View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hi there! 

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Hello everybody! I'm new here on the forum (obviously :P) and i want to introcuce myself a bit.

I'm a 24-year old electronics technician from Bavaria. I like to spend my spare time in virtual worlds simply because i find most leisure activities that take place in the "real" life boring and unimportant, basically just what "mainstream" people say computer games are :blink:
Maybe i should also write something about the nickname i chose as some people might find it unfitting: I found it unnecessary to put a "Midna" in my name as anyone here will probably know i'm her fan anyway, and in lack of something better i just took the same name as i gave to my main avatar in Guild Wars 2. Further on i had been an emotionally withdrawn person in the past and it had been movie characters like Alice that opened my heart for the kind of feelings i have now for Midna.

But now the important part: My experiences with The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Note: When i bought myseld a copy of LoZ: Twilight Princess, it came to a time very inopportune for playing video games. I joined the armed forces just shortly after so i couldn't play the game very often and after having completed my military service, i moved out of my parent's house and didn't have an own Wii at my flat for some time (i had used my sister's console before) and after i had got myself one, i had to start over, so my first full playthrough happend during quite a long time span and my point of view on the game had time to develop slowly.

When i first saw Midna, i did not know what i should think about her. She looked very cute and had a sweet voice, but at the same time she seemed mysterious and ambiguous and that gorgeous smile of hers could easily be interpreted as an evil grin if one doesn't know her. Basically she seemed like a perfect mix of an angel and a little devil. But then she seemed to be quite nice to Link. Of course she was very bossy, but keeping in mind that she had basically been talking to a dog it hadn't been much of a miracle that she also treated Link like a dog. It didn't take much time for it to become clear that despite her being sassy she didn't have evil intentions and that her heart is pure.

I started to really like her. In the beginning it was just like "What a pleasant companion Link has got this time compared to other Zelda games", but after a short while Midna became the main motivation to continue playing the game, although Twilight Princess was already a great game anyway, probably even a better one than Ocarina of Time. My affinity for her grew each time i turned on the game. I kept pressing the up-arrow-button to ask her about the current situatiuon from time to time (something i would have gladly skipped while i had still been with Navi :P) and also began to relish the short interactions with her like using her portals after having defeated the main bosses or jumping on ledges with her help (where i could hear her giggle :blink:). Then i came to the part where you use the tamed shadow bird to fly from Lake Hylia to Zora's Domain. This had been the first time had felt some strange emotions. During the flight you can hear a melody which reminded my of Midna's Lament which i already knew from Super Smash Bros. Brawl. This variant of Midna's Theme should probably just sound dark as it's played in a dark cave, but for me it already sounded quite sad even though i didn't yet know the exact circumstances at which Midna's Lament is played later in the game.

Then i had finished Lakebed Temple ... The short fight with Zant didn't disturb me that much yet as i thought "Yeah Midna is strong and she has the Fused Shadows now so we don't have much to fear" and i also believed that Lanayru would intervene at some point and so Zant has to be careful. What i wouldn't have expected is that it would be Midna who would (accidentally?) get hit by the spirit's light power. Then the music started. Like i have said before, i already knew it from SSBB and i had read some things about it on the respective youtube-music video and so i instantly thought "Oh God, is it that part now? She ... she will die in this scene, won't she?" Moreover didn't the music sound like something one would expect for a rush. It wasn't some wild, fast-paced music that gives you the "Hurry up!"-feel, it sounded just sad (in combination with the pouring rain even more) and in that situation also desperate, like Midna's death would be inevitable. In that moment i finally realized how much i actually cared for the cute little imp. Tears started to well up in my eyes and i began running to the castle as fast as i could, driven by Midna's constant gasping. When i saw that i couldn't simply enter the castle through the front door and took a few minutes to notice the cats that would have wanted to give me some advice, i became more and more desperate myself and also quite stressed as i thought "But she doesn't have much time left!!". At last we reached Princess Zelda. I also liked her quite a lot, she had been my favorite character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and probably also a reason why i bought that game, but when she made her sacrifice to save Midna, i didn't feel a thing for her, i was just happy that Midna would survive. When Midna said to Link "Please ... STOP HER!", i just answered: "Sorry Midna, but i would never do this... I simply couldn't".

After this scene, when i was out there again with a fully healed Midna on my wolf-back i enjoyed using her ablilities more then ever before and in the Sacred Grove i often defeated those strange wooden creatures with the shadow circle although a basic spin-attack would have sufficed, just because using Midna-skills gave me that pleasant "I have her back now"-feeling, something that's actually what anyone on this forum is striving for. And i seriously hope that there will be the day when we all can enjoy this feeling again. Otherwise it would be a waste of great potential and the loss of probably the best designed video game character ever made.

ps.: I really like those Midna-style Smilies, in my opinion they show more than anything else how serious you people are about this :rave:

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Tyranny with a Smile!

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: My diabolical lair in Soviet Russia, 500 miles below the Earth's crust.
Project Alice! ^_^ It's so nice that you have come to introduce yourself. Great testimonial by the way, and we hope that you feel at home here. Every member counts. :)

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:50 pm

Kawaii incarnate

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

Hi there Alice (Hope I can call you this, otherwise, say so!).
I'm Ivan, or 'he the not so terrible' and I'm also a fairly new member here. That's a nice introduction you got there, it was a pleasure reading it, and those smilies are awesome indeed!
Well, i guess there's nothing more to say than: Welcome, enjoy your stay here at WMB! ^_^

Countless choices define our fate, for the future is never truly set.

Cheers.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:51 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Hi there!
Greetings, newcomer, and welcome to WMB! I'm the master of FEZ's, the only man capable to turn games into alcohol for myself. :twisted: I'm glad to see more members come aboard! Also, I couldn't tell by your testimonial, but you have finished Twilight Princess, right?

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:17 pm

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Dr. Dastardly wrote:
and we hope that you feel at home here.
Well, i have been looking for people who take virtual characters they like as serious as i do. But i always knew that there have to be some out there. After all, affinity towards virtual worlds is rather evolution than degeneration, right?

notterribleivan wrote:
Hi there Alice (Hope I can call you this, otherwise, say so!).
Of course. The guild i mentioned even called me that way when we had a real life meeting :blink:

notterribleivan wrote:
That's a nice introduction you got there, it was a pleasure reading it,
So i assume i didn't mess up the english past tenses that much? :twisted:

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
Also, I couldn't tell by your testimonial, but you have finished Twilight Princess, right?
Project Alice wrote:
so my first full playthrough happend during quite a long time span
To be honest, i didn't achieve 100% yet, this will probably take some more years if i don't watch a full let's play (like it had been with Ocarine of Time which i still couldn't clear 100% even after about my 15. or so story-run). But i think you rather meant storywise: yes, i know how it ended. So much about that superstition that says broken mirrors give you bad luck ...

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 am

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Welcome Alice :) That was a great read. And no, it looks like you didn't mess up the tenses. I'm LWM. It's nice to have you aboard. If there's anything this place is useful for, it certainly is talking about fictional characters very seriously ^_^

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:26 am

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Post Re: Hi there!
Hey, great read. Welcome.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 pm
Profile YIM

Welcome to The Twilight...

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

Sorry I'm a bit late, Tend to do that a lot cause I'm a huge procrastinator. :3 Welcome to WMB! I'm Pretty Much a Midna addict, as shown on my Computer, Iphone and Iphone case :P! We have a lot of stuff in common but as long as you like Midna, We'll get along juuuust fine :D

I will never forget Midna. Till they day I die, Midna will be forever alive in my heart.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]