View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Recent Spambot Influx - REGISTRATION OPENED AGAIN KINDA 

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Recent Spambot Influx - REGISTRATION CLOSED
Actually, that may be a good idea. I wanted to do that originally when we first set up, but it wasn't possible then. phpBB3 has since updated and we now have a "New Members" usergroup that people are automatically added to when they have under a certain number of posts. I could totally do that now.

WHAT DO I DO???
Welcome to WMB. Anyone interested in contributing can go to this thread. There's something for everyone, and we're always open to new ideas! Contributing is also the way you can get into a usergroup or, for the particularly unique contributors, special ranks.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Yay now lets all give Pud a virtual air high five for the cool idea! *puts hand in the air waiting for someone to air five me* Don't leave me hangin lol. Please? So what will this be like anyways? does this mean people who aren't members can't read the forums? Or is it just like when you join it automaticly will poof you to the We Want Midna Back Board?

Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 am

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

It means new members will only be able to post in the one board.

WHAT DO I DO???
Welcome to WMB. Anyone interested in contributing can go to this thread. There's something for everyone, and we're always open to new ideas! Contributing is also the way you can get into a usergroup or, for the particularly unique contributors, special ranks.

Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:12 am
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Pudabudigada wrote:
Given the relatively small number of members joining, could you maybe make new members 'probationary' with posting access to only the 'We want Midna back' thread to introduce themselves. Admins could check the posts they make to verify that they are not bots and then allow full access.

Agreed, sounds great (and if it is a problem to have time to do this, I will check all new posts everyday anyway, and I am always volunteer, remember that ;) )

Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 am

Here today, Maybe tomorrow...

Bearer of the Triforce

Bearer of the Triforce

I'm sorry but can we reiterate why this is important? All I got out of this topic was lulz from CP and CS's banter and something about spambots.

In all matters of being slightly serious Pud has a point. Besides that way we can also deny that child with asperger's admittance. That and we can turn the spambot's topic into a pile of lulz before deletion, always a fun thing to do on forums, especially when mods join in.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:29 am

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

You know I'm all for lulz, but not in every topic made by a spambot. There's also the issue that as long as the topic is there, it's basically attracting other spambots with backlinks to WMB. So any mod that sits and snickers over a spam topic is an idiot.

WHAT DO I DO???

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 am
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

You know another thing that can be useful? Admin activation. You can make your account and even authenticate yourself with your email, but until any admin actually activates your account, you just can't start posting. While this is a bit tedious since it would require admins to be 24/7 in WMB making sure that the right members join in, this is a good way to keep spambots on bay since they just can't do shit without proper permission.

A good suggestion until this spambot fiesta finally ends, I do think.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:22 pm
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Legendboy wrote:
it would require admins to be 24/7 in WMB

Do I smell need of volunteers?

Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Hurr hurr, no. We tried that once for a bit, and it was just annoying. I don't like getting 100 emails a day and needing to go through and figure if any of them are real people. And we're really not hiring new admins just for the sake of that.

WHAT DO I DO???

Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Bringer of the Metal

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Legendboy wrote:
You know another thing that can be useful? Admin activation. You can make your account and even authenticate yourself with your email, but until any admin actually activates your account, you just can't start posting. While this is a bit tedious since it would require admins to be 24/7 in WMB making sure that the right members join in, this is a good way to keep spambots on bay since they just can't do shit without proper permission.

A good suggestion until this spambot fiesta finally ends, I do think.

Hm. I have to agree with Yitik on this one.

We had this problem at GBS awhile ago, I kept getting hundreds of emails per day from spambots trying to register. And it can sometimes be difficult to sort spambots from people - especially when you're not paying too much attention to individual cases because you're determined to sort through the one, two, three hundred accounts you're trying to pass judgement on.

Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next