View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Recent Spambot Influx - REGISTRATION OPENED AGAIN KINDA 

Post Re: Recent Spambot Influx - REGISTRATION CLOSED
Ploso wrote:
Yitik wrote:
A few modifications: a new user is anyone with less than 10 posts, and they can post in any board they like, but can only start new threads in WWMB.

Eerrmm I think that like half of the spambots post in already existing threads, only some create ones of their own. Did I get this right?

No, they generally don't. There are a few, yes, but they normally make new threads. I am a bit reluctant on letting guests post in the WMB News section. There have been no "actual" posts by guests since we implemented them, and the ones that had guest replies were by spammers.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Post Re: Recent Spambot Influx - REGISTRATION OPENED AGAIN KINDA
We just need to make it clear that they can. Otherwise, just remove it. I suggest posting something on the front page saying that guests are allowed to comment in the forums' newsposts.

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 pm
Profile WWW

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

We have. There are also supposed to be links from the newspost's title to its thread here.

Also, no spambots so far. My plan worked. I told you so.

WHAT DO I DO???
Welcome to WMB. Anyone interested in contributing can go to this thread. There's something for everyone, and we're always open to new ideas! Contributing is also the way you can get into a usergroup or, for the particularly unique contributors, special ranks.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 am
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Yeah! No more scary Russain spambots lol. Oh and the ones i usually start their own lil thread... that really quickly gets big lol

Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:50 am

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Midnator wrote:
Yeah! No more scary Russain spambots lol. Oh and the ones i usually start their own lil thread... that really quickly gets big lol

I beg to differ...some "Nelson" just dived in to bother us. Grr.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 am
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Or simply apply the lurker rank to only have access to the intro board. Simple, and the Lurker joke lives on. ^_^

Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:11 am
Profile WWW

Triforce of Power

Triforce of Power

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Since you get Forumite at 10, and all the ones before that hearken towards the fact that they're nubs (One-Post Wonder, WMB Newbie, Neophyte), we should be able to tell just fine.

WHAT DO I DO???
Welcome to WMB. Anyone interested in contributing can go to this thread. There's something for everyone, and we're always open to new ideas! Contributing is also the way you can get into a usergroup or, for the particularly unique contributors, special ranks.

Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

I've been pretty close here checking the forum, and it seems like spambots still hit hard in forums. I'm reading here that adding a simple question, completely apart from CAPTCHA, could easily deter spambots since they simply go under an automated process. Like, fill in certain fields, read the CAPTCHA...done. But they forget the extra question...

Write the first letter on the word "young": (or something like this)

And they won't get registered. A spin-off of that question would be adding two digits.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:18 am
Profile WWW

Legendboy wrote:
I've been pretty close here checking the forum, and it seems like spambots still hit hard in forums. I'm reading here that adding a simple question, completely apart from CAPTCHA, could easily deter spambots since they simply go under an automated process. Like, fill in certain fields, read the CAPTCHA...done. But they forget the extra question...

Write the first letter on the word "young": (or something like this)

And they won't get registered. A spin-off of that question would be adding two digits.

I have been experimenting around a bit with spambot countermeasures to see which one would provide the best results. I agree with you in that a Q&A firewall will prove to be more efficient than a captcha. I set it up just now, and I will let it run for a two to three week trial period. The question is actually very easy and any real member should get it right no problem.

Secondly, I decided to remove guests posting permissions in WMB News. Ever since this feature was implemented, we have been receiving only spambot posts. Not once has a single person wrote a relevant comment. I'm still keeping my eyes open for any new method to prevent bots from registering.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 am

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Can't you like have a limit on how fast you can sign up for the forum? I mean, doesn't a bot join in less than, what, ten seconds when they get the chance? What if we had a limit that the sign up has to take atleast one minute before they can join? I have never been working with spambots before, so I don't know if they would be waiting for this timelimit to go out or if they actually would leave. I fear the worst. Anyway, just putting this idea here in case you find it interesting.

Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6