View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Sneak Preview! - WMB 3.0 

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

I got a WIP page up. It's in my servers. You can go ahead and interact with it all ya want and let me know if it needs any additional details.

Let's just say I had fun with this little project. :3

http://spaceloonies.com/rareaddict/

BTW, the slideshow might need some changes..any ideas?

Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:29 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Sneak Preview! - WMB 3.0
This looks pretty good. Again, I don't really have too much to say, so I'm sorry if I'm not too much help. However, while this is not a problem with the update itself, I did notice a problem with the testimonials. The way they're supposed to be formatted is to have the person's testimonial and then the user's name at the bottom, right? Well, some of them have the signatures misplaced. My testimonial is directly below my signature, and I'm assuming that's the case with some others. I know that some of the testimonials are properly aligned, so I'm not sure what happened.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

That's likely how the Testimonials were made, as it's a direct copy of the page from WMB itself. I'm gonna be sending messages to admins and contributors to see if they can give feedback on the page itself. Stay tuned.

Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:57 pm
Profile WWW

ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴇᴅ ɢᴏᴅ

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Hey, guys. I didn't do too much with it, but I assisted with a few small aspects of the 2.0 design (iirc it was mainly getting the navbar to work the way it was supposed to), but I'm willing to help out again if needed. In terms of feedback, the functionality is good. Though visually, it seems pretty generic, and I think a little more creativity with the styling could be done. Minimalist and vector designs are "in" right now, yes, but I kind of miss the Twilight runes. Strategically placing a simplistic version of what we already have might go a long way, actually.

I feel dumb kind of waltzing in here after having been relatively inactive for probably a year, but I've been doing a decent amount of things with web design during that period, so I figured I could brainstorm a bit. On a side note, I think it would be pretty cool to have a forum theme to match the main site. I might be able to figure something out regarding that, too. I'll have to get back to you on that, though. I don't think I currently have an active install of phpBB on my localhost.

--We are still using Wordpress for the main site, right? I do still have an install of that, so I might be able to goof around with some rune placement and see where that gets me.

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 am

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Made some changes with the site, I appreciate if feedback is left.

BTW, I would like people to tell me any changes that needs to be done, such as fonts, additional pages, etc.

Just a thought.

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:21 pm
Profile WWW

ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴇᴅ ɢᴏᴅ

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Oooh, I like this. I think my biggest complaint would be the banner logo, though. The "WMB" is too dark, and is hard to read. And the mask it's on top of looks a bit aliased, which is kind of distracting. Other than that, I think everything looks great.

As for potential changes? Maybe something with the sidebar? I don't know what, exactly, but something feels lacking with it. You could possibly shade it slightly darker/lighter than the main content background. That might work. And, fonts. With modern web design, there's all of these really obscure "hipster" fonts that everyone uses that goes with their minimalist design, and I've never really cared for them. Roboto I think is a pretty common one. The one you're using right now is kind of wider than I think you should go for, however. For me, I usually wind up settling for Helvetica/Helvetica Neue, since it still seems to be commonly used with modern design, but that's up to you.

One more thing, though. The way you have the top nav set up to reappear as you scroll causes it to duplicate when you return to the top of the page. That might be something worth looking into fixing as well. (screenshot)

I think other than that, you're good though. uwu

Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 am

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Vanadium wrote:
Oooh, I like this. I think my biggest complaint would be the banner logo, though. The "WMB" is too dark, and is hard to read. And the mask it's on top of looks a bit aliased, which is kind of distracting. Other than that, I think everything looks great.

I've talked to Spookypatrol about this, but so far I'm having a hard time trying to get the aliased correctly. The fused shadow is really hard to scale to the point that it doesn't look fuzzy, so I had to do my best to make it stand out a bit. If anyone wants to dive in and make a better job at it, let me know. (Find all the PSD files here)

Vanadium wrote:
As for potential changes? Maybe something with the sidebar? I don't know what, exactly, but something feels lacking with it. You could possibly shade it slightly darker/lighter than the main content background. That might work. And, fonts. With modern web design, there's all of these really obscure "hipster" fonts that everyone uses that goes with their minimalist design, and I've never really cared for them. Roboto I think is a pretty common one. The one you're using right now is kind of wider than I think you should go for, however. For me, I usually wind up settling for Helvetica/Helvetica Neue, since it still seems to be commonly used with modern design, but that's up to you.

The sidebar was something I thought of spicing it up, but I've kind of decided to keep things uniform and make everything a single color. Then again, it's up to debate. The font...I was trying to find something that looks legible, yet gives a fantasy look to the site. It might change in the future, but who knows.

Vanadium wrote:
One more thing, though. The way you have the top nav set up to reappear as you scroll causes it to duplicate when you return to the top of the page. That might be something worth looking into fixing as well. (screenshot)

I think other than that, you're good though. uwu

I also saw that, unfortunately with how the site works, if I didn't setup the top bar this way it would hide completely once you scroll down the slideshow. It's a minor inconvenience, but I might look into it so that it doesn't look to jarring once you scroll up to the beginning.

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴇᴅ ɢᴏᴅ

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Nah, it's fine, don't worry about it. Now that it's live, it looks pretty great, I must say. Idk about the hoverstate of the slideshow caption, though. It's kind of weird, mainly because it is only applied when hovering the caption itself instead of the entire slideshow container. That's an easy fix though. As for the logo, I could possibly delve into the .psd's and take a look, but no promises. The logo on the topnav looks fine, though, so it's not urgent.

And then back to fonts. With fonts, you want to be careful. I know you said you want something fantasy-ish (probably like something slightly resembling a calligraphic or blackletter font), but it poses a risk of clashing with everything else on the page especially the font in the logo. Because the font in the logo is already a decorative font, you want to make sure that whatever font you choose goes with it. That's why most people just stick with a sans-serif and call it a day. Certain font styles compliment others quite well, and others, not so much. Here's a graphic with some good examples of what I'm talking about. I almost want to suggest a serif font, rather than a sans-serif, but that's entirely up to you. Do you prefer just using Google's webfonts resource? I could probably look through there and see if there's something that I think might be good.

I'll go ahead and get you started with a few fonts, though. The only reason these come to mind is because they're used on the Hyrule Warriors websites. This first one is the primary font used on the official North American Hyrule Warriors site. So I imagine it has the sort of subtle "fantasy" feel you're looking for, while still being just your average serif font.
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Della+Respira

And the Japanese site:
https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/softmaker/quadrat-serial/

The latter is actually a font that's been used in both Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D to display location and boss names on the screen, so that one may give more of a direct "Zelda" feel.

For the nav, I think you should use a different font, though. Probably an all-uppercase titling font. That's just my two cents. The font you're using for the logo appears to be a decorated version of Trajan, so it probably could be pulled off quite nicely.

One more. Like Della Respira, I pulled this from the North American Hyrule Warriors site:
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Cinzel

This is the site with Quadrat on the body and Trajan in the nav. Idk if this is the look you're going for, but I tried.
...I do have the tendency to go on tangents about fonts. I am really passionate about fonts. My apologies.

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2