View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 WMB's Direction 

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Well, after today's fruitful day, I figured now is a good opportunity to discuss where to go from here. This thread is not open only to suggestions for WMB's future, but I'll also be posting our recent achievements, and my own short-term goals and ideas to continue to move forward with WMB as we did today, rather than fall victim once more to a lack of interest and activity.

Achievements:

In the last couple days (particularly today), there's been a fantastic turnaround with hope for this site, not due to its original purpose, but rather caused by the strength (and absurdity) of its community. We've kickstarted:

Organized usergroups, with newly elected active-member leadership

Avatar galleries (which, although are being minimally used, I'm still pretty proud of :P)

User badges (plenty of inside jokes! And now that these are functional, this is the first step to prepping them for competition awards)

An amazing thread. Perhaps this last one was what did it. Thanks to Omega's ridiculousness, and Ivan's proactivity, followed by a mass influx of community participation, I think everyone got an amazing laugh, and had the best time they've had in a very long time here on WMB. Maybe the cause is starting to die down, but hell if we can't still have a good time as a community.

Light x Rare x Spoopy 4evr

It's hard to follow up after such a successful day like today, but that isn't going to stop me from trying to not let this be the last time we have fun on WMB. With a little participation from everyone, I think we still have a noble community, and plenty room for activities and growth.

Proposals:

So here's what I'm thinking. I'm going to break down today's successes and offer ways to expand upon them, in order.

Usergroups:
Now that usergroups are organized with updated leadership, it's only fair to actually *do* something with them, yeah? There are nifty features with Usergroups that allow them to get certain board exclusivity, so I'm thinking that may be a direction we can go. Treating usergroups as proper groups and encouraging members to participate with one another, such as opening clubs, will give a bit more incentive to earn your way into one, as well as add more cachet for being in one. Usergroup participation would be key, then, instead of just something to add to your mini-profile.

Before we knew a gallery could be made, quite a few of us had some fun making avatars (by Rei's excellent recommendation!). I definitely think this should be continued, and perhaps this idea as a whole expanded upon. I'll look into a way to make galleries for signatures and icons, too, so we can allow people to take from a more massive pool of images apart from avatars.

Non-artists shouldn't be discouraged from participating here. There's always an opportunity to offer suggestions, and surely someone will get around to it.

User Badges:
This goes hand-in-hand with competitions. Although non-competition badges are being given out (clearly), these still require either a lot of luck or a lot of participation to earn. I definitely believe competitions are something we should consider starting up again, but with more solid and regular ideas. Of course, this requires community participation, or else the competitions won't succeed for anyone! But let's definitely not let go of this idea. It's a good one, and as long as people participate, it can make for fun projects.

If usergroups form their own clubs and projects, it's possible we can hold large competitions that pull the force of each club. For example, a "create a Zelda dungeon" competition can be held in phases, where the Writer club/guild writes up a backstory for the dungeon, the Hand Artist group creates a basic concept for some of the rooms, the Graphics Artist can create the boss designs or aesthetics, the Musician group can create dungeon music, etc etc. Of course, members who are not in groups can still participate, since no one wants to exclude anyone. Perhaps individuals here could try to tag along with one of the group projects and earn their way into a group themselves. :P

Dat Amazing Thread:
This is definitely more of what we need. Although of course the forum can't thrive solely on spam and games, we certainly all had a great time. This kind of unhinged community interaction shouldn't be frowned upon, although I think it served to prove that we do have a pretty tight community that hasn't quite stopped kicking yet. Although I don't have any specific ideas for how we can continue to do things like this thread, I can certainly say that we can use the enthusiasm we had here, the randomness, the shameless expressiveness, and the fun in just about anything we make. (so long as it stays on topic when appropriate :P)

Also, Rei, that WMB's inspirational quotes thing still needs to happen.

-------------

I'm hoping this is a good kick-starter for you guys. I know today certainly motivated me. You guys rock, and let's keep this community kicking, guyses.

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:54 am
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Spookypatrol wrote:
Light x Rare x Spoopy 4evr

praise the trifarce

I really wish I could talk about the project I am working on but I don't want to share it and then it doesn't work right, but it's something everyone can do, and I hope everyone enjoys *wheezes*

I'm really proud of u spoopy you did so good today
Everyone did really well, we got stuff actually DONE and it was good to see everyone interact, haha.

I'm really tired so that's all I'll say for now... I might say more things tomorrow about ideas possible :?

send me great quotes you see on wmb and i might make them ~beautiful and inspring~
me x ghirahim lee pace 5ever

Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 am

WMB Gravekeeper

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

I could imagine a Xbox badge for known reasons, but thats just due to my limitations.

Also, the more smilies link does not work for me, can you try extending the currently show list?

Lament the old days, where everyone was excited for news of Midna being in Hyrule Warriors, and times before that... And now, it's just dust. Unfortunately, all good things are bound to come to an end.

But new good things always have an opportunity to spring up. Where there was WMB, before it truly found its end, a few members moved to a new site, created by our own. DnDarknuts, a Zelda-based roleplay forum.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:06 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: WMB's Direction
Spookypatrol wrote:
Usergroups:
Treating usergroups as proper groups and encouraging members to participate with one another, such as opening clubs, will give a bit more incentive to earn your way into one, as well as add more cachet for being in one. Usergroup participation would be key, then, instead of just something to add to your mini-profile.

I already tried something like this. In my game reviews and Top 10s I usually encourage people to share their opinions and...sometimes it works, but not often. It's not anything special I do, but I thought of throwing it out there.

Spookypatrol wrote:
User Badges:
This goes hand-in-hand with competitions. Although non-competition badges are being given out (clearly), these still require either a lot of luck or a lot of participation to earn. I definitely believe competitions are something we should consider starting up again, but with more solid and regular ideas. Of course, this requires community participation, or else the competitions won't succeed for anyone! But let's definitely not let go of this idea. It's a good one, and as long as people participate, it can make for fun projects.

If usergroups form their own clubs and projects, it's possible we can hold large competitions that pull the force of each club. For example, a "create a Zelda dungeon" competition can be held in phases, where the Writer club/guild writes up a backstory for the dungeon, the Hand Artist group creates a basic concept for some of the rooms, the Graphics Artist can create the boss designs or aesthetics, the Musician group can create dungeon music, etc etc. Of course, members who are not in groups can still participate, since no one wants to exclude anyone. Perhaps individuals here could try to tag along with one of the group projects and earn their way into a group themselves. :P

This is definitely something I agree with. Holding competitions like this will almost indefinitely increase activity. Something I'm sure people will assume but I'm throwing out there, I'd also like to see competitions within each group.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:51 am

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Spooky, I believe now that you have earned the white cloak. You are doing awesome. :D
I definitely like the suggestion of activities and competitions with the usergroups, though to be perfectly honest I'm not great at coming up with initial ideas. I would be happy to participate once we do have ideas rolling though, and I'll try to help with the brainstorming if I can.
I concur that being too strict on spam is not helping WMB, but it is also true that it can't be all we do. Perhaps we can lock the spam threads that become long, repetitive, and not very interesting to encourage new ideas that will be more fun and help bring us together like yesterday?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:35 am

Kawaii incarnate

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

twilightstarr wrote:
Perhaps we can lock the spam threads that become long, repetitive, and not very interesting to encourage new ideas that will be more fun and help bring us together like yesterday?

This is a good idea.
Still, although I know rules are needed to prevent stuff, I'm sure that most people around here are mature enough to know when to stop. And if it eventually get's too spammy there're always admins around to lock threads/warn people, right?

Countless choices define our fate, for the future is never truly set.

Cheers.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:46 am

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

I think yesterday made me realise I was wrong about the spam - I can't encourage you guys to post more things with meaning by sticking rules all over the place. Rather, you make better posts when you have free reign. And thus... I'm going to remove whatever rules I had imposed. Deciding whether something is off topic or not shall be entirely at the modmins's digression.

In return, all that I ask is that you're all sensible about trying to keep people (mostly yourselves) on topic and creating new threads when needs be. For as long as I've admined here I've realised you guys are pretty good at enforcing the rules between yourselves.

And one more thing! In favour of WMB's activeness, I'm gunna talk to the competitions team today about getting them up and running really soon (hopefully today, I think Saturday is our competition day) and it'd be great if everyone tried their best to participate. Okay? ^_^

Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:57 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

LightWorldMidna wrote:
I think yesterday made me realise I was wrong about the spam - I can't encourage you guys to post more things with meaning by sticking rules all over the place. Rather, you make better posts when you have free reign. And thus... I'm going to remove whatever rules I had imposed. Deciding whether something is off topic or not shall be entirely at the modmins's digression.

In return, all that I ask is that you're all sensible about trying to keep people (mostly yourselves) on topic and creating new threads when needs be. For as long as I've admined here I've realised you guys are pretty good at enforcing the rules between yourselves.

I probably should've mentioned this both times rules were enforced on General Discussion and spam; we don't post under other threads because we don't find them interesting, like the Gaming and Zelda threads. We post under spam often because, well, there are going to be plenty of times where we can't think of anything to say in those threads. We're not always going to have Zelda theories to discuss or game reviews to make, and this is a time where it's hard for most of us to think of something to say. Admittedly I did used to get carried away with the spam games, but I'm trying to give focus to other threads as well while I fool around there. Thankfully, with the release of Hyrule Warriors coming soon this will change.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:18 pm

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Personally I'd like to see more discussion in the Serious Discussion threads. Debates have always been quite interesting to me, and I wouldn't mind discussing current events, either. But it seems whenever something happens in that thread it's normally only Twist posting.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:36 pm

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

LightWorldMidna wrote:
Personally I'd like to see more discussion in the Serious Discussion threads. Debates have always been quite interesting to me, and I wouldn't mind discussing current events, either. But it seems whenever something happens in that thread it's normally only Twist posting.

I used to post there often too, but interest in it seems to be declining so I thought it wasn't worth attempting anymore. I too would like to have activity there again. When I first joined--really joined that is--serious discussion was my favorite part of the place. I'm sure I could think of something to start there. I might not get there till tomorrow though, as I'm going to be rather out and about with my family today.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next