View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sneak Preview! - WMB 3.0 

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

UPDATE 09-11-2015:

I got a WIP page up. It's in my servers. You can go ahead and interact with it all ya want and let me know if it needs any additional details.

Let's just say I had fun with this little project. :3

http://spaceloonies.com/rareaddict/

BTW, the slideshow might need some changes..any ideas?

UPDATE 09-06-2015:

Okay, I’ve been taking a gander at some of the things we need to address when fixing the website, specifically updating it to have a more modern, up-to-date feel, but also to tidy it up to make more sense in the long run. Here’s just a few of the things I wanted to get done, based on every page:

• Home Page

The main navigation and the menu bars need to be united and treated as a single menu. Having two menus may confuse the visitor and they could get lost. It’s also a good idea that the menu is easily accessible at all times.

The slideshow needs to be bigger and more visible to the viewer. That way we can be able to advertise new content more often. Its banners will also be more about new news discussions, side-projects, and affiliates, but we’ll remove any connection to old projects such as Invocation of Twilight and the Testimonials.

I’m moving the Affiliates to the footer. While they’re important and we need to discuss about them, they’re more suited to be somewhere in the bottom. That way we can bring the Poll section to the top, where it’s more visible. Also, popular posts will pop up in the right column.

Speaking of columns, I’m getting rid of the left column entirely, leaving space for the news articles to stand out more. The social links will now be on the very top, so that it’s the first thing that visitors will see – so that they can follow us easily. The Donate button is also there, allowing users to quickly put a donation via PayPal.

Want Midna Back’s historic pages will now be downplayed and found in the footer section of the page, leaving important sections such as the chatroom and the forums standing out in the menu. The site’s actual history, however, remains in the main menu – to allow users to peek into our journey.

The menu is meant to change as new categories are being established – for example, if we want to have an entire category dedicated to artwork, it can be established; or maybe with a category that’s all about Midna will have its own menu entry as well – all using tags and categories if necessary.

A small disclaimer/copyright entry can be found on the bottom of the site. Just for kicks.

• Pages in General

All major pages will have a 1100x400px banner to introduce the visitor to said page. Other than that, it’s pretty much a very similar experience like the main page, albeit without a slideshow – and there will be only one column.

• Gallery

We’ll have only one gallery now: screenshots. Also, the music section will be split up to promote the Invocation of Twilight and re-orchestrations done by the community.

• Staff

We’ll update the staff page to represent all the major contributors from past and present, including staff members who have contributed in more ways than one to the site long after they’ve left WMB. I’m also going to be including titles for you as well, such as Rare being the head administrator, LWM as contributor, etc. (that’s up to Rare to decide the titles for each administrator)

• Contact Us

Contact Us will have a form on its own; this way, we’ll be able to receive emails faster and more efficiently, as the user can simply email Rare or anyone in the WMB community easier. I’m also setting up an email client for social inquiries, questions about the site, and anything that viewers have in mind. (Don’t worry Rare – all emails will still be forwarded to you as well by request.)

• Site in general

We’ll remove many of the comment sections in some of the pages that don’t need it. I’m also inserting a Captcha system – because spam needs to be controlled, fast. Also, the site will finally be mobile-friendly, allowing the site to be adjusted in size for smaller screens without the need of a separate app or additional programming. This will definitely boost our website in the Google search scores, so it was an absolute necessity that we integrate this feature.

Social pages such as Facebook, Twitter, DeviantArt and Tumblr will all have new updates based on the new look as well, and expect a makeover for the forum in the near future.

These are just from the top of my head, but we'll be working on them as the time comes by. This might also be a great time to discuss other features you want to see implemented into the site. Fire away.

ORIGINAL POST:

Shhhhhh...this is between you and me. I haven't told Rare anything about doing this, but since you're some of the most loyal members this side of the community, I've decided to let you know what we have in store. Now I know a lot of you have been wondering the future of the website, as well as the possibility of a name change. Well...I personally don't see a need for it, but that's entirely up to the community.

That said, the website NEEDS a huge overhaul. There's a lot that works: Wordpress is a great foundation, and the fact that it's a great place to share content to social media is cool, but we need to fix a lot of stuff. Redundant links need to be cleaned up, affiliates pruned, more focus on social sites, and most importantly...mobile-friendly. Well...I've taken the task into designing a new look for the site, and here's the progress of it:

Spoiler HTML code

Clicky Here

Click to view entire image

Using GeneratePress - a very powerful Wordpress theme if I may say so myself - I've managed to get the site modern-looking and cleaned a lot of the details that made me feel...rather uneasy. Now I'm doing this over my own server at Spaceloonies.com, and I'd love to get some feedback from the community. Think the colors could change? Will a better font be a better idea? Should I add anything else that is missing? Don't hesitate in talking, I'll be following this thread closely. (By the way, affiliates are now at the footer of the site, while we are going to focus most of our content on the right sidebar for popular posts and polls)

And while I'd love to do a bunch of Photoshop stuff, I don't think I'll be able to make enough banners for the content that we need to release in the site. Namely...over 20 banners.

=O Yeah, that's a lot.

That's where you come in. I'd like to ask a bit of help in getting this started. First, I'm gonna post the list of pages where we're going to work on at the site, at the core of its content. I'm gonna be doing a couple (likely 2-3 at most) but I want to see if people would contribute as well. SO...here we go:

Banner size: 1100x400 pixels (based on the size of the site itself)
Pages that will require banners:
• Homepage Slideshow (Minimum of 5 banners, each with links)
o New Website design!
o Hyrule Warriors Midna
o Mirror of Twilight Replica
o Invocation of Twilight*
o Any affiliates worth mentioning at this time
• Chat (Smaller – 1100x200px, will symbolize community)
• Gallery
o Graphic Art
o Screenshots
o Hand Art
• Music
• Videos
• Projects
• History
• Staff
• Affiliates
• FAQ
• Midna Recognition
• Testimonials
• Contact Us

So...yeah. Feedback, help, and any ideas that you may have to improve WMB in general. Whatcha think? :3

Last edited by Legendboy on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Sneak Preview! - WMB 3.0
Ah, our site's receiving another upgrade? This'll be interesting. I'm glad to see you making such an ambitious project! I'm not tech-savvy at all, unfortunately. However, this does look pretty good. I like the Most Popular section on the right side so that we get more discussions going for certain topics, but is this based on views or comments? As for aesthetics, again, I'm not the best person to ask since I don't usually care. However, I do like the black toolbar you have at the top. It contrasts well with the white background.

Admittedly, I had thought of adding a Chat link along on the left side of the current version of the site page so that others would find the chat more often. However, now that you mentioned redundancy, it does feel cleaner to have that along with the forums tucked in the Community tab at the top. This way more people will see it.

Other than that, I don't have much to say. I'm not an artist, so unfortunately, I can't help with banners. There are quite a few people on here that will, though. Again, I'm really glad to see this!

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:58 pm

The Corvid Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Unfortunately while I am a digital artist by hobby, I haven't done anything in a long while and college started back up this week so I am not sure if I can do anything right now (really busy semester). That being said, I do have some Midna fanart already made that could be used and I MIGHT be able to whip up something like in my signature for some of the banners. Nothing fancy though and no guarantees. Still this is a great idea to revitalize the site.

Curiosus quasi Corvus

korppi8 x ravens/crows forever!!!!

EVERYTHING IS MORE EPIC IN CAPS!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 am
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Heh, I think Rare will be happy to hear about this. Seems like launching a new site would also be a good time to debut a new name, if that does come to pass.

I like the design of it, although it is very simple. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of the current background on the main site. For such a dark colour themed design, it's far too bright and flashy.

I'm happy to help with the banners if you'd like. Let me know any other specs for them and the like and I'll try to get them done before I go back to college. The main site needs a new banner as well (shows how well we've kept up to date with the site, still having the winter banner at the end of summer, huh). If there are no other takers, I'll do that, too.

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:17 am

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
Ah, our site's receiving another upgrade? This'll be interesting. I'm glad to see you making such an ambitious project! I'm not tech-savvy at all, unfortunately. However, this does look pretty good. I like the Most Popular section on the right side so that we get more discussions going for certain topics, but is this based on views or comments? As for aesthetics, again, I'm not the best person to ask since I don't usually care. However, I do like the black toolbar you have at the top. It contrasts well with the white background.

Admittedly, I had thought of adding a Chat link along on the left side of the current version of the site page so that others would find the chat more often. However, now that you mentioned redundancy, it does feel cleaner to have that along with the forums tucked in the Community tab at the top. This way more people will see it.

Other than that, I don't have much to say. I'm not an artist, so unfortunately, I can't help with banners. There are quite a few people on here that will, though. Again, I'm really glad to see this!

GeneratePress is pretty simple to mess around with, but it does take a bit of coding experience to know what to do when working with web page design. That said, the concept I have is to use colors that are usually associated with Midna - gray, black, azure, green...that kind of stuff. I haven't used orange yet, though.

korppi8 wrote:
Unfortunately while I am a digital artist by hobby, I haven't done anything in a long while and college started back up this week so I am not sure if I can do anything right now (really busy semester). That being said, I do have some Midna fanart already made that could be used and I MIGHT be able to whip up something like in my signature for some of the banners. Nothing fancy though and no guarantees. Still this is a great idea to revitalize the site.

That's all I'm asking for. We can use the available assets to work with these banners. That's why I ask here because I believe there's a lot of people who are willing to contribute their own projects for this type of requests.

LightWorldMidna wrote:
Heh, I think Rare will be happy to hear about this. Seems like launching a new site would also be a good time to debut a new name, if that does come to pass.

I like the design of it, although it is very simple. Admittedly I'm not a huge fan of the current background on the main site. For such a dark colour themed design, it's far too bright and flashy.

I'm happy to help with the banners if you'd like. Let me know any other specs for them and the like and I'll try to get them done before I go back to college. The main site needs a new banner as well (shows how well we've kept up to date with the site, still having the winter banner at the end of summer, huh). If there are no other takers, I'll do that, too.

Rare knows more or less that I'm working on the site, though he doesn't know that I'm asking you guys for help personally. So yeah, he's all in for a good shake-up for the site.

By simple, do you mean that it could have something that would make it a bit more lively instead of bland? Let me know, because this is after all an open canvas. And I agree - I didn't like the background either. :P

I've removed the header altogether for a simple logo inside the navigation bar, allowing the slideshow to do its purpose of promoting projects, affiliates, and activities. That way we can bring focus to advertising new content as we produce it over the course of the site's lifespan. In any case, all banners will have an 1100x400 pixels dimension, so use that as a starting point alongside the list I have in the initial post and you should be good to go.

And thanks to everyone for replying!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:42 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but I might as well. I think we could use an upgraded chat server. Compared to other chats I've used, WMB's chat server is not very good. It has no notification system when you're on another tab, making talking much less convenient. I don't have too much in the ways of suggestions for how to change the server, because again, I'm not too familiar with how this all works. I thought this should be mentioned.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:18 pm

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to put it, but I might as well. I think we could use an upgraded chat server. Compared to other chats I've used, WMB's chat server is not very good. It has no notification system when you're on another tab, making talking much less convenient. I don't have too much in the ways of suggestions for how to change the server, because again, I'm not too familiar with how this all works. I thought this should be mentioned.

Will need a couple of suggestions of which chat clients to use, because I do agree that a better client is overdue.

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:56 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Legendboy wrote:
FEZeldalord12345 wrote:

Will need a couple of suggestions of which chat clients to use, because I do agree that a better client is overdue.

Well I use the chat client KiwiIRC, which is pretty good due to how the tab flashes whenever someone talks. However, it can be annoying to connect to. Sometimes it takes me several tries to connect. Another chat that I frequently go on also uses Mibbit, but it was tweaked around so that it would have the same type of notifications as the Kiwi client. I'm not exactly sure how that works. This is just what I've experienced.

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:40 am

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Okay, I’ve been taking a gander at some of the things we need to address when fixing the website, specifically updating it to have a more modern, up-to-date feel, but also to tidy it up to make more sense in the long run. Here’s just a few of the things I wanted to get done, based on every page:

• Home Page

The main navigation and the menu bars need to be united and treated as a single menu. Having two menus may confuse the visitor and they could get lost. It’s also a good idea that the menu is easily accessible at all times.

The slideshow needs to be bigger and more visible to the viewer. That way we can be able to advertise new content more often. Its banners will also be more about new news discussions, side-projects, and affiliates, but we’ll remove any connection to old projects such as Invocation of Twilight and the Testimonials.

I’m moving the Affiliates to the footer. While they’re important and we need to discuss about them, they’re more suited to be somewhere in the bottom. That way we can bring the Poll section to the top, where it’s more visible. Also, popular posts will pop up in the right column.

Speaking of columns, I’m getting rid of the left column entirely, leaving space for the news articles to stand out more. The social links will now be on the very top, so that it’s the first thing that visitors will see – so that they can follow us easily. The Donate button is also there, allowing users to quickly put a donation via PayPal.

Want Midna Back’s historic pages will now be downplayed and found in the footer section of the page, leaving important sections such as the chatroom and the forums standing out in the menu. The site’s actual history, however, remains in the main menu – to allow users to peek into our journey.

The menu is meant to change as new categories are being established – for example, if we want to have an entire category dedicated to artwork, it can be established; or maybe with a category that’s all about Midna will have its own menu entry as well – all using tags and categories if necessary.

A small disclaimer/copyright entry can be found on the bottom of the site. Just for kicks.

• Pages in General

All major pages will have a 1100x400px banner to introduce the visitor to said page. Other than that, it’s pretty much a very similar experience like the main page, albeit without a slideshow – and there will be only one column.

• Gallery

We’ll have only one gallery now: screenshots. Also, the music section will be split up to promote the Invocation of Twilight and re-orchestrations done by the community.

• Staff

We’ll update the staff page to represent all the major contributors from past and present, including staff members who have contributed in more ways than one to the site long after they’ve left WMB. I’m also going to be including titles for you as well, such as Rare being the head administrator, LWM as contributor, etc. (that’s up to Rare to decide the titles for each administrator)

• Contact Us

Contact Us will have a form on its own; this way, we’ll be able to receive emails faster and more efficiently, as the user can simply email Rare or anyone in the WMB community easier. I’m also setting up an email client for social inquiries, questions about the site, and anything that viewers have in mind. (Don’t worry Rare – all emails will still be forwarded to you as well by request.)

• Site in general

We’ll remove many of the comment sections in some of the pages that don’t need it. I’m also inserting a Captcha system – because spam needs to be controlled, fast. Also, the site will finally be mobile-friendly, allowing the site to be adjusted in size for smaller screens without the need of a separate app or additional programming. This will definitely boost our website in the Google search scores, so it was an absolute necessity that we integrate this feature.

Social pages such as Facebook, Twitter, DeviantArt and Tumblr will all have new updates based on the new look as well, and expect a makeover for the forum in the near future.

These are just from the top of my head, but we'll be working on them as the time comes by. This might also be a great time to discuss other features you want to see implemented into the site. Fire away.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:44 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Hmm...I'm not sure what else to add. I'm glad you're setting up a system for spam. That REALLY needs to be taken care of in the comments.

Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next