View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 LWM's Real Mirror of Twilight Project - Now on sale! 

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Post LWM's Real Mirror of Twilight Project - Now on sale!
20th March 2014

Okay guys! I have good news. I managed to source a new power adaptor for my etching kit, I have spare time every Thursday to etch, and I've worked out some prices ^.^

Spoiler HTML code

Version 1

Spoiler HTML code

Version 2

(I will be replacing the image for the second one when I finish polishing the design up, that image is a little rough)

Of course, I will be taking orders now, but I won't be able to start shipping yet. I'm not sure how long it will take me to make one - hopefully one week. But that's only one, and it's fair to assume I'm likely to have more than one order at once. Before I set up an etsy store or sell them on deviantART or whatever, I'll trial selling them here so I can give better estimations of timescales and prices.

Version 1 is a more simple design, which doesn't take as long and is therefore cheaper. I will be selling them for £35GBP or $55USD, not including shipping.
Version 2 is a design realistic to the in game design of the mirror. It takes longer and is more complex, so is more expensive. This one is priced at £50GBP or $80USD, again, not including shipping.

Shipping to the UK will cost something like £5GBP, and to the US around $20USD. Both of these include shipping materials and delivery within a week. If you want to know about other currencies and shipping to other countries, please let me know.

Included in the shipping cost is insurance, which will pay for a replacement to be made if it is damaged during shipping, but you will have to pay a second shipping cost unless I deem it was my fault. (bad packaging and whatnot).

For now, I am only taking the orders of people who definitely want one (I won't ask you to pay for it until I have it ready to ship). If you're still deciding, feel free to put your name forward so when I'm finished with the definitive orders I can ensure there is stock waiting for you. But please, make sure I know which of these you're putting your name down for.

I don't have payment details sorted yet, but it will probably be via Paypal. If you have another method, again, feel free to ask.

Thanks for your support with this project, guys :) I'm glad it's finally getting off the ground!

Sunday 15th July 2012

The first mirror has been finished!
The price is going to be £25, but I'm not planning to start selling them until I have more of them, as I might want to use the older ones for reference. Plus, I want a picture of several of them together. :P

Wednesday 27th June 2012

Mirrors have arrived in perfectly good condition. All the mirrors are good quality glass mirrors with no distortion at a distance (as far as I can tell). A couple of millimetres off 20cm wide and 2mm thick, with four self adhesive stickers for each mirror.

If enough people are interested in this size of mirror, and enough people show an interest in a larger mirror, I might be able to get some larger mirrors, but if not enough people are interested, it might not be possible.
(Bear in mind that these mirrors were increadibly cheap, and as far as I know, this supplier doesn't do a larger size. I know someone has shown interest in a life-size mirror, which I could make, but the price would be huge and postage immense. So if you are interested in a larger mirror, reply here and state which size. If enough people are interested, I will consider it.)
(Go to page 5 of this topic for more details)

(Original post)
An update for those who don't know - there was a bit of a look into getting a Real Mirror of Twilight a while back, but it was due to cost a fair bit, and the site was costing money at the same time, and... well, it didn't happen.
But I read the tread of this and thought, hey, glass etching, I'd like to try that! So, one Speed-Matic from my dad's 'shed of tricks' and 20 diamond burred engraving shanks later, I was ready to go. Have you ever wanted your own Mirror of Twilight? Or maybe a Midna glass-mug? I'll be taking commisions soon!

This project has come across it's fair share of issues. For one, getting the mirrors. If anyone knows somewhere I could get them, it'd be really helpful. The sizes I'm looking for are:
Small: Compact mirror size 80-100mm
Medium: 200mm
Large: Up to 400mm
The smaller the mirror, the less detailed it'll be, of course. And the larger, the more it costs.

Other things like glasses and mugs are on standby right now, until I know how many people are interested.

Having only just started this project, I couldn't tell you how long it'd take to make, nor how much I'd have to charge for it, so if you could just tell me if you're interested, that'd be great ^.^

But anyway, Today was mu first practice with my new engraving tool.
http://lightworldmidna.deviantart.com/a ... -308193442
It's not the easiest thing to see, and I spent about ten minutes trying to find somewhere to photograph it so it was visible.
Sorry about his face >.< I drew the picture on as part of a stained glass window activity in school ages ago, using a horrible think pen. After all, this was only practice...

So, what do you think?

Last edited by LightWorldMidna on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: LightWorldMidna's Real Mirror of Twilight Project
Impressive work, especially for it being your first "practice piece." In case this hasn't already been made apparent, yes, I would totally buy a mirror, a glass, and a mug! I really want this to happen, so, to the rest of you, please: be interested, too. :P

Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17 am
Profile WWW

Regularly Exquisite

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

Oh, wow. That's some pretty good stuff there! I guess because it's clear, you can trace things easier huh?

So, is there another step (like filling the grooves with black etc.), or will the mirros just look like this?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:03 am
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Well, for one thing, mirrors aren't clear so tracing isn't an option, by I got my Graphics teacher at school talking about it, and he then used this line plotter-cutter machine (That made me realise the robot apocolypse is much closer than I thought) to draw out a line pattern of it, and the plan is to use it as a template. If all else fails, I'll copy on the design and just engrave over the pen like I did with the practice piece.
I could fill it in black, but it depends. When I have a mirror I can engrave I'll make a prototype and see how it looks. I suppose you could still have it blacked out if you really wanted it, but I think it might look a bit... wierd.
I have some glasses picked up from a charity shop that I'll have a go on when I get home, practice on a rounded surface. Plus on glass, which I don't doubt is more difficult than acrylic.
Any thoughts on the design?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:28 am

Regularly Exquisite

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

LightWorldMidna wrote:
I could fill it in black, but it depends. When I have a mirror I can engrave I'll make a prototype and see how it looks. I suppose you could still have it blacked out if you really wanted it, but I think it might look a bit... weird.

I only assumed there was a filling step because the engraving looked like it would be hard to see. But I guess it all depends on what it looks like when you're done.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:40 am
Profile WWW

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

You live in the UK. Does that mean no unfair douchebaggery where all the US people get cheaper because of shipping prices? Also, the glass has to be good enough to not fall apart while being transported to another country. I guess this isn't an issue, but it's something I'm afraid will happen. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to order stuff online. I always hate the part where you sit and hope for your thing to make it's way over to you, not to mention complete and whole.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

You'll have to pay for the mirror and the postage no matter where you live -.-
And my dad works with computer parts and has loads of packaging materials, including bubblewrap. Reams and reams of bubble wrap!! I know how to package things to have the least chance of breakage. I'll replace any broken ones though, I promise.

Anyway, I have another picture...
http://lightworldmidna.deviantart.com/a ... -308332994
Here's a design for the glass engraving I'm going to start today. It's all completely Midna inspired. It has a space at the bottom for personalisation! What do you think?

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Whoa, that's good. I especially love how you incorporated aspects of both the Fused Shadow and the Twilight Realm itself. That'd definitely make for one spectacular-looking mug. :D

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:00 pm
Profile WWW

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

LightWorldMidna wrote:
You'll have to pay for the mirror and the postage no matter where you live -.-

What I'm saying is that I'm not paying an insane amount of more money than the other person just because I live in a different country. If you live in the US and ship within the US, there's even services that does it for free. While we here in Europe sometimes end up having to pay up to an additional $100 just for the thing to get over here.

Whatever. Never mind on the whole thing.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Ouch :/ I didn't know that. Once I know what postage will be like, I'll see if I can make it a little more fair for everyone, but I can't really promise anything...

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next