View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Kcired Finally Gets to Play Twilight Princess 

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Post Kcired Finally Gets to Play Twilight Princess
Yup, about time, right?

I'll post my thoughts and experiences up into a little bit of LakeBed Temple. I play most of that part at a friend's house, but now I own the original game and have my save file copied to the Wii.

Anyways, hope I do this mass playthrough thing right.

Pre-game

I started playing this at my friend's house one night, since I spent the night and decided to spend awhile playing. I was so excited, after waiting several years, to finally play this game. I wanted to play even before I knew Midna was in it. I didn't feel like being special, so Link was named Link and the horse named Epona.

The Beginning

Even though I had seen it before, I enjoyed the calm scene with Link and Rusl discussing the Hour of Twilight. I have a hard time deciding whether or not the Hour of Twilight is a real thing with potential sequel applications, or just a metaphor or concept for the feelings and thoughts provoked later in the game. Thought I was anxious to meet Midna, I tried not to rush things.

Rusl - I couldn't tell much about him from the few words he said. He seemed almost like a father or parent figure to Link though, since they were apparently sharing a deep discussion.

Link's House

I loved this concept for Link's house more than any other one by far. It gives him the most character of any. Even though it was the classic tree house like Link had in Ocarina of Time, the advancement in graphics amplified the impact. I went into the basement and almost got lost in the dark for a few minutes. I didn't even know there was a chest down there, until I saw on a video later.

Ordon - First Day

More getting used to the controls, and Epona. Epona's controls weren't too bad, I had problems with her in Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time. The goat herding was fun and entertaining, I had seen on a video where a goat would turn red somehow, and I guess it was from yelling at one too much. So I followed one poor goat around and yelled at him until he finally turned around and knocked me off the horse. I didn't spend much time there after that. I can't remember what else happens the first day, I think you get introduced to the kids, but I'll talk about them later.

Fado - The man you herd the goats for. Nothing to really say about him, he's more of a control teacher than anything.

Ordon Second Day

I think the first thing that happened was the kids come tell you about the slingshot. I'm surprised they didn't just get rupees themselves, it didn't take Link long to get the money.

Beth - She's slightly flirty to Link. She also seems to be, or at least think, she's the most mature of the group. I think her character was alright, but she had a huge forehead.
Colin - Link jr in my opinion. The typical little boy with no backbone in the beginning of the story. It's nice to have someone that looks up to Link as a hero, though.
Malo - Short, bigheaded, and ugly. He doesn't have much to say, but the few things he does say makes me want to punch a baby. Good thing he is one.
Talo - A brat. He wanted the slingshot but he'd just shoot his eye out.

After that I couldn't remember what to do, I think I just wandered around for awhile. I remember going to the bee nest area, and tried to knock it down, but couldn't without the slingshot. The bees got angry and chased me, good thing I knew to go in the water. After that I saw a cucoo and smacked it for awhile, I heard something special happens if you do. Then I got to play as the cucoo, it was amazing. I spent about 30 minutes hitting that poor chicken over and over just to play as it. Err, I'm a bit fuzzy on what the storyline is, I think I had to get the cradle from the monkey. I went to the area where you learn to use the falcon and attempted to get the cradle. The eagle hit the wall because I didn't know what to do, I think it lived. After another attempt I got the cradle and took it to Uli.

Uli - The pregnant lady, I think she seems very sweet. I've always loved the motherly type of woman in games. Ruse and her really make good parental models for Link. If I had to make a guess, they raised Link more than any other person, they seem to share a few common characteristics such as shyness and generosity.

Uli rewarded me with the fishing pole, how nice of her. I remembered I had to fish and have the cat steal it to get the slingshot. I wanted to be special and see if I could hit the cat after he stole the fish, but I couldn't. I went in that shop with the fat lady.

Sera
- Fat lady with the cat. She has a tiny mouth, I don't know how she gets so much food in there.

Um, I think she gave me the bottle after that, then I could buy the slingshot. After getting the slingshot I hit the bee's nest and they chased that poor guy away. I bottled some larva then accidentally ate it. I can't believe Link would eat it... oh well. Somewhere in the middle of this I talked to Mayor Bo and the goat rushed down and knocked me down. I wasn't quick enough to push it back yet.

Bo - Mayor of the town or something. He comes across as a coward, people tell him to toughen up. He's useful later.

Last edited by Kcired on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:56 am

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

Post Re: Kcired Finally Gets to Play Twilight Princess
Pretty cool. I like your candid walk-through. I know a lot of people dislike the beginning of TP saying it's boring, but I believe (as I will post in an upcoming blog entry of my own) that I believe it is an essential part of how the plot is driven.

I lol'ed at "She has a tiny mouth, I don't know how she gets so much food in there."
:lol:

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Kcired wrote:
After getting the slingshot I hit the bee's nest and they chased that poor guy away.

I think you're supposed to use the hawk to knock down the bee's nest. But if the slingshot worked, I guess it's fine.

Thanks to Emkay for my epic sig!

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

midnarocks wrote:
Kcired wrote:
After getting the slingshot I hit the bee's nest and they chased that poor guy away.

I think you're supposed to use the hawk to knock down the bee's nest. But if the slingshot worked, I guess it's fine.

I don't remember, it's been a long time ago.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

I don't think there's a "correct" way to knock down the bee hive, per se. My first 4 times through the game I used the slingshot. I didn't even think about using the hawk until I read about it online. The end result is the same, and I think the bees chase you with both methods. But as long as you immediately jump in the water, you're fine.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:59 pm

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Alright, time to continue this. I'm still going off memory because I'm not yet to the place where I am in the game now, so bear with me.

Ordon - Second Day [Con't]

I go back to Link's house so the kids can gawk at the slingshot. Apparently Ordon is either really poor or they have nothing to do. I almost felt sorry for the kids being so deprived of things entertaining that a piece of wood with a rubber band makes them go crazy.

I got the hang of using the slingshot fast, I did always like the bow in the other Zelda games after all. I think I also shot the kids for fun about 20 times.

Then Link gets his sword for more practice. This was a clever way for Nintendo to implement a sword tutorial, in my opinion. Instead of hitting the targets I hit the kids a lot. Then I finally hit the dummy so they would shut up.

That monkey shows up and Talo chases after it. Link is a lot nicer than me, I wouldn't have given him a second thought. So I have to grab Epona to go chase him. After getting slightly more used to using Epona I met Coro.

Coro - I guess he's pretty nice but I really classify him as a hippie. He has a huge afro and birds flock to him, maybe he's Noah? He can't cook, but I drank the soup anyways and lost a heart.

The dark cave up ahead gave me a lot of trouble since I was new. I hate how you have to turn the lantern off even after un-equipping it. Luckily I didn't run out of oil, and made it through fairly safe. I was scared the large clearing you come to would be a big maze, but it wasn't. I easily found the key and heartpiece, then went through the gate. I killed the bokoblins or whatever those goblins are and rescued the monkey and the ADD child. The monkey continued clapping and I swear the TV screen began to zoom in on its ass.

Ordon - Day 3

Rusl talks to Link about delivering the sword or something then we round up 20 goats. I'm starting to get sick of the goats and wonder if the Ordonians ever eat them or only milk them. You hop down the gate and get ready for Ilia to rage.

Ilia - Don't let that cute face and timid disposition fool you, this lady is bipolar or something. She seems like someone who would have a Saria-type relationship with Link, but it's kinda different. She obviously cares for animals, how sweet. Link seems to have apparent respect/infatuation for her. Would I tap her? Yea, I guess so.

Traveling on, I see Colin get teased for having no backbone. I give ADD the sword and he probably goes and shoots his eye out. Then we go to sneak up on Ilia to view the conversation. She apologizes.. kinda... and wishes Link to be safe on his journey.

Then comes the sudden battle horn, which surprised me. That Moblin, can't remember if he's the king, knocks out Link and steals Epona. I found that scene kinda interesting since LInk get knocked out in a cutscene like that... just something about it seemed unique.

He rushes to that strange door and the Messenger grabs him and drags him inside, where he finally turns into a wolf.

Wolf Link - To be honest, I never really liked the idea. The control and attacks are ok as I'll talk about later, but I just don't care for it. I liked Goron/Deku/Zora Link better. Probably has some to do with how I hate dogs and wolves.

I liked the glimpse of Midna. It was a neat opening for her. I only wished I was playing for my first time and didn't know who she was.

----

That's all for now, I'll start with my thoughts on the Midna scene next post.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:17 pm

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

LOL! This might be the best review of TP I ever read! It puts my review to shame - so much in fact that I don't want to post mine anymore! Love how you refer to Talo as "ADD" and the one-liners are great! (Notably: "I swear the TV screen began to zoom in on its ass" "Would I tap her? Yea, I guess so" and "he probably goes and shoots his eye out." LOL!)
:lol:

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Jail

Well, it's sad to say I've seen this scene, as well as the rest of the game, on Youtube out of curiosity beforehand. I honestly thought I'd never play this game, so I decided to watch it all. This scene did not have much of an impact as it should. I really didn't get much excitement from it, plus I was playing it at a friend's house at the time.

Midna Initial Response: - It was great to finally experience her myself. She is the whole reason I'm here anyways. I just love how sassy she is, and the plot mystery she sets forth. It must be quite the experience for a person who's never played TP or knows any storyline. I imagine if I was first playing this game, I wouldn't even expect her to show up. I would have expected Link to wake up alone, then after recovering from the shock of being a wolf, he would generally get used to it. Midna's a good surprise though, she just kinda shows up like "'Sup dog, your my bitch now". Then she hops on your back and you're her slave. It's great.

Oh wait, we have to get out of the cell first. Yea, I've seen this part, I have to find a hole to dig out of - it's around here somewhere.

-5 minutes later-

This hole is in one of the corner I know it.

-5 more minutes later-

Finally I found it!

Now just to walk down the hallway and pull the lever. I like how her hair hand grabs it, just a cool animation.

Sewers

We come up to a ghost... thing. Midna seems to feign interest in the human's fate. I don't blame her, that ghost was a coward. If I was that guard I'd be like "BLARGHGHGHG" then I'd spin my head around and shoot acid like the Exorcist. That's how you're supposed to act when your a ghost. That would be awesome, and I would be a mini-boss. The players wouldn't expect that, a ghost shooting acid right after you get introduced to new controls and a new playstyle. Oh yea, I'd also have an RPG, can't be a ghost without a gun.

Man walking around as Wolf Link is really awkward, this octopus thing started attacking me and I was half expecting to get tentacle raped. What are these things supposed to be, anyways? I also saw a skull. I guess someone killed someone and hid the body in the sewers, that seems like a good idea, the cops would never find it and it would mask the smell. I guess the rats and octopuses eat the bodies, no wonder they're so huge.

So I find a lever that raises the water level, then a little further on Midna finally gets sick of me and just flies over through a bar wall and tells me to find my own way. So I tried to go to the bar wall but Wolf Link can't fit through the bars. What a fatty. By and by I pull another lever to mess with the water level and find my way to Midna. Next is the big spiraling staircase room.

I fall off the first gap in the stairs and Midna gets angry and has to do everything for me. She helps me jump across the larger gaps. I wish she would just carry me to the top, but I guess Wolf Link is too fat. Maybe she makes him do all this work to lose weight.

The Roof

Oh crap, I'm afraid of heights. This whole area made me uneasy. Midna says we need to go to a tower. Thinking from Wolf Link's perspective, she should just ask him to sprout wings and fly himself up there, because this wouldn't have been simple. It's raining, I have to push heavy boxes, jump dangerous leaps, and these big ass bird things that sound like buses when they honk keep trying to kill me. I'm pretty sure at one point the Red Baron was shooting at me, too.

I really hate those bird things, it isn't enough that there's one every 3 feet, but their screech sounds like a foghorn. It feels like they take forever to kill. I think I fell off once or twice, the magically appeared on the stairs again. I guess Midna saves you from death, then beats you until you pass out. Which is why you wake up with one missing heart.

Castle/Zelda's Room

Zelda - Zelda has such a minor role. She is so mysterious and it's hard to catch much about her. She really goes incognito, but you can still tell she's caring. Although Midna's really the one in help, she hides it excellently. To a first time player, you might judge Zelda as the damsel-in-distress.

Midna has her usual toothy grin and sarcastic whit the whole conversation. Fatty looks like he wants a dog biscuit the whole time, and doesn't seem to care about what's going on. The flashback of why the castle area was engulfed in Twilight is pretty neat. Not much to say about it.

We go down the stairs, a guard is approaching, so then we escape back onto the roof. Midna teases you by shape shifting into the spineless wimp and the nag, then offers to help. I guess Wolf Link accepts then she violently rips him into squares and throws him into the Ordon spring. If that's how she acts when you agree to help her, I don't want to see how she responds when you piss her off.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Getting the Sword and Shield

A few steps out Midna shows back up to 'kindly' greet me, and let me know I'm her bitch. Not much later we reach the outskirts of the Ordon Village and talk to a squirrel. I'm not sure if he was talking to the squirrel or if he was on an acid trip. Once into the village, that man-woman guy up on the pillar grows some balls and throws a bird at me. I really don't know the gender of that person. I sneak up on the fat guy an the Mexican with the army haircut to learn where the shield is. I end up talking to a frog and a cat, scaring some patrols, jumping ledges, then eventually getting the shield which he somehow perfectly balances on his nose. Midna comments on how cheap it is, which is right considering it was made of wood. I want an energy shield, yea that'd be awesome.

Uli and that other guy release the where-abouts of the sword so I make that my next stop. I sneak past the guy since he's obviously blind, and dig my way into the house to steal the sword. Midna takes us back to the Ordon Spring.

Ordon Spring

One Twilight Messenger falls out of a portal. What an unlucky bastard. Sucks to have his job. After killing it the light goat appears and gives me a long, long story and tells me to go to another spring. Sorry Link, the princess is in another castle.

Bugs

From the fountain it's back to the twilight-induced forest. Midna has accidentally put the shield on her face, then precedes to go apeshit crazy and try to kill Link. He dodges so she shield-slams him right in the face. Hurrr. He growls in anger then she whispers some threat that must have been so vile he stopped.

Not much further along I have to learn how to kill Twilight Messengers at the same time, since the last one resurrects the others. That was a cool feature, I love those types of enemies in games. Next I meet another light spirit to tells me to kill bugs, so I decide to be like Dale Gribble and make it cool. Unfortunately Link had no cigarettes and bug poison, so I had to made due with other things.

I saved afro man from a couple. I find it odd he's afraid of them, I mean he's a hippy, hippies love animals. I know they're pansies, but usually animals don't cause such fear to them. Two bugs down...

I killed about 3-4 more bugs, then realized they show up on the mini-map. That was awesome, and much easier than looking everywhere like I was doing. Later down the road I end up at the dense forest with the poison, which I don't think was there before. It is theorized that the first nuclear bomb was tested near that forest, so that must have been why there was dangerous gas on the ground, and why the plants were gigantic and trying to kill me. More bugs die and I finally reach the last one, with a scared monkey on a wooden pole. It was a ghost monkey, which could've been cooler. Ghost monkeys have ghost bananas, I know they do. It should've thrown them at the supernatural bugs. Ghost monkey vs Super Bug, sounds like a classic movie.

The light spirit automatically takes me back to it's Spring, where it turns back to it's real form - a giant Pikachu with a scorpion tail holding onto a beach ball. Pokemon was never cooler.

Back to Human

The Light Spirit changes you back to human, I think. Maybe it was the absence of Twilight.. I don't remember. Anyways, Midna shows back up and says something... I don't remember what it was, but it had 'Eee hee hee' somewhere in it. Oh yea, Link had new clothes on, the light spirit probably slipped him a rape drug and changed his clothes after having it's way with him. Oh Nintendo, you.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]