View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rare's Mass Playthrough Journal 

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Stealin' WYNR's checker here...

----Rare Addict, Part 1----
Total Play Time: 3:16
Total Hearts: 4/4 (4/20)
Heart Pieces: 3/3 (3/45)
Total Items Collected: 6/6
Bottles: 2/2 (2/4)
Bomb Bags: N/A
Quiver Size: N/A

"Goat in!"

Unlike previous playthroughs, I took the time to talk to everyone throughout Ordon Village. Additionally, I noticed things that I hadn't previously picked up on. Believe it or not, I didn't know that Sera was that obsessed with cats until now (did you see all those photos?!).

I know that most people probably feel differently, but I actually really enjoy the first hour or so of Twilight Princess. No, it doesn't do as good a job of introducing you to the characters as Skyward Sword does. What I like, though, is that it shows how relatively mundane Link's life is before being thrust into this adventure. And, hey, herding those goats isn't that bad. :lol:

That said, the moment when Link first enters the Twilight is when this game really takes off. The introduction of Midna is one of the most memorable scenes from any video game, and it was an absolute joy to hear her chastise Link again. :P I find myself calling on her almost regularly, just to see if there are any snarky remarks that I missed.

"Aren't I so helpful? Just think of me whenever you use those weapons, okay?"

While it is probably my least favorite dungeon in the game, the Forest Temple -- like many of the dungeons in TP -- still has that defining characteristic that makes it stand out. For this temple, it's rescuing those monkeys! Very entertaining, especially once you rescue 'em all. ;)

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:52 pm
Profile WWW

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Hey, I actually love the intro of the game. Have you ever thought of where Ordon Village is placed? It's in the most cosy place imaginable. I mean, it's enclosed by mountains and it's just so arhfizsdlvbukzsgbizsf. With that said, I actually took a picture of my goat time just to have a record. Next time I play it, I will see if I can beat my time.

Also, I don't think I'm doing my own journal. Playing through the game two times (One for the actual playthrough, and one for making the schedule.) takes time. Not to mention that I have to like, tripple check everything to see if I haven't missed anything. And I'm complaining from just these small parts where it's almost impossible to miss stuff. I don't want the schedule to be affected any way, so I will just skip the whole journal thing so I don't have to feel so stressed.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:12 pm
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

That's too bad, though totally understandable. If I was in your shoes, I probably wouldn't want to write a journal either. That said, your schedule entries are freakin' hilarious. So, keep making them that way. The hilarious way.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 pm
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Total Play Time: 6:42
Total Hearts: 6/6 (6/20)
Heart Pieces: 8/9 (11/45)
Total Items Collected: 4/4
Bottles: 0/0 (2/4)
Bomb Bags: Normal x1
Howl Stones: 1/1 (1/7)
Golden Bugs: 5/10 (5/20)

"Anyway, what's with having to light the candles to get to the basement? Not very subtle, is it..."

One of the many aspects of this game that I love is the build-up to each dungeon, and this section is a prime example of that. That initial fight with King Bulbin is freakin' legendary, and led to a solid resolution for the "village children" subplot. I will say, though, that I had some serious trouble knocking that jerk off of the Eldin bridge. Given the amount of time that it took for me to finally claim victory, I'm surprised that the sun never went down. :P

"You might as well take [the legendary hero's bow.] It might even make you seem more heroic... Eee hee hee!"

The Goron Mines rock (har har). It sets the trend for what is, more or less, the rest of the game by being a dungeon that challenges the series' norm. What I mean is that the developers used a specific environment that made sense for the mythology, rather than just featuring a generic [insert element here] Temple. Oh, and I love the battle with Fyrus. Like most of the boss fights in TP, it's not particularly challenging, but it works extremely well as a set-piece moment drenched in atmosphere.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:47 pm
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Total Play Time: 10:30
Total Hearts: 7/9 (7/20)
Heart Pieces: 1/4 (12/45)
Total Items Collected: 1
Bottles: 0/1 (2/4)
Bomb Bags: Normal x1
Wallet Size: 300
Howl Stones: 1/1 (2/7)
Golden Bugs: 3/4 (13/20)

"I told you this one's all yours! Stop calling me! That thing's gross!"

While I do enjoy the initial two temples a great deal, it's here, in the cavernous Lakebed Temple, where the dungeon design really starts to pick up for me. Relative to previous water-themed catacombs, Lakebed is much easier to navigate. Additionally, I find the use of the clawshot throughout this dungeon to be particularly clever. That instance when you have to use the item to hang below those giant, water-powered mechanisms -- so entertaining!

Oh, and the Lakebed Temple also features what is probably my favorite miniboss in Twilight Princess. The Deku Toad battle, on top of being accompanied by some killer music, is one of such scale that it could almost pass for a proper boss fight. Almost. :P

"Zelda... I've taken all that you had to give... though I did not want it."

Then there's Midna's Desperate Hour, one of the most powerful sequences from any video game, as far as I'm concerned. Not even the interruptions by the enemy battle music can ruin the tone of this race against time. Though, it was certainly annoying. Seriously, when Twilight Princess receives its inevitable HD remake, that better be fixed. xD

Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 am
Profile WWW

Black Metal Brony

Black Metal Brony

I love how you include quotes by Midna in these entries ^_^
Lakebed Temple is one of my more favorable dungeons as well but I thought the Deku Toad battle was way too short... All you have to do is shoot bomb arrows in its mouth and you can kill it in like 30 seconds... My favorite mini-boss would probably be the one in Arbiter's Grounds.

Rare Addict wrote:
Seriously, when Twilight Princess receives its inevitable HD remake, that better be fixed. xD

HD remake of Twilight Princess? Now, wouldn't that be something... Seriously though, i would be satisfied if they could just up the resolution a bit... 480p on a 42 inch TV is is just... so bad...

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 am
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Cryzeu wrote:
Seriously though, i would be satisfied if they could just up the resolution a bit... 480p on a 42 inch TV is is just... so bad...
I can vouch for that... The graphics didn't seem as good as they should have been for me D: Midna was all blury! That was really no help when I was trying to draw her fused shadow, damnit.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:29 am

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

I hope that I'm not the only one who's playing catch-up. :P

Total Play Time: 13:00
Total Hearts: 9/20
Bottles: 2/4
Bomb Bags: 1
Wallet Size: 600
Quiver Size: 60
Howling Stones: 5/7

"Let's teach him that swinging a giant axe like that is NEVER a good idea!"

This sequence leading up to this next dungeon -- trekking through the Gerudo Desert, then infiltrating the Bulblin Hideout -- is absolutely stellar. I'm still not sure how their "king" manages to continually reappear, but I predict that he and the Hero of Twilight will be at each other's throats until the end of time.

"We've finally reached the finale... or something like that."

The Arbiter's Grounds features just about everything that I could want from a Zelda dungeon, personally. The puzzles themselves are not particularly devilish, but this ancient prison -- perhaps moreso than any of the other temples -- has this atmosphere to it that's just palpable. The environmental hazards, the dimly-lit tombs, the undead inmates, the freakin' boss (seriously, Stallord, you're a champ)! I would say that this is my favorite dungeon of the series, but I have similarly strong feelings toward the remaining five of this game.

-----------------------

Total Play Time: 16:54
Total Hearts: 10/20
Bottles: 2/4
Bomb Bags: 2
Wallet Size: 600
Quiver Size: 60
Howling Stones: 6/7

"What's with this guy? He's got a nice place... for a beast-man."

Before tackling the Snowpeak Ruins, I spent a pretty significant amount of time just wandering around the overworld, collecting heart pieces -- the usual. There's one particular heart piece "challenge," wherein you have to use the Spinner precisely, that's hilariously entertaining. Does anybody know which one that I'm talkin' about? Bleh. I was also completely oblivious to the fact that you could eventually access a portal to Upper Zora's River. S'pose that shows you just how much of the side content that I've experienced before this playthrough. :P

Now, Snowpeak Ruins is just hilarious. It's the perfect example of a dungeon that challenges the series' conventions. The idea of having a decrepit mansion/military stronghold serve as an ice dungeon is intriguing enough. However, it's the fact that you are a guest in this couple's home that takes this dungeon to awesome heights. Searching for the bedroom key, only to find Ordon Goat Cheese (which, for whatever reason, is in a treasure chest)? Genius!

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 am
Profile WWW

Maybe there's a way for light and shadow to mix

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

How'd you get the quiver upgrade with just the one clawshot? I'm probaly gonna try and do that now. unless you made a mistake......

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:59 am
Profile WWW

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

There's two versions of the mini-game. If you beat the first version, you'll receive an upgrade so you can carry 60 arrows. If you beat the second version, you'll receive an upgrade so you can carry 100 arrows. The first version of the mini-game was designed for just one Clawshot, and the second version of the mini-game was designed for Double Clawshot.

It is actually possible to complete the second version with just one Clawshot, but it's not the easiest thing to do as you can imagine. I think you'll have somewhere around four or five seconds to spare if you do it perfect.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next