View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 I am a trained psychic and I have learned that Midna is... 

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: I am a trained psychic and I have learned that Midna is.
I've been following this thread for a while but haven't had a reason to reply up until now...

Camaro, while I'm not a particularly "spiritual" person in as far as practicing it or believing it with 100% certainty as you do, I do believe in the possibility of a spiritual-type realm or connective "energies." Or, at least, I'd like to believe in it if nothing else. I think it's a fascinating subject, and I believe if it is something that exists, then perhaps it is the root of "individuality" as we know it. I am a person that prefers hard facts, and while I don't know enough of the brain's functions to determine if personality is purely "biological," I would just as easily believe that there is something "spiritual" or "otherworldly" about individuality. Note - I am not a "religious" person, but I do not close my mind to possibilities, I simply remain silent unless I have actual, tried and true (or at least as close to possible) evidence to provide, or wish to have a debate where no side can really provide absolute evidence - such as this one.

The main reason I wanted to reply to this, though, is that while I agree that some of the replies here were extraordinarily rude, Camaro, you stating that an otherworldly plane is 100% true is just as "closed-minded" as those saying that an otherworldly plane is 100% false. Absolutes - no matter in what direction - are closed-minded. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that reply was slightly hypocritical. I've done my studies into the spiritual realms, divine, "third-eyes," etc, and just as with most other things, there are people whom have had their "experiences," but that doesn't make their evidence any more solid than evidence towards the contrary. In fact, people may argue that hallucinations are "solid" evidence that there is no spiritual realm. Do I agree with that? Well, I think there's equal possibility either way, I'm simply saying that denying the possibility of it being a "hallucination" or mind-trick is just as closed-minded as denying that it could possibly be a spiritual realm.

Following science or being a skeptic doesn't make you "closed-minded." If you wish, you can call it a different set of "beliefs," although I "believe" the evidence for it is, more often than not, more tangible. There's nothing wrong with trying to justify things, even if that takes away the "magic and mystery" from it.

Do I believe in the possibility of a spiritual realm? Absolutely. Do I believe that it's there with 100% certainty? No more than I believe that there isn't one with 100% certainty.

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:30 am
Profile WWW

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

this is getting like our calm debate back on roll 20, clean with each side knowing the otherside, what a debate should be

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:33 am

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Spookypatrol wrote:
The main reason I wanted to reply to this, though, is that while I agree that some of the replies here were extraordinarily rude, Camaro, you stating that an otherworldly plane is 100% true is just as "closed-minded" as those saying that an otherworldly plane is 100% false. Absolutes - no matter in what direction - are closed-minded.

Do I believe in the possibility of a spiritual realm? Absolutely. Do I believe that it's there with 100% certainty? No more than I believe that there isn't one with 100% certainty.

+1

Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:01 am
Profile YIM

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

camarosquid wrote:
Please don't try to fight back and argue with me cause I will not bother replying back and I simply don't care what you believe at the end of the day.

I reeallly don't want to start an argument but this is the same reason everyone is saying 'no thanks'??? The same way you are open to the idea and don't really want people trying to sway you otherwise, I am not really open to the idea, and would prefer not to have a lecture over it. I'm just not this kind of person, at all. Maybe someday, who know, but now? Not in the slightest.

I mean, discussion about it is always fine but telling someone "you should be more open-minded!!" and then saying "don't even bother to say anything because I don't care", just doesn't make sense. At least to me.

I agree that the way some people responded to them was rude, though. "OP is a loon"?? That wasn't very nice. If that's how they feel and what they believe on the inside, even if you don't agree, you shouldn't be that mean. They're not crazy, they just believe something different from you. They're totally welcome to believe it, and talk about it here if they wish (unless it turns to things like mass PMing, advertising, harassment or otherwise affecting people negatively); although considering the response, it would be better to move this to serious discussion next time around.

send me great quotes you see on wmb and i might make them ~beautiful and inspring~
me x ghirahim lee pace 5ever

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:01 pm

Tyranny with a Smile!

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: My diabolical lair in Soviet Russia, 500 miles below the Earth's crust.
Quote:
I agree that the way some people responded to them was rude, though. "OP is a loon"?? That wasn't very nice. If that's how they feel and what they believe on the inside, even if you don't agree, you shouldn't be that mean. They're not crazy, they just believe something different from you. They're totally welcome to believe it, and talk about it here if they wish (unless it turns to things like mass PMing, advertising, harassment or otherwise affecting people negatively); although considering the response, it would be better to move this to serious discussion next time around.

Reimeille does make a good point. Besides, if anybody is a "loon" 'round here, it's definitely me. <_<

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:23 pm

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Well, time to be the middle ground. There is such a thing as having a closed-open mind. Like I. You'll accepted what makes sence to you. I just woke up, so this post is lazy for a reason

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Omega: That's a closed mind. Accepting only your beliefs without recognizing or giving a "chance" to others (as well as thinking in absolutes) is what being closed-minded is. Accepting what makes sense to you after considering the views of others is simply a belief. Everyone accepts what makes sense to them.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Made more sence in my head

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:09 pm

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Twist: If that was directed at my comment to Omega then you've misunderstood me. I said that being closed-minded is not acknowledging the beliefs of others as a possibility (however briefly), even if you ultimately believe in what makes most "sense" to you, which is what people do, anyway.

Closed-mindedness is when someone refuses to acknowledge or listen to someone else because they potentially pose a threat to what they believe in.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:25 pm
Profile WWW

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Well I was simply commenting on the way he wrote it, then. Either way at this point it's semantics, since I don't think any of us are really disagreeing.

I consider closed-mindedness being a complete refusal of acknowledging possibilities simply because they pose the risk of challenging your belief, as well as refusing to acknowledge when there is tangible evidence against your belief, if your belief can be disproved with tangible evidence, anyway. I think it's extremely hard to judge if something is not indicative as being possible in its entirety if you don't at least put forth an effort to "give it a chance," however. So while I agree that if it absolutely is utter nonsense then, yeah, it's not worth the waste of time to "acknowledge" it, it's not exactly common for something to be that obviously nonsensical, unless there is readily strong evidence to refute it. And sometimes that gets dicey in and of itself.

Long story short, I'm not disagreeing with your interpretation of what Omega meant, if that is, indeed, what he meant. But not acknowledging something just because of a disagreement or a challenge of your beliefs is closed-minded. It is very hard to be able to refute something without considering the "evidence" the other side poses, unless, again, there is readily available evidence towards the contrary.

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2