View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Sites of Midna Recognition 

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

This, more than likely, doesn't meet the criteria for this thread, considering that it's a blog entry that was submitted by a WMB member (psst... Legendboy), but I figured that it was worth reading just the same. Check it out, folks:

Top 10 Most Influential Characters in My Gaming Life

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:08 am
Profile WWW

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

A surprising amount of people who agreed on Midna being on first place. It doesn't matter how many times I see it, I always end up surprised at the amount of Midna fans there are out there. I guess it is the lack of members here that is killing it for me.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:26 am
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Absolutely. I've probably harped on this numerous times before, but I know that it's easy to forget how popular this character actually is, given the relatively small number of active members on this site. That said, I still see recognition towards Midna on a regular basis.

That's not to say that she doesn't have her detractors. On nearly every Zelda forum that I've visited, there's about a handful of folks who aren't too crazy about Midna. In fact, I've met a couple of people who vehemently despise her. :lol: Relative to those who are fans of the character, though, the number of people who feel that way is incredibly small, from what I've seen.

This has probably been posted already, but there was a poll held on Zelda Universe from September of last year to January of this year. Check out the results:

Which of these characters would you like to see return in a future Zelda game?

Midna (33%, 656 Votes)
Saria (22%, 432 Votes)
Malon (12%, 227 Votes)
Tingle (9%, 167 Votes)
The Postman (8%, 158 Votes)
Linebeck (7%, 140 Votes)
Tetra (6%, 109 Votes)
Medli (3%, 70 Votes)

Additionally, if you have as much free time as I seem to have, then just skim through this thread on Zelda Dungeon. One of the most (if not the most) frequent answers is "Midna." ;)

Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

Web Wizard

Web Wizard

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Rare Addict wrote:
Which of these characters would you like to see return in a future Zelda game?

Midna (33%, 656 Votes)
Saria (22%, 432 Votes)

I would like to see Saria again too, both of these characters should return.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:26 am
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

So, while at PAX today, I ran into a Midna cosplayer. She, as well as two girls who were dressed up as Skull Kid and Queen Rutela, were featured on the "title image" of one of Kotaku's latest articles:

http://m.kotaku.com/5939777/the-cosplay-of-pax-day-one

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:59 am
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Rare Addict wrote:
So, while at PAX today, I ran into a Midna cosplayer. She, as well as two girls who were dressed up as Skull Kid and Queen Rutela, were featured on the "title image" of one of Kotaku's latest articles:

http://m.kotaku.com/5939777/the-cosplay-of-pax-day-one

Wow! I actually seen that Midna cosplay on DeviantArt, very impressive I must say. All those other cosplays look really cool as well.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:32 am
Profile WWW

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

While this isn't a professional editorial, it's a pretty neat blog entry, wherein one girl discusses her experience with cosplay. Apparently, this past weekend, PAX wasn't the only place that featured people dressed up as Midna.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-833186

Update -- November 27:

I've been planning to do this for awhile, but I finally decided to start adding all of the links that have been posted within the last year or so to the "Midna Recognition" page on the main site. Remember to be on the look out for more, folks, as we can always use more media plugs to add to the pile.

Update -- January 9:

Just so I have this handy for whenever I get around to updating the Midna Recognition page on the main site, I'll go ahead and post this here. Back in September, Zeldapedia held another round of its Temple of Courage series, this time pitting Midna against Tetra. Want to guess who was victorious?

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Zeldapedia: ... Archive_38

Update -- January 16:

The Border House -- Characters Done Right: Midna

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:56 pm
Profile WWW

Sonic's Midna: the Ultimate Life Form

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

I saw the Midna Fan Forum, and from where I stand, it doesn't have nearly as much pizzazz as this site.

I'll say that I read the "Characters Done Right" article on Midna and I'll say that while the writer had a bit of an issue with Midna's human form, I didn't. I felt that even with her true form being beautiful and sexy, she's still the same character. Several fanfictions on the internet let her be in that form and they have her be tough and resilient. Heck, I'm even writing one such fan-fic myself. I even liked how this response comment said this:

Quote:
I didn’t mind her new form at the end of the game. I was too busy being surprised at her transformation. I thought her design was on par with the other characters, meaning Zelda, Link, people from the first village…

I think I might be a little bit too biased to comment. But to defend Midna a bit I must say we almost don’t see her body in the game,she’s not exploited in this manner. Well, I didn’t think so. It’s different than looking at artwork in the internet. In the game, we see her face most of the time. She only appears as human in the end. Zelda doesn’t wear the clothes she wears, so maybe that’s just what the people in the Twilight world wears? We could also be complaing about the Zoras, these naked men and women from the sea. Their queen is also a beautiful lady, but that doesn’t invalidate she was also a powerful (but minor) character.

My point: Midna’s a fantastic character. I don’t think she was ugly for most of the game, she was just this weird being. She turned into this sort of pretty lady. It was her true form! She was always quirky and playful, so that may be translated to “sexy” as you see her in her new form. But she was playful for the entire game, not just when she was human.

I do have one issue with something said in a response comment:

Quote:
I don’t think she was very feminine either, she is not what women are supposed to be. She made Link do what she wished and went away after everything was all right. She was not submissive, obedient of any other qualities linked with femininity. She was bossy and rude! She was still that at the end of the game, she didn’t change that much! It’s only her body! She’s not a proper princess, she doesn’t behave like one! Not even Zelda behaves like one!

While I like how it defends Midna, my issue is that I don't think "feminine" means "submissive" or "obedient." I think that masculinity and femininity are more related to mannerisms. I don't consider submissiveness to be a feminine trait because I have seen male characters who act submissively as well. Examples include Shinji Ikari from Neon Genesis Evangelion, and Shiro Emiya from Fate/Stay Night. So, I think "feminine" means "graceful" or "elegant" as opposed to a more brutish approach that I associate with masculinity. So, in a way, I guess Midna actually is kind of feminine. But I agree with the following, even in her sexy human form, she's still the same girl. She's the leader of the Twilight Realm and that obviously means that in her human form, she's quite commanding and she has great leadership. And submissiveness doesn't make you a leader. Not even in name only.

And I think that sexualized appearances usually get an unfair rap, and that they don't really seem to objectify women unless they really try to make the girl sexy. (I'm looking at you, Bayonetta. Seriously, wear an outfit that isn't made out of your own hair!) If a female character has way more to offer than simply eye candy, then in my mind, that lady doesn't seem objectified to me.

Oh, and there's GamesRadar's Top 25 Best Game Characters of the Decade list:
http://www.gamesradar.com/the-25-best-n ... he-decade/

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18