View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Favorite Fictional Settings 

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

One of the most powerful elements of any entertainment medium is its ability to transport its audience to another world. Some of bizarre and alien, while others are [often horribly] alternate versions of our own. What are some of your favorite fictional settings, and why?

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:30 am
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Depends. At times I will be in love with a fantasy setting but most of the time I will always be in love with futuristic and Sci-Fi like settings. I just don't know why and I find it odd that I seem to find myself liking Sci-Fi more than fantasy as the Legend of Zelda is my favorite game franchise. I guess there is just something about the Sci-Fi setting that makes things a lot more interesting. Probably because of the unknown and how there is a lot of mystery in the universe that humanity still has to discover and sometimes the story will involve humanity messing around with something they shouldn't have messed with in the first place.

For a specific fictional setting though, I would have to say that Hyrule is definitely one of my all time favorites. Probably because of its mysterious things that have yet to be explained in the series such as the Sheikah and especially the Dark Interlopers as well as the Twili. But Hyrule's setting in general is just breathtaking and it is like you have actually been there doing all the things that Link has done. Actually, screw it. All the setting in the Zelda games are amazingly breathtaking.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:03 pm
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I'm bumping this thread because I can. Recently I have been in love with mecha and giant robots alike. So when it comes to fictional settings I really love sci-fi and just recently a military like setting. The Gundam series usually always has a military setting theme with war and endless fighting which can really be something to think about at times. Why does one fight? Why cant people just stop fighting and live life in not war but peace? The Gundam series touches on this idea constantly and for some reason I just love it to pieces whenever I think about it!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Favorite Fictional Settings
My favorite fictional settings are whatever time where multiple races are living together. I would love being in a place where seeing kids with tails, men with three eyes and 20 ft tall are completely natural. ^_^

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Oooh, this was an interesting idea.

Definitely the best settings to me have magical elements, or advanced science fictional elements that to someone in 2014 it's practically magical. The whole point of fiction to me is to be what reality can't, so the more different from real life it is, the better, and the most common way of doing that is magic or crazy science.

My favorite fictional place of all is... and I'm about to totally shock everyone (sarcasm)... The Lylat system. This probably has a lot to do with it being Star Fox's setting, as I admit I might not like it as much if it were the setting of something else, but I like that there are diverse planets without it being as confusing as, say, the Star Wars Universe. Generally, the different backgrounds though add pretty cool variation to the levels. Corneria is industrialized and oceany, Fichinia is snow covered, Titania is a windy desert, Aquas is a fully submerged aqua land, Solar is a lavapool, etc, I probably should leave it at that.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:33 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
My favorite fictional settings are whatever time where multiple races are living together. I would love being in a place where seeing kids with tails, men with three eyes and 20 ft tall are completely natural. ^_^

This hasn't changed, but I have found a fictional setting that perfectly suits this description; Penguin Village from Dr Slump. It's not just the multitude of races, but pigs have learned how to fly, the police is being chased around by a little girl, and no one questions anything!!! :rave:

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:26 am

Tyranny with a Smile!

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: My diabolical lair in Soviet Russia, 500 miles below the Earth's crust.
FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
FEZeldalord12345 wrote:

This hasn't changed, but I have found a fictional setting that perfectly suits this description; Penguin Village from Dr Slump. It's not just the multitude of races, but pigs have learned how to fly, the police is being chased around by a little girl, and no one questions anything!!! :rave:

Sounds like my type of town. I would blend in perfectly (no worries about the Kremlin no more)! :plot:

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:35 am

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Quote:
People of the Capital Wasteland, it is I, Three Dog, your ruler! Hear me, and obey! Oh sorry, that's that other radio station.

POST NUCLEAR APOCALYPTIC AMERICA

More importantly, one with a theme, Fallout got its Fifties Vibe, Mad Max has its modern diggs,but for me it has to be urban, because nobody wants to explore an empty wasteland (Fallout: New Vegas,hint hint)

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Kawaii incarnate

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

Hmm, I think I go with medieval-like settings. For fiction I don't really like technology stuff due to the fact that it reminds me of the normal world.
Adding magic helps alot too, fictional beasts, a vast unexplored world.. perfect.

Countless choices define our fate, for the future is never truly set.

Cheers.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 pm

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

The apocalyptic setting is something I recently came across and witnessed and it's actually extremely interesting and shall I say epic when used in certain ways. One certain way has to the be humanity at the edge of their existence. Humanities last stand against a threat will wipe out the entire human race. I especially like it when it's done in a futuristic setting as well as it adds to the drama as humanity has more advanced tools to fight back in an arguably futile effort.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]