View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Who is your favorite villian? 

Tyranny with a Smile!

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: My diabolical lair in Soviet Russia, 500 miles below the Earth's crust.
I know that we already have a thread like this somewhere, but it only applies to video game villians. Here, you can discuss any type of villian from any source.

You know, it's kind of funny when you think about it, but a lot of the time we find ourselves siding with the antagonist of the story (depending on the story of course) instead of the protagonist. Why is that? Is it because we have sympathy for them because of their rotten past or unfortunate circumstances? Or, maybe it's because their character is so well constructed, that we like them no matter what they do. Maybe we even think they're so helplessly pathetic that they're actually funny. Either way, each villian has a story to tell, and sometimes a morale to share.

Well, there's my little english essay rant. Post away!

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 am

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Hmm, well I hesitate to call her a "villain," but she is technically the antagonist (until a turn of events in the sequel), but I have to say, if she isn't my favorite "villain," GLaDOS is up there. It's been ages since I've played Portal or Portal 2, but GLaDOS truly is the star of the show. An amazingly well done passive-aggressive character, amazing voice acting work, and a deep story to boot. Her development especially in Portal 2 is outstanding, and she certainly ranks very, very high on my list of favorites because of all of this.

BIG EDIT: Wow! Sorry, Doc, I completely misread your thread and thought this was still just for video game villains! Even still, I'm hesitating to pick a favorite, so I may amend my reply.

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Last edited by Spookypatrol on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Who is your favorite villian?
I'm...honestly not sure. Kefka from Final Fantasy VI is definitely up there on my list. When you get right down to it, he is a Joker ripoff. However, unlike the Joker, his plan succeeds. He manages to destroy the world!!! And every single line is so fun to quote. "You all sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!"

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 am

Eternally with Midna

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

In video games I'd say Kefka, no contest. That guy is just INSANE, and his plan of destroying the world actually goes through, unlike pretty much all the other Final Fantasy villains.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:23 am
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I really liked Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke. I liked how she wasn't just "bad", although she really was the antagonist of the film. Her modern, industrialist ideals were very helpful in many ways, like giving prostitutes work and keeping them off the street and in warm homes, and giving lepers places they are accepted and needed. The people who used to be lonely, dying on the street now had the opportunity to work hard and eat well because of what she did. And she always did it herself, not sending someone else out to do the work.

But it also destroyed any not involved with it, like the land (the way she clears the forest), the living beings (the lead from their bullets [unintentionally??] poisoning living creatures), and the earth itself.

She's determined and headstrong in the best and most terrible of ways, and it was always really hard to determine whether what she was doing was good or bad for the world. Very much represents industrialism as a concept, and a fantastic job (as usual) on Hayao Miyazaki's part.

Aside from that deep part, I really love her personality. I wish I could be that strong and so sure of myself, no matter what happened. The woman almost never flinched, even when face to face with a literal god. That's guts, man.

send me great quotes you see on wmb and i might make them ~beautiful and inspring~
me x ghirahim lee pace 5ever

Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:27 am

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Ulysses from fallout new vegas' Lonesome road addon. i adore Ulysses, hes the type of villain whom you can understand why he hates you (cause you blew up the only thing he cared about) but then, you have the chance to convince you to join him against the "Ghosts of the bear and bull". he used to work for caesar, but flead when he saw one of the tribes he was manipulating copied his hair when the "didnt know what every knot and twist meant". hes the type of villain who makes you go back through all the addons, and see every missed detail.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:35 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

In anime, I would probably say Death Note has the best villains, Light and L. The reason why they're so great is because arguably, they're also protagonists. Each of them are in a grand battle of wits with each other and their screentime is paced out so well that it's actually up to the viewer who the antagonist is. One is an amusing detective who has every step planned 5,000 miles ahead, and another is a genius teenager with a sense of justice that turned out to be too strong. They were both handled extraordinarily well, and just seeing them clash wits without even making direct contact was incredible.
Light:Everything is planned out to the last step. Tomorrow, L, it's over.
L:Hey, if I die tomorrow, then we've found our culprit.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:38 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

L's not so much of a typical villain as he is a potential antagonist in the story, and like I said, it's up to the viewer to decide who it is. To be honest, that was my thoughts towards L when I first watched Death Note because I used to have that same sense of justice that Light had. I've changed since then, but the first impression still lingers around me.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:46 am

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Twist wrote:
As far as video-games go, I'm really not sure. I think the Gods of Silent Hill, while they never make an appearance and their motives could be argued by justice or balance or atonement, they're pretty much the ones behind what goes on in there all the time. They draw people to the town and force them to face manifestations of their inner darkness and endure a specified punishment as means of atonement, the people can either accept their punishment and complete their task or die. That's Silent Hill 2 storyline anyway, but they do other creepy shit; in Homecoming they made a pact with the people of Shepherd's Glen to gain their loyalty that they will stay out of their affairs if everyone sacrifices their first child. If they someone wouldn't then it's punishments and monsters all around! They are good examples of the twisted divinity I'd think.

TL:DR Pyramid Head

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 pm

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

yes he was. in silent hill 2 he was your characters desire to be punished, materialized.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next