View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What Suspends Your Disbelief (or Doesn't)? 

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Post What Suspends Your Disbelief (or Doesn't)?
Willing suspension of disbelief is what you have when you read, watch, or play a work of fiction without thinking right that moment about how its elements are unrealistic. There are some things that can threaten to break the audience's willing suspension of disbelief, including deus ex machina (something improbably lucky or easy solving a problem), fridge logic (noticing something that doesn't add up if you think about it, including but not limited to plot holes), bad or annoying jokes, bad acting or writing, and cliches. When have you seen one of these in a fictional work that broke your suspension of disbelief?

The first specific example that comes to my mind is Krystal's obviously fake British accent in Star Fox Assault. It makes it hard to take her seriously, and it can be distracting.

I've also noticed that different media seem to have a different extent of winning suspension of disbelief on different people. There are many points between believing and not believing. No one fully believes in something labeled as fiction; we just don't fully disbelieve it either if we get properly engrossed. Sometimes certain media get a little more willing suspension of disbelief for certain people.

To use me as an example, it is easiest for live theater to suspend my disbelief, and it's hardest for movies. As theater is preformed by real people with real surroundings, I think it looks the most realistic. The reason this doesn't work for movies is because it requires a TV, and you just simply can't disguise the fact that it's all digital. It's a bit better on huge theater TVs, and 3D can help a little, but skilled enough live actors will still suspend my disbelief more.

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:01 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: What Suspends Your Disbelief (or Doesn't)?
Wonderful 101 made me feel like I could believe anything they threw at me. I didn't notice just how many Deus ex Machinas there were in the finale and just how ridiculous they were until the 2nd playthrough. Platinum Games shoves it's ego by creating a giant robot out of nowhere with their logo on it, vehicles you thought were destroyed survive and help right when you need it, it's insane. However, the game's nature makes you believe it. Everything before has been so nonsensical that when it starts to be serious, and have good writing, you're willing to buy everything. At least, I was. Firemaster nitpicked EVERYTHING, even though that's just natural to him, and fun.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:54 pm

Black Metal Brony

Black Metal Brony

Can't really think of anything specific that makes me suspend my disbelief...

An element which often cause media to fail to suspend my disbelief however, is whenever magic is involved. So many fictional narratives that involve magic to some extent treat it like something way too convenient, and usually fail to make me find it believable. Even the Harry Potter movies which belong to a massive franchise with huge production values treat much of it's magic in a way that I just can't find very believable. It's like there's a spell for everything except for what you'd really need one for. Of course it'd pretty difficult to make magic believable as it's a concept that just isn't real, but I feel like it could be handled a lot better than it usually is. The Lord of The Rings movies did a pretty good job with it's magic, but magic in general wasn't exactly a major focus in those films, nor was it a concept that was developed much. What was seen of it seemed believable to me however. As much as I love the show, MLP really treat it's magic poorly too. More than once has a spell been used as a straight up Deux Ex Machina resolver, and these episodes generally leave me fairly annoyed. Then again, it's a kid's show, so maybe this kind of judgement is unwarranted.

But yeah, magic generally screw things up for me.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:29 am
Profile WWW

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Usually I have a flexible suspension of disbelief for magic, maybe because I love it so much. Almost everything I like has magic, or if not some other unrealistic phlebotinum. (TV tropes is ruining my life and vocabulary. Definition: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... hlebotinum . Sorry, I don't know how to hyperlink.) I like fiction to be unrealistic, because my logic is that reality definitely shows me enough reality.

There is one specific instance though magic in My Little Pony has broken my suspense of disbelief. In the second part of the first episode, when it was revealed that the last element of harmony was magic, I was stunned for a minute thinking, "What? :?" It just doesn't fit in with the others. My best friend and I laugh together; we are honest with each other; we are loyal to each other; we are kind and generous to each other, but neither of us are magical, and we don't need magic to be good friends. Couldn't she have an actual element of friendship as her element of friendship?

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Oh, and don't you love how accio, and elohamora, (not sure if I spelled that right, but the lock opening spell) work and don't work as the plot requires? Oh, and has anyone else ever thought "Why can't he just summon the dragon egg with accio then?" I like Harry Potter, but I do have to admit there's a lot of fridge logic.

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:57 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

I think it depends on just how invested you are into the form of media that increases your suspension of disbelief. In Final Fantasy XIII, there's a major plot hole in the first 2 hours. The main characters are all cursed to complete an objective within a certain amount of time before suffering a fate worse than death. At first it seemed interesting, especially with everything else that was going on. However, the being that cursed the main character, as well as all of it's kind, is DESPERATE to have that objective completed, and NEVER DIRECTLY TELLS YOU!!! I didn't notice this on my first playthrough because like I said, I was interested in everything that was going on.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]