View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mecha and Giant Robots 

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Generic Title is generic and boring. Honestly I think this thread doesn't need to exist but I thought what the heck I might as well make it and see where it goes. Anyways the topic is mechas. Either love em or hate em they seem to be a popular thing when it comes to Japan. Whether it be the cash cow that is Mobile Suit Gundam or the critically acclaimed Evangelion series, come here to discuss your thoughts and opinions on the mecha genre.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Mecha and Giant Robots
Twist wrote:
I think they can be done pretty damn well as long as Michael Bay isn't behind it.

This. I'm not very fond of giant robots themselves.

I'm only fond of people using mechs in fiction so long as it's more than just their method of fighting. Xenogears did a great job of this with the plot point of a character discovering how to merge people with Gears so that the time lag between the pilot and gear's movement would be erased. There were some other things that game did, but I can't think of anything outside of Xenogears that made me go "holy crap! Giant robots!"

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

The genre is easily now one of my favorites as I just love the idea and concept behind mecha and giant robots. This genre typically gets a lot of hate and FEZ said earlier that the idea is almost identical to ground combat without a mecha but this simply isn't the case at times. But as he mentioned above with Xenogears that is a great reasoning as to what can make the genre unique and it's not the only place where you see this. Neon Genesis Evangelion also incorporates the mecha into the plot and are used as a heavy plot element to the point where the pilots and the Evangelions are literally linked with each other and only specific people can pilot the Evangelions.

One thing that I love about the genre is the effect the mecha can have on the pilot. In the case with Xenogears or even Evangelion both the main characters don't want to pilot the mecha but must in order to fulfill and accomplish certain goals. This in turn affects the pilot in certain ways mainly in depression and angst as they are fighting when they really don't want to but must do so for certain reasons.

I really would like to go on and on but I'll end by simply saying that this genre offers A LOT more than people would expect you just have to look out for it as there is a large variety of different mecha anime/media. Heck there are even mecha model kits that are extremely fun and easy to build and is probably the reason why I got into the genre. Yes, building model kits made me appreciate mecha more so than I ever thought possible.

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:15 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]