View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Seen It a Million Times 

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Post Seen It a Million Times
You know that moment where you're watching a movie, reading a book, playing a game, etc, and then something happens that you've seen a million times--a cliche. Unless it is being parodied for humor, you face palm, or roll your eyes, or go off at the screen or page, and your willing suspension of disbelief teeters, plummets, and explodes. These are the tropes that you've seen so much you can no longer take them seriously. What are the cliches that annoy you most?

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:42 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Seen It a Million Times
Honestly, no cliches annoy me. The only time plot devices annoy me is when they're done poorly. A good example is a story that you know is all just one build-up to a large revelation at the end. Whether I dislike it or not all depends on how it's written. If the build-up is mediocre but the twist is great, then I'm satisfied, and vice versa. There's not really anything where if I'm able to predict everything I'm dissatisfied. Heck, even Xenoblade, regarded as one of the best jRPGs of the 7th console generation if not of all-time, has a LOT of cliches, but it's all written and presented so well it doesn't matter.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:02 pm

iPunch stuff

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

Clichés usually don't bother me much but if there's one repetitive thing you can find often that I hate, it's harem manga clichés.

You can predict entire chapters thanks to them making the read much more frustrating than it is already.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:20 pm

Woman of Letters

WMB Addict

WMB Addict

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Depending on the person, some cliches are tolerable if they are done well enough, yes.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is the damsel in distress, of course. I can live with it in moderation if there's also a competent girl, but when there's one girl that ALWAYS gets kidnapped in every game or episode, it gets really annoying.
Another thing I'd like to mention is convenient revealed royalty in fairytales of the Disney style. A prince or princess falls in love with a commoner, but their parents have other ideas, insist they must marry royalty, and arrange a different marriage. Without fail it will be revealed at the end that the commoner actually is a prince or princess, maybe even the person they were arranged to marry anyway. It feels too convenient and contrived, and I think it would be more interesting for a prince or princess to ACTUALLY marry a commoner, like inDisney's Alladin, which avoided this in a really heartwarming way. :)

Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 pm

WMB Gravekeeper

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

That same sound made when someone falls off a cliff, ledge, etc. It reminds me of Star Wars, and annoyingly so. Heard it too much, and it's very easy to spot.

Lament the old days, where everyone was excited for news of Midna being in Hyrule Warriors, and times before that... And now, it's just dust. Unfortunately, all good things are bound to come to an end.

But new good things always have an opportunity to spring up. Where there was WMB, before it truly found its end, a few members moved to a new site, created by our own. DnDarknuts, a Zelda-based roleplay forum.

Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:11 am
Profile WWW

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

I only hate cliches if they're done poorly. Sometimes, they are done well, though.

For example, Patrick Stewart made The Emperor's lines in Oblivion sound epic, even though they were horrendously cheesy and cliche sometimes since it's all about darkness and heirs and assassins.

Another example is The Last of Us' story. Blah blah blah, zombies, blah blah blah, need to get the cure, blah blah blah. We've heard this story before. But the damn thing punches you right in the feels every step of the way and does it with such perfection. I may get some objections (somebody please reply with that objection picture) that disagree with this comment about TLOU but it's what I've found through playing and experiencing it.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Robert Lutece

Site Savior

Site Savior

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Watching San Andreas a couple of weeks back reminded me of one of the most annoying cliches. Y'know, the one where the husband of the hero's ex-wife is a total jerk? All to make the hero look so much better? C'mon, at that point, the husband isn't even a character. He's a prop. That just feels so cheap to me.

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:05 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

One cliche that bothers me is when a protagonist misunderstnds another protagonist, and they get into a fight over the misunderstanding. This really annoys me because we all know what's going to happen. They're going to realize that they were idiots, team up, and go solve the problem. The most notable use everyone should be able to think of is Hyrule Warriors with Midna. It infuriated me that Midna's introduction was done through this. We all knew that we were going to be able to use Midna. We knew she was enemies with Cia. Yet we still have to fight her because she thinks we're allies of Cia. The fight wasn't painful because I had to battle Midna. The fight was painful because I had to fight her for such a stupid reason.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]