View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 John Dies at the End 

Anxious Mo-Fo

Awesome Music

Awesome Music

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I've debated making this topic for a while now, but I'm just too excited about it at the moment to hold back.

John Dies at the End is my favorite book ever. I guess I feel personally connected to it a little bit because I first read it while it was still available for free on David Wong's site in the form of a bunch of really long interconnected blog posts, and got to see it become a book published under a major name and now a movie. Anyway, I love it.

David Wong is telling the autobiographical account of his terrifying life, starting with his best friend John's band playing a show after which a bunch of people are introduced to a mind/reality altering drug called soy sauce by a fake Jamaican. Some things happen, which include:

1. Bratwurst used as a cell phone
    2. Impersonating the Elton John backing band to infiltrate the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas
    3. A number of time discontinuities
    4. Wig monsters
    5. John exposing himself to the people watching him from inside his TV
    6. Super Soaker flamethrower
    7. Shit Narnia
    8. Faked seizures in Spanish
    9. Exploding policemen
    10. Exploding a lot of things, actually
    11. Chair puns
    12. A pervading sense that nothing will ever be okay again beneath your heaving laughter

I've read it three times, twice in book form, and I'm impressed every single time at how he manages to write both the funniest and most horrifying tale ever.

Anyway, the book has been out for a while now, released about a year ago finally in paperback form. They actually had a contest in which they gave away something like 30 copies of the paperback away to people who submitted some artistic JDatE related thing that impressed them enough. I participated and actually was one of the winners with my interpretation of Gay Superman on bouzouki.

But enough about me!! What you should be excited for is the movie that they're making now. Don Coscarelli is directing, which is awesome because he's like the best cult horror movie director ever, according to most people who know about that kind of thing. I have a few tiny issues with the trailer but for the most part it looks amazing, and they're making this into a movie at all so I can't complain. You should go watch it. Also follow their blog, because it's great.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19477_jo ... ailer.html
http://www.johndiesattheend.com/updates/

Isn't this the coolest thing to ever happen?!!?!?!????

Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]