View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Guitars, guitarists and stuff. 

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

I got an I-don't-know-how-many hand guitar for my birthday a few years back, but I've never had any music lessons of any kind, so I haven't a clue how to play it. I've tried to teach myself, but my hand's too small and I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong >_< It also de-tunes itself really quickly, and the tuning pegs have basically disintegrated, so tuning it is an exercise in itself. Now it just kinda gets in the way, because I don't really have anything to do with it. So I just leave it to look pretty. (It doesn't do particularly well at that, either)

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Black Metal Brony

Black Metal Brony

Is it still a mortal sin to post in age-old threads around here? I hope not, because It's 4 in the night, everyone's asleep, and I'm bored. So bored that I eventually started looking through old stuff here on WMB to eventually come across this thing that I felt I could say stuff about.

Playing guitar has been a rather casual and minor hobby of mine ever since I first got a guitar a little more than 3 years ago (15th birthday), however I've been taking it more seriously as of late and I've been wanting to improve and at some point even be able to record some original stuff.
I currently own a ESP LTD MH-100QM guitar and a very cheap BC Rich Warlock model. I wanted two as I often change between playing in E/Drop D and Drop A#/Drop B tuning and it's a pain to change strings all the time.

Two very crappy guitars I'm sure, as they were both rather cheap. I don't know just how big of a difference the quality of the instrument has on the sound/playing, as I've never had the chance to hold a really expensive guitar before. I've been told that the experience can vary quite a bit however, which is why I've started saving for a Schecter Damien Elite.
The only other guitar I've used beyond my two own is some shitty damn-near broken Cort at school which is available for any student to play (even me who is studying architecture rather than music).

I've been having problems learning pinch harmonics as well, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Been practicing sweep picking a lot too, but that's not really going very well at all right now... I'm currently aiming to learn the solo to Avenged Sevenfold's Afterlife, however given the situation with the damn sweeps, it's not going great. I can do everything but the sweeps in that solo just fine though, but yeah... I'm also going through learning all of Metallica's One, as me and a friend is going to record a cover of it at Music Production class in the coming weeks. He volunteered to sing. It's going to be so much fun... Anyway, that's going just fine. Nothing all too complicated even in the solo. Should be a lot of fun to do. If he sings as well as he did when we recorded Fear Of The Dark, it's going to be amazingly humorous.

Given the fact that you seem to have quite a lot of experience on the subject, Twist, I was wondering if you could enlighten me in regards to the difference between higher versus lower quality guitars. Is it easier/harder to play, or is the sound just better? The Cort at school was an absolute pain to play but that guitar was probably a million years old, and broken in many ways. Would it be worth buying a Damien Elite to replace my ESP in your opinion?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]