View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 FEZ's Game Reviews(Current: Mega Man 5) 

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post FEZ's Game Reviews(Current: Mega Man 5)
In my eyes, ace attorney is a very underrated video game that everyone should play. This is my first review, so let's get started!

Plot: You play as a defense attorney named Phoenix Wright, solving murder cases usually through accusing the witness. After a case involving his mentor, Mia Fey, her younger sister, Maya, decides to help Phoenix in solving cases. Even though the cases have a dark feeling to them, there's an astonishingly large amount of comedy relief, without ruining the mood. This game has 4 cases, and an additional 5th case was released when the game was remade. The formula of the game is redundant and extremely linear, but it's still a thrilling experience.

Gameplay: This game is mainly focused on the plot, and the gameplay is suited to make the player interact with the characters. When in court, you are usually cross-examining a witness, and you must present evidence to expose a contradiction in the testimony. If you can't find a contradiction, then you are supposed to press the witness on certain statements to squeeze more information out of them. Outside of court, you are investigating tne crime scene or talking to people connected to the case. This is a game where the player will need to think things through in order to progress. The only problem is, as stated before, there is nothing else to do aside from advancing with the plot.

Music: Ace Attorney has an incredible score packed with music that makes you excited to discover the truth of the case, and a few other tracks are rather heartbreaking. All of the music is played in a very suitable and proper situation. The only problem is there aren't too many tracks in the game.

Overall, if you are looking for a mentally challenging game with a fair amount of humor every step along the way, look no further. This game is being sold for the DS, and can be downloaded off of Wii Virtual Console.

Pros:
-Memorable characters
-Great storytelling
-Interactive gameplay
-Suiting music

Cons:
-Very linear
-Low replay value

Final Score:
9/10

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Last edited by FEZeldalord12345 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:09 am, edited 12 times in total.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:22 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Dragoon was Sony's first attempt at making an rpg. This was indeed a great game, but there are some serious flaws in it.

Graphics: 10/10
I usually don't include the graphics in the score, but there are games where I will make exceptions. In this case, LoD has the best ps1 graphics I've seen. While the normal graphics of Final Fantasy VIII were better, I personally prefer the in-battle graphics of LoD a little more. As for the FMVs, watch them yourself to understand how breathtaking they are. The FMVs also have voice acting, but there aren't any subtitles.

Music: 9/10
I was shocked at how good the music was. There were thrilling tracks, sad tracks, and great battle tracks. However, I wasn't really interested in the world map themes. Legend of Dragoon also has the most energetic boss theme ever.

Plot: 8.5/10
The plot follows the rules of jrpgs, starting with your home village being burned down to the ground. A war has begun, and a young man named Dart postponed his quest to avenge his parents to save Serdio from the occupation of Sandora. Dart soon learns there was a man pulling the strings of the war, and Dart pursues him along with his comrades. There are 2 major themes in this game. The first is to forget about the past, and look forward towards the future. This happens a number of times. The other is fighting against fate. ...have you noticed that aside from the FF games, all of the best ps1 games have had fate play a major part in the game?(Xenogears, Chrono Cross)

Gameplay: 8/10
In battle, you have 5 commands for everyone. The Attack command is what you will use most of the time. This game uses timed hits, like super mario rpg, but in here, they're called additions. When you attack your opponent a square will zoom in on the enemy and if you press X at the right time, you will land another attack. At first, this is like Super Mario rpg and FFVIII, where it's nice, but not mandatory. However once you're past the 2-hour mark, it becomes necessary, and some of the additions you learn later on are incredibly difficult, needing to hit X up to 7 times. It is fun, but not everyone is coordinated enough for it. Defend is the most useful I have seen in rpgs. Not only do you take half damage from all attacks, not only does it make you immune to debuffs, but it restores 10% of your hp. Items are very useful in this game, due to the lack of magic. There are actually buffing and debuffing items that you can only use once per battle, but regenerates at the end of the battle. However, you won't be using them much outside of boss battles. When you reach a certain point in the game, you will be able to turn into a Dragoon. When you gain enough spirit points via attacking, you can turn into a Dragoon, but you can only stay a Dragoon for 1 turn for every 100 spirit points you currently have. Then, you can unleash powerful attacks and magic. However, that's literally all you can do. When you're a Dragoon, you can't use items, flee, or even revert back to human form. As a result, you're only going to be transforming in boss battles. The magic animations are cool, until you realize that you can never skip them! You will grow sick of watching the same 30 second attack animation over and over again.

Even though the gameplay had more than a couple flaws, I still really enjoyed the game. If you have a ps3 or psp, I recommend downloading this game off of the playstation network.

Pros
-40% eye candy
-Deep plot
-Great music

Cons
-Absurd timed hits
-Outside of bosses, very little strategy

Final Score: 8.5/10

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!

Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:17 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Xenogears
After Final Fantasy VII was released, it was wondered if Square could make a better game. This is where Xenogears came into play. But was it enough to succeed what many consider to be one of the greatest games ever made? IMO, by far.

Graphics: 9/10
This was a beautiful combination of 16-bit sprites and a 32-bit environment. Character and monster sprites are all visually appealing, and best of all, attack animations are stunning without it taking half a minute to finish! My only complaint is sometimes the camera angle wouldn't cooperate, but this doesn't harm the overall experience.

Music: 10/10
The music was done by the same person who composed Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. There are some tracks that bare some resemblance to Trigger.(The Wind is Calling) The score contains music that can put you on every emotional level. To top it all off, 2nd best normal boss theme ever. That is all.

Plot: 10/10
The plot has to do with religion, I am an atheist, and this is perhaps the greatest plot I have ever seen in my life. It starts off with a war between the Kingdom of Aveh and the Kislev Empire, which has lasted for centuries. During the war, giant humanoid robots, or -Gears- as they were called, have been discovered and both sides raced to earn more Gears. Kislev earned more supplies, but a mysterious force from the Sacred Empire of Solaris known as Gebler appeared to assist Aveh, and they have been routing Kislev ever since. During the war, a man named Fei Fong Wong comes across a high-tech Gear that both countries are after. As he makes his escape, he encounters many characters that seek to end the war. As they do, they discover the truth around Solaris, and humankind itself. That may sound somewhat ambiguous, but I feel as though that's still too much of a spoiler. However, the plot is extremely complex, so it's not a big deal. I have to warn you that the presentation completely changes on disc 2. Up until now, you have been living the story. On disc 2, it's told to you. The plot itself is still great, but just prepare for a change of pace. This is the only thing that stops me from giving the plot an 11/10.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
The gameplay isn't bad, but it's the game's weak point. In battle, you have action points that somewhat work like the stamina in Chrono Cross. When you use a weak, strong or fierce attack, you use 1,2 or 3 stamina respectively. You also learn Deathblows, which are acquired by using certain attack combinations. Deathblows are very powerful, but you're not going to be using much outside of it. You have traditional magic and buffs, but they're usually unnecessary to get past most fights. There is only one debuff, but I LOVE it. There is also a combo command, where you use unused stamina to unleash multiple deathblows at once. However, in order to efficiently obtain enough action points, you will be doing very little damage in several turn. It's basically, "use weak attacks for 7 turns to use 7 deathblows at once". Why don't you just use said deathblow during that time period?
There are also battles in Gears, which also involve weak strong and fierce attacks, but it's limited by fuel. This makes you really think on how exactly you should get through all of the fights. Also YOU CAN ACTUALLY JUMP OUTSIDE OF COMBAT!!! I love that so much! It gives a real three-dimensional feel to the game.

If you are willing to overlook straightforward gameplay for a mind blowing plot, you are henceforth required to get a psp and download this game! You will love all 50 hours you put into Xenogears!

Pros:
-Best plot ever
-Incredible score
-Linear, but stunning environment.

Cons:
-Presentation of disc 2
-Not much strategy

Final Score: 9.5/10

Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:28 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Final Fantasy VIII
Some people loved Final Fantasy VIII, and at the same time it made other people really mad. Is it worth playing?

Graphics:10/10
Easily a perfect score in this category. The quality was a huge leap from Final Fantasy VII, and the franchise continued to have great attack and magic animations. You're also given great camera control on the world map.

Music:10/10
When doesn't a game with Nobuo Uematsu get a 10/10 in music? There were so many mind-blowing tracks starting off with Liberi Fatali, continuing to The Landing, and Premonition and The Extreme are some of the best boss battle themes in the series! This game also featured Eyes on Me, one of the best-selling video game songs ever made.

Plot/Characters:6/10
I wasn't entirely sure what to put for this, but 6/10 seems about right. As far as the characters go, there's nothing special but nothing bad...except for Squall. He does show conference towards everything he does, but he shows almost no personality. As you progress through the game, you learned that he had a tough childhood, and he didn't want to have friends so he wouldn't have to bear the pain of eventually losing them. ...Really? Squaresoft couldn't think of a better reason to have an emo protagonist? Fei from Xenogears is emo, but he had actually good reasons for that. Fei lost his life, and Squall only lost one friend.

Anyway, now for the plot. It started off, pretty interesting. Squall is a mercenary from Balamb Garden who is assigned a mission which eventually led to him challenging a sorceress attempting to take over the world. As the plot progresses, he meets Rinoa, a leader of a resistance force from her own hometown, and Squall's love interest. The first disc and a half are really epic, but then the plot becomes far too focused on Squall and Rinoa. Disc 3 is where I stopped liking the plot. Rinoa fell into a coma, and Squall spends 80% of the disc trying to bring them back together again. There's still a villain, but in reality, Squall doesn't care. He just wants to be with Rinoa. To make matters worse, the method used to confront the main antagonist is too random. All in all, in order to like the plot, you have to like Rinoa.

Gameplay:4/10
This is what really killed the game for many players. Enemies level up as you do, so level grinding is pointless. You do eventually gain abilities that can increase your stats further ahead when you level up, but its negligible. The real way your characters grow is through junctioning your magic to your stats. In order to earn magic, you have to draw it from your enemies. And there's no reason to not draw 100 of each spell, because if its your first playthrough, you don't know if you'll need a certain spell or not. Even with the epic battle music, the battle speed at maximum, and the cursor set to remember your last combat action so you can just hold down the confirm button, its still tedious and boring. There are other ways to obtain magic such as refining items into magic, but this presents 2 problems.

1.You will most likely become unbelievably overpowered and challenge will no longer exist.

2. You're still just substituting busy work with busy work.
Furthermore, the quantity of each spell you have affects your stats, so you won't want to use your magic, because by doing so, you decrease your stats. In addition, everyone can do everything, which makes everyone a clone of each other. The only thing that differenciates the characters are their desperation attacks, or Limit Breaks as they're called, which you'll barely use until late game.

Also, you get better weapons by trading in certain components instead of just buying it. Unlike Chrono Cross, it's very difficult to find these items without a walkthrough. Also, the stat boost from the weapon almost doesn't matter. The only character whose weapon is worth upgrading is Squall's because his weapon affects his limit break.
As flawed as the battle mechanics are, it also presents many ways to play through the game, drastically increasing the replay value.

I didn't touch everything about the battle mechanics because there's way too much to talk about, but for the most part, wanting to obliterate the game or not is personal preference. If you like a love story with no challenge, you'll like this game. If not, stay away from this game or you'll end up like The Spoony One.

Pros:
-Great music
-Great graphics
-High replay value

Cons:
-Extremely breakable
-Too focused on love story
-Not many interesting characters

Overall: 7/10

Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Final Fantasy XIII
The first game in the series to be on more than one console, and at the same time, the most controversial in the series. Is it truly worth playing?

OK, first off, I like FFXIII, but it is not a true Final Fantasy game. It still maintains Active Time Battle, the proper spell names, but the only time it feels like a Final Fantasy game is when you see the references to the past Final Fantasy games, or when you meet Cid. That being said, different doesn't mean bad.

If you don't think the graphics deserve a 10/10, you're either lying, or beyond high. This is the only game I've ever played where the quality of the graphics were so great, it actually made me increase the score. Another sign of effort is Square Enix remade the cutscenes in the English version of the game to sync up the character's lips and the English voices.

Music:8/10
Overall, above average soundtrack, but the lack of Nobuo Uematsu shows during the early parts of the game, where aside from the boss theme and maybe the battle theme, the music is atmospheric, but uninteresting. When you hit chapter 9, though, the music starts to get really good from there. FIghting Fate is incredibly epic, as is Born Anew. Eden under Seige was incredibly suiting and adventurous. However, the music doesn't really give off much of emotion. And when there is something of emotion you can feel from the music itself isn't that good.

Plot/Characters: 7/10
This is where personal preference plays an extremely crucial part on whether you like the game. Lightning looks like a female Cloud, but her personality is based more off of Squall. Thankfully, she isn't an emo brooder. Snow is seen as 'all talk', which does show as he talks really big all the time, but he has the fist to back it up. Literally. Sazh is kind of your stereotypical black guy without it being offensive. He has a good sense of humor from cutscene 1, and his motivations for his actions are entirely understandable. It doesn't seem like anyone dislikes Sazh. Hope, however, is the one everyone despises with a burning passion. He holds a grudge against Snow because his mother was killed in an incident and he wasn't able to save her. Hope took out all of his anger on Snow, even though he knew that he shouldn't. As a result, Hope is commonly described as, and I quote, a "whiny little bitch." Vanille is another character that gets a lot of hate, because of her incredibly cheery personality. I didn't mind, and she gets really good character development later on, probably the best out of everyone in the game.

The plot itself is best described as 'starts out interesting, gets stupid, then kicks ass.' Not going too much into spoilers, storytelling is poor, even with the plethora of cutscenes. The game gives the impression that Square Enix tried to make it more realistic, and as a result, the characters almost never directly say what's going on, leaving you in the dark for a few hours. You are given a datalog, which recaps all of the events that have happened, and gives background to the world of FFXIII. However, that's all it should do, and should have no other use. Instead, the storytelling heavily relies on the player reading the events in the datalog. You will find yourself asking 'What's Cocoon? What's a Fal'Cie?' I was able to make an accurate guess because I was extremely observant, but this game is still very vague in objectives. Speaking of which, from chapters 3-8, there are no real objectives!
Lightning and the others were all turned into L'Cie; humans whom are given magical powers to complete a Focus given to them by the Fal'Cie, shown in a hazy, cryptic glimpse, and they must complete it to become a crystal and supposedly gain eternal life, or become a zombie for all eternity. The concept around the Focus is so stupid! You're given a cryptic vision as your only lead to what your Focus could be, and that's it! You're basically a slave, and your master doesn't tell you what to do! As a result, you spend the next 6 chapters just moving from Point A to Point B. When you make it to chapter 9, approximately 13 hours in, you're finally given a real objective. From here, the story finally gets more interesting as you learn the background around Cocoon, and what the Fal'Cie are planning. I wish it could've been like this the rest of the game, but better late than never.

Gameplay:10/10
My favorite battle system in the entire series! This is what kept me going throughout those dull 10 hours of 0 plot progression. In the first 2 chapters, it starts off simple for players who have never heard of Active Time Battle. Each character has their own gauge that constantly fills throughout the course of the battle. During this time, the player inputs commands for 1 character to use. The other characters are controlled by the game's AI. You have auto-battle, which automatically sets up a list of commands suiting to the situation. Abilities, to select your commands manually. Techniques are unique abilities that cost Technique Points to use. And then there's the items command, which is self-explanatory. Once you hit chapter 3, everything becomes a lot more strategic. Each character gets their own set of roles to use in combat. Commando is the heavy-hitter of the group, ravager uses elemental attacks, medic heals the team, synergist buffs the party, saboteurs debuff enemies, and sentinels are really good tanks. While each character can only use one role at a time, you can create 6 sets of roles called Paradigms, and switch in between them throughout the battle. This really implements a lot of strategy into fights, especially when you see how useful buffs and debuffs are. The only downside is that if your leader dies, it's game over. Thankfully, there is no real penalty to that, as you start just outside the group of enemies you just fought without having lost anything. It can be frustrating, but oddly enough, I never was.

FFXIII was a drastic change from the rest of the Final Fantasy series, but if you care more about great fights instead of plot, then buy this game for your PS3, or Xbox 360. The only differences between the two are controls, graphic limitations(Xbox version is 3 discs long), and the PS3 version has a few more trophies, but nothing important. Just pick one and have a blast.

Pros:
-Strategic gameplay
-Beautiful graphics
-Good music

Cons:
-Poor storytelling
-Lackluster objectives
-Takes a while for the game to get really good

Overall:8.5/10

Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:32 am

Professional Circle Clicker

O_O;

O_O;

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Yup, horrible story telling. There was more than one occasion where I had to pull out the story logs to figure out what exactly all those weird names meant. It didn't help that two of the names were almost the same but yet meant almost completely two different things either. Fal'Cie = bad guys. L'Cie = good guys. Wait what? And then these zombies over there are also L'Cie? Not confusing at all.

And another con I would probably give the game is that it's too linear. The sentence "too linear" might be a bit over-used in general. But you literally have no choice but go the preset path that is laid out for you in advance until you get to chapter 11, which is almost at the end of the game. When you get there though, the game opens up for real.

With that said, nice review. It was an interesting read and I can certainly relate to a lot in it, lol.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:03 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Final Fantasy XIII
I never looked through the events section in the datalog once, actually. At the end of chapter 2, I was able to understand what Fal'Cie and L'Cie are, and Cie'th and a Focus. If you can understand that, you can understand the rest of the plot. If you think this game was incredibly vague try out Chrono Cross.
Those are actually just the most common criticisms. As for the linearity, I didn't mind actually. Like I said, the battle mechanics were the best part of the game. And if you're calculating game time, when you hit chapter 11, you're not even halfway done.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:17 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time, and in my opinion, the greatest game ever made.

Compare this to other Super Nintendo graphics, and you will see just how well Chrono Trigger excelled. Not just the quality of the graphics, even though I could say that, but Squaresoft did such a great job of making each area and time period feel completely different from one another! While they did recycle the Guardia Castle map, this is understandable since the difference between those two time periods is only 400 years. The attack animations were also really cool and never took more than 15 seconds! Super Mario RPG also had great graphics, but Chrono Trigger just had a great charm to it.

I like to call Yasunori Mitsuda the "underrated Nobuo Uematsu." This was his first time working on a soundtrack to any video game, and it was beyond excellent. Each theme was memorable, suiting to each and every area, and tracks were rarely recycled. There was Boss Battle 2, Battle with Magus, Singing Mountain,(even though this wasn't released in the final version of the game) Tyrano Lair, Corridors of Time, Bottom of the Night, they were all just brilliant pieces of music. The ending theme is also my 2nd favorite ending theme of all time, only to be beaten by Link to the Past. It's amazing that Mitsuda came up with it in his sleep!

Plot/Characters: 10/10

A plot about time travel is usually either really complicated, or leaves a lot of inconsistencies. Chrono Trigger doesn't do the former at all, and leaves very few inconsistencies that can be easily resolved through simple theories. A boy named Crono and his friends were sent to 2300 A.D. through a time portal, or a 'Gate', as they're called. There, they see the world as a desolate wasteland, destroyed by a giant monster called Lavos. After Crono sees this, he travels back and forth through time, trying to learn how to defeat Lavos. Along the way, he encounters many different characters, from a robot with a personality, to a hard-hitting cavewoman, to a revenge-seeking knight. Objectives are constant and clear in the game, and while you're not thrown right into the action, you are soon enough. Something else that was really great is the characters do gain background as you progress through the story, but you learn even more about them throughout sidequests! Why can't other video games do this?

Gameplay:10/10

I fell in love with the gameplay the moment I started the game, saw the words "Active Time Battle Ver. 2", and I was forced to choose between Wait and Active. The battle system is similar to the earlier Final Fantasy games where each character has their own ATB bar, and when that bar is filled up, that's when you select your character's commands. Wait means the ATB stops when you're selecting spells or items so enemies won't attack you, and Active means that the ATB will only stop during attack animations. In addition to this, characters learn techs, or abilities by earning tech points. It still contains your traditional magic, but also has unique abilities such as Crono's cyclone, which hits all enemies in a specific area. The amount of experience points you earn for leveling up and the amount of tech points you earn are really well-balanced, except for two enemies that give 100 tech points, but that's only for people who want to grind. Furthermore, characters can also combine their techs to create dual techs, and even triple techs!

Chrono Trigger is very linear for a while, but I don't care. They manage to balance out exploring and plot advancement well in this game. Something the game does really well is give you items in treasure chests that are actually useful! I hate it when the game has a chest that's really hard to get, and the reward just isn't worth the effort. The way you acquire your weapons is by either finding them in a chest or buying them, like RPGs should. I also love how you get your character's ultimate weapons through short, but interesting sidequests.

In short, Chrono Trigger is a must-have for everyone, casual and hardcore gamers. It was remade on the Playstation, but not without insane load times. The DS version had more bonus dungeons, an extra multiplayer mode, and anime cutscenes! However, the translation just didn't have the charm it did in the SNES version.(Knights of the Square Table) If you own a Wii, download this off of the Wii Shop Channel for 800 wii points, and if you own a DS, try to get a copy of it at Gamestop. If you have both systems, get both versions! Words can't describe how great this game is! Heck, I'm not even listing a pro/con list this time, because while there are cons, they are very very minor. So overall, Chrono Trigger...

Perfect 10/10

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Super Mario Galaxy
OK, before I go any further, let me say that this game has just surpassed Ocarina of Time on gamerankings. As a result of that, my opinion towards this game is rather biased, which is very unbecoming of me. So I'll make a review of it now before I become even more biased than I already am, which is very unbecoming of me. I still really like Super Mario Galaxy, I just hold a grudge against it, so let's go over it now.

Graphics:9/10
This was very stunning. The quality of the graphics were good, but forget about that. The ability to literally walk around everywhere was amazing. However, there were some parts where the controls would feel awkward as a result.

Orchestrated by Koji Kondo himself, the music is amazing, especially for a Mario game. Almost all of the score is both environmentally suiting and memorable, which I find to be difficult to pull off with an orchestra. Also, I can safely say the normal Bowser battle theme is the most grand boss theme ever.

Plot & Characters:7/10
I don't expect much of a plot out of a Mario game, but they made it somewhat different than simply rescuing Peach. This time around, Bowser stole the power of the stars and is planning to take control over the entire universe. Mario is given assistance from Rosalina, a woman who watches over the universe. There is background given to her, but as far as plot progression goes, this game is extremely straightforward and linear with no surprises. Again, that's something I would expect out of a Mario game.

Gameplay:9/10
I'll admit it. The gameplay was indeed incredible...except for the multiplayer. It still holds the traditional controls for a Mario game while containing brand new elements, such as traveling through space and literally walking all the way across planets. As far as the difficulty goes, its both challenging and fair. Also, a 2nd player can join in with just a Wii Remote and hold enemies to help out the main player. The problem with this is player 1 will have very little reason to stop moving, so player 2 would need to keep the cursor on the enemy they are holding on until its no longer necessary. It was also possible to use somersaults, long jumps, back flips and wall jumps throughout the game. However, player 2 can also make Mario jump by simply aiming the cursor at him and pressing A. This can happen by accident a lot, and can sometimes even cause the player to die. Another problem I have is the replay value. Once you beat the game, you can then play through the game as Luigi, but the controls will feel a little more slippery, so its almost like playing a separate game. And once you beat the game as both Mario and Luigi, there's really no reason to start another file, because you have access to every area in the game at all times, and whenever you enter, it always resets as if you've never completed it.

Overall, the gameplay mechanics are still really enjoyable and this is definitely a game worth playing. It's no Ocarina of Time, but its definitely one of the better Mario games.

Pros:
-Great gameplay
-Great music
-Nice plot background

Cons:
-Straightfoward and predictable plot
-Clunky multiplayer

Overall: 8.5/10

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:59 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Final Fantasy IX
I've got to get this review going. Final Fantasy IX is one of my all-time favorite games, and my 2nd favorite game in the series, only beaten by Final Fantasy IV. VI is very close behind, but IX just barely came out on top.

This was a controversial issue with the game. I've heard people didn't like the game because the artwork seemed very childish. In all honesty, I never once felt that throughout the entire game. The graphics were just as good as Final Fantasy VIII. It was even clear enough to see every single detail of the ocean, which helps a lot with a certain sidequest that I will not mention. My only complaint is a fair amount of the attack animations and the battle transition screen is rather long.(I'm looking at you, Ark)

What soundtrack with Nobuo Uematsu doesn't get at least a 9/10? Beautiful overworld music, title music, epic battle themes, really great boss theme, REALLY good final boss themes, and You're Not Alone, the greatest soundtrack I have ever heard in any game.

Plot & Characters:10/10
The best characters in the entire series. No, seriously. I can fill my list of top 10 FF characters with just FFIX characters. We have a likeable womanizer for a main protagonist, a runaway princess who adapts well to peasant life, a stubborn but noble knight, an interesting black mage, a strict but reliable dragoon,(a class that's actually useful in this game) an...androgynous thing...an astonishing summoner, a badass bounty hunter and the greatest villain in the series. You also spend a majority of discs 1 & 2 switching control over each character, kind of like FFVI.

A medieval setting, or at the very latest steampunk, is the perfect setting for a jRPG. You start off as Zidane, a thief with a tail who with his band of thieves plans to kidnap the princess of Alexandria...or the queen.(if anyone has seriously selected that 64 times, I applaud you.) Things don't go exactly as planned, but you still manage to get away with the princess. Not without the queen blowing up your airship, but you still get out of there in one piece. As you try to take the princess back to your home in Lindblum, you learn that the queen has begun a war with the country of Burmecia, and later it spreads throughout the whole world. Zidane and co sets out to save their homes and learn who is truly behind the wars.

Gameplay:9/10
This game did an amazing job with fixed classes on your characters. You would always be able to make it through each area in the game just fine unless you had a team of healers. Something interesting the game also did is during the storyline before you can choose your party, you were forced to use purposefully imbalanced parties, yet it still wasn't too hard, except for the boss of a certain grotto. You also learn abilities from your own equipment which really makes you think about what you should equip. The downside to all of this is Final Fantasy IX is probably the easiest in the series, but its not too big of a flaw.

If you've never played this game, you are missing out. Final Fantasy IX is, and always will be, the most beautiful game I will ever play in my life.

Pros:
-Beautiful plot
-Really great characters
-Really great music

Cons:
-Pretty easy

Overall:10/10

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next