View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Mario64Mario's Guitar Riffings 

Anxious Mo-Fo

Awesome Music

Awesome Music

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Hey, not too bad for a solo project, especially considering how new you are at this. I'll go song by song.

Forest of Illusions: My favorite part of this by far is the section at about 1:40 to 2:20. You had a neat octave melody thing over that pedal open B string. The main theme of the song has a pretty interesting chord progression, but that's about all it is: a chord progression. I really think you need to put something else over this to make it interesting, whether it's singing or another instrument, especially because of how often it's repeated. Also, maybe try varying the rhythm you strum your chords in occasionally, because you use that "one and two and a three e and four" thing for almost the entire song. If you could get some percussion, vocals, and a bass track on this, you'd have a real solid number I think.

Midnight Twilight: I like how you left it unresolved at the end. Also, it's cool how you revoice that one chord so that it's highest note slid like an octave up, which has a cool open fifth sound in it. But again, if you're just going to have solo guitar, I think you need to do more than just strum chords. This sounds more like background music to be played during a TV show where people talk over it more than a song to be listened to in itself; again I think you could really benefit from the use of an overdubbed track with something to go over that chord progression. When I compose music, I try to think of a bunch of parts that would all sound good being played on top of each other and when each should be brought to the front; maybe that approach could help you too.

Question?: This has the strongest introduction you've written so far. I actually really liked the beginning of this song, because you pulled off the arpeggiated chord thing pretty well and each chord sounded pretty cool in context. I feel like the part where it goes to those low power chords could really benefit from some heavy drums, though. It's hard to get the loud heavy feel when you don't have any percussion.

All in all, you've shown some talent in your songwriting and your guitar playing, you just write songs that aren't finished yet. All of these could be single tracks of great songs, but there's just not enough there for each to stand alone. I've never used garageband, so I'm not sure how easy this would be to do, but try to see if you can layer some parts that complement what you already have. That's the fun part about songwriting anyway-- coming up with a bunch of different ideas and getting them all to fit together. I really encourage you to keep composing and playing, because seriously, you could go somewhere with this.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]