View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Climbing 

Anxious Mo-Fo

Awesome Music

Awesome Music

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

This is a Meat Puppets cover, and it's done with every instrument I have over here: acoustic steel string guitar, bouzouki, and voice. I made it a bit more folky and added a middle section to go off the weird C# minor chord they put at the end of the chorus which I overdubbed with a guitar solo thingy. I'm actually kind of surprised at the not terrible sound quality, because this is all recorded on the microphone in my laptop.

http://www.mediafire.com/?561i36923zoa8u9

Comment and criticize, please.

Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: Kent, England, Great Britain, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way.
Once again CS, sublime instrument playing I liked the way that it needs several listens to appreciate the different 'layers', I'll try to offer more helpful vocal criticism this time, though.

I think that the 'problem' (for want of a better word) is not as much the smaller range but rather a lack of variation in it. You don't seem to bend notes very often, rather, you seem to keep at one pitch until you stop to change note completely (like in between words), you also seem to go out of range sometimes (such as the 'doo-doos' at the end). Apart from those and the odd problem transitioning between notes (such as at 00:26) I enjoyed the vocal performance on this track. This might sound a bit harsh but I actually really like your voice, I'd reckon that if, when writing yourself, you write carefully for your voice I think you could sound very good. Good work.

8/10

i
Wiggle wiggle wiggle go the tongues of the organs
Licking the face of the man they call old
His hands have seen many an organ.
And his face many a tongue.
I need a rhyme to finish this off.
Or I could be edgy, not rhyme and be bold.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:27 pm

Anxious Mo-Fo

Awesome Music

Awesome Music

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Thank you. This song is actually a bit low for me, but it would be too high if I took it up an octave because I'd have to strain for a few parts to get up there. If 0:26 is when I say "I know this doesn't rhyme" then I totally agree that it's a weird entrance; I was actually going to do another take but was like "screw it" so I didn't. Also, some of that might be that I'm singing it the way that Curt Kirkwood does, which sticks mainly to the very simple melody but that's also one of the reasons I like this song. I've never been much of one for vocal acrobatics anyway, so I can't say that would change all that much for other songs, like I probably couldn't do a passable vibrato, but it wouldn't be quite as devoid of inflection as this. As for the "doo doos" at the end, that was intentionally in falsetto and I always sort of liked when people did stuff like that because it adds a bit of levity to the whole thing.

Thanks for the compliments though. I've never had my instrument playing called "sublime" before I'm pretty sure, not like I actually deserve it but you flatter me anyway.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]