View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 LWM hates music 

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Sooo... For this 'Project 4' I'm doing at college, I have to be able to make an entire game myself. Or, rather, make a level of a game by myself. But that includes all aspects, artwork, programming, animation, gameplay, music, yadda yadda yadda. Music is the one I feel like I need more practice with... But creating a piece and listening to it over and over means it's not easy to pick out any weirdness... Urgh.

So, here's the thing, I'd like some non-subjective ears to have a listen and tell me what's wrong with this... Frankly bland piece.

You'll find it here. Boss battle-y type thingy? I guess?

Any opinions/advice/"Stop this madness you can't compose"?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: LWM hates music
Despite having 8 years of trombone experience I'm not very good when it comes to deciphering music. I play it, not analyze it. Anyway, I rather liked the intro segment. After that though, there doesn't seem to be a solid melody.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:54 pm

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Unfortunately the sequencer isn't really advanced enough to do things like that, but I'll keep the track and keep those revisions in mind for when I find a better program...

On a (hopefully) better note (har har), I made another piece which I'm happier with. It's meant to be the music from the MC's home village. Peaceful and perky and whatnot.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 pm

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Hey there! I wanted to get to this sooner but only just had time to give it a listen.

First one: I really, really like the intro, but then my opinion is about the same as Fez's afterwards. Intro has a nice solid melody, but the remainder sounds a bit disjointed. I'll have to take some more time to really take a listen and be more specific, but for sure that intro is pretty solid.

Second one is really solid as well, but my only major complaint is that once you started doubling up the deeper notes (the higher notes sounded fine), the melody started sounding a bit messy. It started to become hard to follow and slightly unpleasant for that homely feel because it sounded too erratic and "violent" with the doubled-up deep notes. They were too intense and too prominent, and it really took away from the higher melody.

Apart from those two critiques, though, I think you've done an excellent job, especially for someone who isn't fully practiced in composing. :3

You're making me want to make music... XD I feel your pain with having a hard time criticizing your own music after you've heard it so often. Back when I still used a Mac I abused the hell out of Garage Band to make music for a Pokemon gen I was working on. Listening back I think my compositions are garbage, but at the time they were great. :P

Anyway, I'll try to be more specific and more constructive when I have more time, but I'm hoping my comments have at least sort of helped...

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:19 pm
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Twist, I looked back and I did find a few misplaced notes, but most of it is from the different lines/melodies clashing.

Spooky, I see exactly what you mean. I wanted to use a different sound font for it, but none of the others sounded right. When it comes to properly editing them, though, I'll be sure to make that part softer.

Anywho, I did it again (sorry). This one is intended to be a peaceful forest area. Yet again, the sound fonts aren't quite what I was after, but that's editing to be saved for another program...

Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]