View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Co-Op in Zelda U - Potential? 

Sir Robsworth of Beeches.

Forumite

Forumite

The More The Merrier - The Potential for Co-Op Play in The Legend of Zelda for Wii U

Hello, this is my first post to WMB so I hop you all enjoy reading and discussing my thoughts. I'd also like to briefly thank the first handful of members with whom I am aquainted for giving me such a warm welcome.
- Robsworth

As many of you are no doubt aware Zelda U is upon us and we have been treated to several glimpses on the new world we're yet to be treated to the pleasure of knowing. However I would like to take this opportunity to explore and discuss the possibility of multi-player in the upcoming title.

As we have already seen the new world is incredibly vast and spacious with sprawling fields, rolling hills, mountains and bodies of water all ripe to explore. The Zelda series is well known for being a single player action adventure, but how much more fun would it be if we could share these experiences with someone else?

As demonstrated In Hyrule Warriors and other Wii U titles, the Game Pad allows for two playable characters to roam freely in the same environment utilising the Game Pad screen as their own viewpoint. Simultaneously, the other player uses a different control method (Wiimote & Nunchuck / Pro Controller) and views their actions on the TV screen.

Baring this feature in mind, I believe that two players can easily share the same adventures, puzzles, battles and experiences together.

Do you think this should be a possibility?
Is this something players would want as an optional feature?

Discuss.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 am

ilvl 684 Neckbeard

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

I think it'd be pretty cool to see that however it is unfortunately quite unlikely.

We all know the same trio that's been going around for what, 30 years now, the Link Zelda and Ganon/Big bad dude. It would have to rework that whole thing to be able to support another player and storywise would be difficult to have an identical experience unless something weird happened like on Four Swords.

Unidentical experience however could be quite easily managable. Have your follower companion be the person on the game pad or whatever, have differing abilities from Link and be able to click a button or whatever if you want to hear them talk.

Unfortunately if you wanted to play single player you would miss out on having another player to assist you in fights which would be difficult for balancing, either making this hilariously easy or too difficult for the more, dare I say, "casual" playerbase, and if this character was to have an AI programmed to help you it would probably be more of a detriment than anything because we all know how Nintendo likes to show off new fancy mechanics by having a lot of bosses using said mechanics (Skyward Sword comes to mind with how much motion control fights are used) and it would be difficult with an AI because we all know those co-op AI's who just either stand there like imbeciles or just do their own thing and don't give 2 cares about what you're trying to do

Flames are similar to life. Starts out blooming and invigorated, then inevitably ends up as just a charred husk

Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Co-Op in Zelda U - Potential?
Robsworth wrote:
Hello, this is my first post to WMB so I hop you all enjoy reading and discussing my thoughts.

Yes, I will have a great time hopping this post. Would you like me to bring my pogo stick for extra hopping on your others? :P

Robsworth wrote:
As demonstrated In Hyrule Warriors and other Wii U titles, the Game Pad allows for two playable characters to roam freely in the same environment utilising the Game Pad screen as their own viewpoint. Simultaneously, the other player uses a different control method (Wiimote & Nunchuck / Pro Controller) and views their actions on the TV screen.

I would really love to see this, however it would be difficult to integrate. As Eclipse mentioned, having another Link would destroy balance in a traditional Zelda game, especially when fighting enemies. Do you have any idea how easy Darknuts in TP would become if another player attacked from behind? Another issue I thought of was separate screens. In most co-op action games I've played both players need to be together to move onto the next screen. However, what about hidden grottoes? If one person goes in there, will the game load for one player and not the other? It just doesn't seem like it can work by having a second Link.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]