View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Power of the Master Sword 

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

First off, I want to state that this is more of an idea than a theory and that I will be stating my thoughts and making references to the sword itself. This theory or idea, whatever you want to call it will be focused solely around the Blade of Evils Bane also known as the Master Sword. Basically I thought to myself while reading some things about this sword on other threads and websites and even when reflecting back at some of the games that is it possible for the Master Sword to be broken or become completely useless?

Well I have come to the conclusion that even though the Master Sword is indeed very powerful, it ins`t perfect. When I say it isn`t perfect I mean that the sword has its flaws such as the fact that it will lose its power overtime as seen in games such as Wind Waker where the swords power to repel evil has been lost because the two sages that are powering it are dead. It also has another flaw which is also seen in the Wind Waker that goes like this. Basically by removing the Master Sword from its pedestal, Ganondorf gains his ability to use his magic again.

Here is a quote from Ganondorf which pretty much confirms this claim:

"By the way, boy... When you drew that sword of yours out of its pedestal... Did you by chance notice how all the monsters frozen in time down there suddenly began stirring again? Do you understand precisely what that means? ...I highly doubt you do. Foolish child. While that sword is indeed the blade of evil's bane, at the same time, it has long played another role... You see, it is also a sort of key... a most wretched little key that has kept the seal on me and my magic intact! By withdrawing the blade, you have broken that seal..." — Ganondorf (The Wind Waker)

Anyways, other than just restating and confirming the facts that we already know I would like to move on to my initial thought. Can the Master Sword be destroyed or broken? I have come to the conclusion that yes the sword can probably be destroyed but I have no evidence or claims from any of the games to back this up so I will just be making very speculative and possibly unaccurate claims from my own thoughts on the sword itself. We know that the Master Sword will lose its power to repel evil overtime and that it needs to be blessed to regain that power as seen in both the Wind Waker and Skyward Sword. This right here makes the blade severly flawed because the sages or the person who must bless the sword can be killed at any given time making the blade unable to regain its lost power. So if the blades power is weakened over time then we can assume that the blade itself will become weaker and more unstable leading it to be even more vulnerable to becoming destroyed.

Well I really dont have much else to say other than that this is more of a collection of thoughts on the sword itself than an actual theory. Before I conclude this theory I would like to say that in the ending of the Wind Waker we see that Hyrule is flooded and lost beneath the waves forever with both the Master Sword and Ganondorf left beneath. This makes me think of the possibility of future games that take place after Wind Waker with Ganondorf in them. This would be a really interesting thing to see seeing as how there is no more Master Sword. How would you defeat Ganondorf without the Master Sword? Well maybe in a game with this scenario we would have to take on the task of forging a new Master Sword. Anyways this was a really poorly written theory and collection of ideas so with that I now conclude this entry.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:02 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Power of the Master Sword
Interesting thoughts. I think if the Master Sword can be shattered, it can only be done when it lacks the power to repel evil.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I also just thought about another idea. Could it be possible for the Master Sword to be reverted back to the Goddess Sword and vice versa? I say this because they are both the same blade so could it be possible for the flames that forged the sword being removed somehow? Just a thought.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

The Master Sword is something that I think they need to delve into more. We just dont know enough about this legendary blade. Skyward Sword was supposed to tell us a lot about the sword but it really didn't explain anything other than how it was forged. I want to see more games like Wind Waker where the sword is heavily invovled with the plot of the story.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:16 am
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I am just saying that it would be nice to see more games that feature more story behind the sword itself. I think they should go back to how it was in older zelda games where the most powerful sword in the game was optional. This makes the game more challenging than just handing you the best sword in the game.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

They could offer more things such as how the sword itself can send the user forward and backwards in time and just what exactly makes it so effective against evil. Silly little things like that I think would be nice to know. The sword itself just deserves more history to be told about it seeing as how it is the series signature weapon.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 am
Profile WWW

Vault Dweller

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

I'm not so sure I necessarily agree, but at the same time, I'm not sure if I have a counter argument either. The main thing, I think, is that even if it goes dormant (and that's important to keep in mind: even if it goes to sleep and needs to be 'recharged,' so to speak, it doesn't dull and the like) it still has magical properties to it. Even if you took the power to seal evil away, it still has Fi's spirit in it. I'm sure that has to count for something...what that is, I dunno, but yeah.

The question of if it can be broken is interesting, though, because if the sword in Oracle of Seasons is the Master Sword (and the characters just aren't mistaken), then that would seem to confirm your idea. Then again, it seems a bit weird some random Zora would have their hands on it when we know that no one but the Goddesses' Chosen Hero seemingly can get it out of the pedestal. So who knows?

Last edited by Nevermore on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 am

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I wouldn't say that Fi protects the sword, she was merely just there as a helper for the goddesses chosen hero also known as Link. Fi probably wont ever appear again unless there is a prequel to Skyward Sword. Fi's fate at the end of Skyward Sword was made pretty clear that she wouldn't appear again and has entered an endless sleep.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:18 pm
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

There are games where the sword loses its power to repel evil such as the Wind Waker. It needs to be blessed by zelda in Skyward Sword in order for it to take on its true form. I am saying that the sword needs to be blessed and can lose those blessings over time.

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Power of the Master Sword
Unfortunately no. The closest thing to a life force is Fi, and even with her, the sword still lost its power.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next