View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Mirror of Twilight: How it Works (All Theory) 

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

Post The Mirror of Twilight: How it Works (All Theory)
Hi everyone, haven’t posted much here so I thought I’d post something significant (to me anyway). Almost a year ago I played through Twilight Princess for probably the 238th time since I first received it for Christmas in 2006. During that play through I found myself in the Arbiter Grounds looking at the Mirror of Twilight, knowing its fate at the end of the game and that there was nothing that could be done to stop it. That the portal between realms would close and I would lose my comrade, Midna. (Unless of course Nintendo decided to listen to the cries of the WMB movement) It was then I began looking from the mirror to the portal, to the spinning rings, to the glowing return pad in the Twilight realm. I remember wondering just how it all worked; yes it is a strange thing to wonder but the human mind tends to make us question the bizarre sometimes.

Anyways, my questioning led me to watch the mirrors activation on YouTube many times. It also led me to the Mirror Chamber on the game where I would send Link back and forth through the realms trying to dissect just how it all worked. This questioning led to a long time of notes, diagrams, and trips to Google looking up Spherical aberration and Fresnel lenses.

I’ve compiled many of my notes and organized some of the information so that I might share them with you here, though I’m still trying to understand the mirror more, I have an overview on how it works. I expect that there are some holes in this theory, holes I’ll try to fill as time goes on.

For starters let me give you an overview of everything. The Light realm and the Twilight realm are separated by an inter-dimensional barrier (The barrier between realms). The mirror acted as an energy projector, rotating and concentrating its energy into a certain point until penetrating through the dimensional barrier separating the Light and Twilight realms. This is why you can't just stroll right into the Twilight realm with your morning paper and cup of coffee; instead you are broken down so you can ride the mirror’s energy through the hole in the dimensional barrier. Link rematerializes in the Twilight realm because he was broken down so he could ride the energy spiral through the hole the mirror made in the barrier. To return to the Light realm from the Twilight, Link is hitching another ride on the circular energy flow between the two realms only this time from the other side of the energy loop.

Before I go into too much detail let me first explain that the mirror is indeed the ‘key’ into the Twilight realm, but it is not the door. The door, even after the mirror’s destruction by Midna, remains intact. The door is, in fact, the giant black stone tablet the mirror projects onto (The Portal Stone as I’ve seen it referred to in some places). When the mirror projects its energy onto the stone notice how the stone reacts with it. The entire stone starts to glow with many runes before the mirror’s image begins to rotate inward into a spiral. This helps to theorize that the mirror projects the energy to burn through the inter-dimensional barrier between the Light and Twilight realm and that the stone acts as the guide (the GPS) guiding the energy to which dimensional barrier to penetrate. Otherwise the mirror’s energy would just be blasting into a rock, and without the mirror’s energy being able to return to it, the mirror would lose its power in a matter of moments.

Why are there 4 spinning rings? When the energy is projected, notice the mirrors image on the stone begins to rotate slightly after the stone itself activates? Also notice when looking directly at the mirror itself that the rings get smaller than the previous one before it. This is because the energy it takes to penetrate the inter-dimensional barrier must be great, so when the mirror projects its energy the energy follows the rings. As the rings become smaller the projected energy becomes more and more concentrated until it reaches a point of such high concentration that it literally burns through the barrier between realms. This energy concentration process can be supported by the fact the portal itself has the appearance of a cone, and once the energy passes into the twilight the energy cones back out.

Now if all this energy is entering into another realm then just how does it know to turn around and come back you might ask? Well, that’s because there is something catching it and throwing it back from the Twilight realm’s end. Next time you play Twilight Princess and pass through the mirror’s portal into the Twilight, look down and tell me what you see. You’ll see an image that greatly resembles the mirror itself, minus two rings. The only rings on this ‘return pad’ are the ones without the Hylian runes, take into account that the rings without the runes are spinning in the opposite direction as the ones with the runes in the portal. This led me to believe that once the energy from the mirror passed through into the Twilight, this return pad redirected the energy back. The redirected energy rode the rune-less rings back through the hole in the barrier between the realms and recycled through the mirror and then projected once more, creating a sustaining circle of energy that keeps the inter-dimensional hole in place and the way to the Twilight realm open. So the two sets of rings are spinning in different directions because each set is guiding the mirror’s energy in a different direction. The rings with the runes guide the energy to the Twilight realm; the rings without the runes send the energy back through the spiral into the light realm back to the mirror.

When the mirror is switched off (still unclear on how this is done) the mirror stops projecting energy. Once the last of the energy the mirror projected before getting switched off passes back from the Twilight Realm, the rings stop spinning since there’s no more energy flowing through them. Thus the portal collapses, the Portal Stone deactivates, and once the last of the energy returns to the mirror the mirror goes dormant.

Go to this video on YouTube and skip to 5:30.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRYjgN7SSm0

At 5:38 the mirror projects its energy onto the stone.

5:44-5:47 the stone reacts to the energy and guides it, the energy begins to spiral and concentrate down

5:48 the inter-dimensional barrier has been penetrated and the circle of energy from the Light realm to the Twilight realm and back to the Light realm has been completed, allowing any living thing to be broken down and sent through the hole in the barrier.

5:55-6:00 the mirror stops projecting energy, the portal collapses, the Portal Stone deactivates, and the mirror goes dormant once more.

Like I said, there’s still holes I’m trying solve, understanding the mirror is quite a task, but I hope this sheds some light on anyone who wondered just how the Mirror of Twilight worked. Yay for pointless knowledge! If I left anything out that you have a question on, feel free to ask.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 am

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: The Mirror of Twilight: How it Works (All Theory)
...whoa, this is a lot of information. Or maybe it's just a lot of text. Either way, it'll take me time to understand all of this.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

It'd be easier to give you a visual...however I know not how to animate anything D': . Think of the mirror's energy rotating in a controlled spiral and being concentrated on the barrier between realms until the force breaks through. The pad you land on in the Twilight Realm serves to redirect the flow of the mirror's energy back through the hole in the realm barrier back to the Light and back through the mirror.

The spinning rings are what the energy follows, the rings get smaller because the energy following it is being concentrated to penetrate the realm barrier.

Link is broken down to ride the flow of energy that passes through the realms, this is why he cannot just stroll into the the other realm.

Like I said, it's hard to explain this without a visual demonstration. :(

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:44 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Don't worry. I'm very good at visualizing things, and I can see what you mean.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:59 pm

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

It's all just theory...but it sparked my interest to know how it worked.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]