View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How similar are Hyrule and the Twilight Realm? 

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Post How similar are Hyrule and the Twilight Realm?
I'm calling on the deepest reaches of your imagination here, guys.

In Twilight Princess, we are given an expansive view of the lands of Hyrule, but despite that, we know so little about it. Politics, for example. Think about your reasons for why Zelda is Princess Zelda, and not Queen Zelda. And then, consider that we know probably just as much about the Twilight Realm. Sure, we haven't seen as much, but it's mentioned quite a lot... And besides, Midna is 'Princess', also.

So, what differences, other than the amount of light, aesthetic of the peoples, and style of building do you think exist between Hyrule and the Twilight Realm?

For example, here's quite a far fetched one; I think the flow of time would be different between the two realms, and if not the flow, the measurement. In the Twilight, the sky is forever dusk, there's no day or night, so their time can't be measured in days. If they did have a measurement such as a minute or an hour, I don't think it would be the same as a Hylian minute or hour, because I somehow doubt that the Interlopers managed to take a clock with them in their banishment...

Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:53 pm

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: How similar are Hyrule and the Twilight Realm?
The geography of the Twilight Realm seems to be different from that of Hyrule. In the time we spend there, the location looked nothing like anything from Hyrule. It's true that we never saw much of the Twilight Realm, but this shape of land bears no resemblance to that of Hyrule.

Also, I feel as though this topic is better off in the Zelda Theory sub-forum.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 am

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Actually, I personally think that the Twilight Realm resembles more of the sacred realm than Hyrule. One of the official artworks of the Sacred Realm from A Link to the Past shares a resemblance to the Twilight Realm from Twilight Princess. Just look at the image below. Floating islands, and an interesting orange glow in the sky. It can be assumed that the Twili modeled the Twilight Realm after the sacred realm because they never managed to successfully invade and take it over.

Spoiler HTML code

Sacred Realm

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 am
Profile WWW

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
Also, I feel as though this topic is better off in the Zelda Theory sub-forum.

Sorry, I was planning to ask what changes you though Midna found hardest to adjust to when going to Hyrule or returning to the Twilight Realm after the adventure, but never really got around to saying that... And even so, it's probably better suited there, isn't it? Thanks for pointing that out - I didn't quite decide what to write until long after deciding on which board DX

Anyway, Moved!

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 am

Sonic's Midna: the Ultimate Life Form

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

I think one obvious difference between the Light World and the Twilight Realm, is that in the Light World, everyone dresses in a standard European fashion, while in the Twilight Realm, people dress in a more Arabian-esque style. Nintendo even said so themselves in Hyrule Historia during the concept art for Midna in her true form.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:14 am

The Corvid Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

That's a good question. I have always wondered what the Twilight realm would be like beyond what was shown in the game, especially the wildlife (I love biology). Considering the enemies in the Twilight Palace, I would imagine that the creatures, plant life, etc. evolved from light counterparts just like the Twili themselves. This would mean they would be somewhat similar. There is the possibility though that Zant brought these creatures to the Twilight realm and they were subsequently changed.

What are your thoughts?

Curiosus quasi Corvus

korppi8 x ravens/crows forever!!!!

EVERYTHING IS MORE EPIC IN CAPS!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:47 am
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

korppi8 wrote:
I would imagine that the creatures, plant life, etc. evolved from light counterparts just like the Twili themselves. This would mean they would be somewhat similar. There is the possibility though that Zant brought these creatures to the Twilight realm and they were subsequently changed.

Huh. I never did think about the enemies there. From what can be gathered from cutscenes at Kakariko Village, the Twilit Messengers are just people transformed by, I'm guessing Ganondorf's power mixed with that of the Twilight.(I'm just making this up right now) As for the enemies like Twilit Kargaroks, Vermin and Keese...I don't know if their natural state is like that or if Zant did the same thing to them and they looked different than normal.

After some thinking, I would probably say that is their innate form, because thinking back to Twilit Bulblin, I'm assuming that that's what they look like only when they're affected by the Twilight. If that were the case, then the other monsters wouldn't be affected at all, and the enemies in the Twilight Realm might very well be just like those in the Light World, simply changed by the Twilight's effect.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:58 am

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

FEZeldalord12345 wrote:
As for the enemies like Twilit Kargaroks, Vermin and Keese...I don't know if their natural state is like that or if Zant did the same thing to them and they looked different than normal.

When returning the Sols to the front of the Palace of Twilight, the Twili standing around change from looking almost-shadow-beast to their normal Twili selves, but the creatures/enemies inside the Palace do not. I think that's indication that they are how they normally are.

That being said, what's the likelihood of creatures from the Light World ending up in the Twilight Realm? After all, the only thing that is mentioned in game to be sent into the Twilight is 1, the Dark Interlopers, and 2, Ganondorf. At Goddesses/Sages will. Why would they send wildlife there too? Unless the Twilight Realm was originally created as a mirror world, of course, I see no feasible reason the creatures would be evolved forms of the light world creatures like the Twili are.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:04 am

The Corvid Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

That is true. They very well could be creatures that lived in the Twilight realm to begin with. There would be very little reason for anyone to send creatures to the Twilight realm. Perhaps the reason that they look similar to enemies in Hyrule was because of convergent evolution? Perhaps even the goddesses fashioned the Twili creatures after Hyrule's creatures if the Twilight realm was made after the Light world.

Another burning question I have had is what the Twili do to sustain themselves. There isn't much in the game that suggests anything about their lifestyle let alone much on their culture. I mean, what do they eat? Are there plants? Do they even need to eat? etc. I would assume that there is much more diverse places than the Twilight palace where they could gain sustenance and resources (ex. where their clothes come from), maybe something natural rather than something built by the Twili. For example, Hyrule has forests, desert, Lake Hylia, mountaintops, a volcano, and a river system. All we know of the Twilight realm is the palace. Its hard to say what the Twilight realm really looks like considering only the palace is shown in the game. I would imagine ecosystems that could deal with the low light of the Twilight realm.

Curiosus quasi Corvus

korppi8 x ravens/crows forever!!!!

EVERYTHING IS MORE EPIC IN CAPS!

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:03 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

korppi8 wrote:
Another burning question I have had is what the Twili do to sustain themselves. There isn't much in the game that suggests anything about their lifestyle let alone much on their culture. I mean, what do they eat? Are there plants? Do they even need to eat? etc.

Hmm. You're right in saying that they don't eat. And you know who else we never saw eat? Link. That confirms it: Link is a Twili and can be in the Twilight Realm with Midna and they live happily ever after. :P

But in all seriousness, I don't know how much Twilight would affect beings to the point in which they no longer have to eat. In fact, thinking about this actually made me think of another point: how exactly were the Twili warped into what they were? If memory serves me correctly, the most we get is the exposure to the Twilight, but if that's the case, then why did the Hylians only turn into souls? All I can think of is that when the Interlopers were sent to the Twilight Realm they started out the same way, but the long exposure to the Twilight transformed their souls as well and they manifested into physical forms. With that transformation would be a body that works completely differently, but still has some reminiscence of their previous form.(their human-like shape)

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next