View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Zelda Games 

A person to talk to or tell any of your ideas to.

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Don't really know where to put this, but here I go. I have a little theory about the upcoming Zelda games. With Zelda Wii U, it almost has the same graphic design of our favorite Zelda game. So I think that there might just be some bits of twilight here and there. Now onto the thing that's been killing me, the 3ds version of The Legend of Zelda. I've been thinking that the majoras mask remake might actually be the 3ds game that Nintendo has been promising us. I have also been thinking about all the console and handheld Zelda games. Hyrule Warriors was a Wii U game =O. Nintendo has promised us a "Open World" Zelda game on the Wii U. That's two for the Wii U. On the 3ds, there has been the majoras mask remake and a new 3ds Zelda game on the 3ds. That's two for 3ds. Nintendo has also been trying to make a new Zelda TV show. (Please be more animated then the last and not have link talk. Please Nintendo. Please.) I'm thinking that Nintendo has been making up for making us wait years for the "Open World" game that we deserve. I'm afraid that Nintendo might be taking on more than they can handle.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 am
Profile WWW

Eternally Damned

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

Ugh... I have to say this. Nintendo is a dying company. Their marketing decisions are terrible. They never release games on the date that they're supposed to be released. Unless people are fanatics, (I know, I know... but I still don't own a Wii U) generally nobody over like 10 years old is going to buy the new Nintendo console... for the main reason that the Xbox 360 came out around 2005, and it STILL has way better graphics and processing speed than the Wii U. I'm not trying to hate here, they're still selling, but in the gaming industry of today competition is very high, and Nintendo needs to step it up if they don't want to lose their shirts. Really, the only thing that's keeping them alive is LoZ and Mario. And so far, even with those great series they haven't made anything new, just remakes of older ideas. I mean, Nintendo... at LEAST give me Midna again if you're going to keep re-making games from the past instead of making new games.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

ilvl 684 Neckbeard

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

I haven't followed Nintendo news too intently so I don't know it as well as I should but from what I can tell they almost NEVER listen to their fans when it comes to game features. Not to mention the fact that they have really sloppy release schedules as Ralkia said.

The only thing keeping them in this is their diehard loyal fans who play most every game they'll release. Also console gaming I feel is dying off since PC is quite better ina lot of regards. The only thing keeping people away from PC's was exclusives and not having a powerful enough system to play games. Exclusives are becoming rarer and rarer and good rigs are easier to get now than ever.

Flames are similar to life. Starts out blooming and invigorated, then inevitably ends up as just a charred husk

Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:42 pm

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

I disagree with both Ralkia and Eclipse here. Nintendo isn't dying, they fill a different niche.

Here's the thing with Sony and Microsoft. Their consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, which people are realizing. PC gaming is becoming more prominent and is filling the niche that Sony and Microsoft are starting to drain themselves into. Sony and Microsoft are also huge DLC-whores, which people have a ton of complaints about. That's something that Nintendo - while they are doing DLCs more often now - are still much better about than those other two major companies. Sony and Microsoft are still afloat in the gaming market because they sell 3rd party games, which Nintendo has avoided until very recently.

Yes, Nintendo's hardware is less up-to-date as Sony and Microsoft's, but their systems are also significantly more affordable, and on top of that, Nintendo hasn't forgotten the point of consoles. Nintendo continues to make family-friendly and multiplayer-encouraging games that are designed to be enjoyed together with people in your same vicinity. Most of the Playstation and XBox games have limited multiplayer, and when they do, they're typically limited to online multiplayer only, which you can do with a PC. In fact, most of their 3rd party games are also available for PC, which is not the case with pretty much any of Nintendo's games.

Additionally, Nintendo has a really excellent hold on the handheld console market. The Vita is basically nonexistent and virtually pointless, whereas Nintendo has had consistent success in the handheld market. Arguably it's keeping them "afloat" by balancing out their admittedly recent marketing derp-outs. The only thing that puts Nintendo's handheld market in any sort of peril is the increasing power in the phone market. Increasingly more demanding games are being able to be played on smartphones. You know what Nintendo's response was?

Bring Nintendo games to smartphones. They have a cushion that way while they continue to do their things. They're adapting to the market, which Sony and Microsoft have not really done, since they're just going back to what they've been doing forever - computers, or computer-like systems.

Nintendo has in their possession some of the most successful franchises of all time. Pokemon, LoZ, and Mario being the big 3, and Super Smash Bros being the lovechild of their successes, and now one of the things keeping them ahead. Whether or not you complain that they are only doing remakes in recent times, or spinoffs of their current successful games, in reality, many of the Playstation/XBox games - even if not just a ton of sequels - tend to either be games that are better for PC, or are games that play very similarly to each other. (again, I reference the lack of local multiplayer encouragement from PS and XBox). Nintendo is continuing to expand on what they know they can rely on - their big franchises.

Nintendo also follows a different niche, as I mentioned earlier. By encouraging family-friendly local gameplay, they are the only ones truly making "gaming consoles" nowadays. They aren't a dying company, they are an adapting company that have made the intelligent decision of making sure they keep hold of the family market, without forgetting about their loyal fans in the markets of their popular franchises.

By the way, I don't think Nintendo completely ignores their fans, Eclipse.

Nintendo is bringing back Mewtwo for Smash Bros, Midna is in Hyrule Warriors (a game that was a "loveletter" to Zelda and basically designed for the fanbase), they remade Majora's Mask and corrected the things people complained about with it (as far as I know, anyway), they haven't completely sold out to the DLC market which they know people are pissed about (all of the DLCs in Monster Hunter are free, and DLCs in many other games are extremely cheap by comparison), and while, it's true, there have been places where Nintendo has said that fans don't necessarily influence their decisions, remember that Nintendo is a business.

Sony and Microsoft don't listen either unless they realize they're going to get screwed on sales, and both of those companies are in more precarious circumstances in the gaming market specifically because the only thing keeping them chugging are their PC endeavors and the fact that they have a million and a half 3rd party games to help them out. Sony and Microsoft aren't hurting, but they're certainly not what the console market should be.

Also 3rd partiers don't always listen, either. Valve can't count to three.

Nintendo has said that fan petitions don't necessarily equal sales. That's an unfortunate reality. Nintendo isn't likely going to do anything that will potentially lose them money, but they are also aware of fan trends that *will* (Smash bros, Mewtwo, etc etc). It's ultimately a business decision. And I personally don't think Nintendo has been making poor business decisions. (A lot of people do, but for the huge essay of reasons I wrote above, I disagree.)

Nintendo has made some poor marketing decisions, which are, by extension, bad business decisions, ok, granted. Release delays happen with any company. Their hugely poor marketing decisions with the Wii U also didn't help them out, because a lot of people think the Wii U isn't great because of how poorly it did in sales. (This people attribute to the lack of good games upon its release and the fact that a bunch of people didn't even know it was a thing for a while due to poor marketing decisions). But none of these decisions have put Nintendo in such peril that they are a "dying" company. As said, they're the only ones that remember what the point of a console is.

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

ilvl 684 Neckbeard

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

I agree in that Xbones and PS's are getting more flak than Nintendo's consoles are because how much easier it is to access a gaming PC or at least one with enough power to play a game and look decent. Not to mention, as I said earlier, the exclusives are becoming less prominent for those and almost all the games that a lot of console gamers play (as stereotypical as it is call of duty comes to mind) are either on PC or have better versions that are PC exclusive like Counterstrike.

Nintendo's only real leg that it's standing on is exclusives like the famous franchises that Ralkia mentioned and a few others. Their innovative gameplay designs are nice touches but honestly not really enough to compensate for the more powerful graphics, smoother framerates, and money you could save on a PC. Not to mention maintenance is a lot easier to perform on a PC compared to a console where you have to either ship it in to the company to get it fixed or a buy a new controller or whatever altogether.

I'm not sure if my opinion is biased or what since I'm such a passionate PC gamer but from my PoV it appears that all consoles are dying, but as you said Nintendo isn't dying anywhere near as quickly as PS's and xbone's.

Flames are similar to life. Starts out blooming and invigorated, then inevitably ends up as just a charred husk

Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:18 pm

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

I'm with Spooky on this, and I've intensively studied gaming companies and businesses throughout history. Nintendo have been the company that have evolved gaming time and time again, with making a big leap into 3D and open world, adding motion controls, etc. People constantly look down on Nintendo as the little kid of the industry, but they're not. They're really the successful older brother who has a soft spot for children...

Playing games on a PC is not a family friendly way to go. Consoles still have a place in the family home, although I'll admit it's more for multiplayer accessibility rather than single player - that's exactly what the 'family' market is about. And Nintendo has that on lock. Say you have kids, ages 4 and 6. You don't really want to give them a PC, because you can do anything on a PC, they might go yomping off to some site and download a half ton of viruses. And I don't think you'd want to buy them an Xbox or PS, because... well, to be honest, I've only seen one game aimed at children on either of those consoles. So, Nintendo is the way to go in that regard.

On top of being good for kids, the Wii introduced a new way to play with motion controls, which made it accessible for older people, too. People who are losing their motor skills to old age. So, that's kids and grandparents sorted. It's also a good gate-way for casual gamers. If someone has only ever played the odd mobile game in their life, maybe a touch of sims here and there... Most of the games Nintendo release are easy enough to grasp for them to join in, too.

Nintendo isn't a dying company as many think. They may not be doing too great as of late, but they have plenty enough money in the bank to last them a good long time yet. Their console isn't quite up to par, maybe, but it doesn't need to be. It has family accessibility, low cost and an entirely different market of games on its side. On top of that, ever since they branched out to handheld consoles with the original Game Boy in '89, they have owned it. Ever heard of the Pandora? The Dingoo? The Gizmondo? They're all handhelds that have been effectively thrashed by Nintendo...

Might I also add, the release of the Famicom in '85 was a huge hand in pulling the industry out of the Great Crash of '83, and single-handedly transferred the power over the market from N. America to Japan?

...Hm, I feel like I've diverted this more into a history lesson. Anyhow;

I suspect that within two or three generations of gaming, Microsoft and Sony will retreat back into computers. Their consoles are so damn close, as it is. Nintendo, on the other hand, since gen 7's Wii, have been diverting into pure consoles. The Wii U has capabilities that simply aren't widespread across the computer market, and wont be for a good while. And then, developers need to start making games for these developments... So in truth, Nintendo is a good two steps ahead, at least. The reason you think Nintendo is dying or failing is because you believe all gaming should move along with PC gaming, which isn't so. Gaming is probably the biggest market there is at the moment, catering to approximately 80% of the population of first world countries. With that many people, there are going to be huge differences in preference and opinion. Nintendo just isn't catering to the loudest one.

I personally consider myself through and through a Nintendo gal, because other games don't really do it for me. I'm not a fan of shooters, and besides, to me, all shooter games are clones of clones. I get motion sickness from first person games, so that rules out a good chunk. RPGs... I'm a fan, but I only really go for fantasy, sword and sorcery type settings. Zelda is my staple game. Mario's fun. Pokémon is a good game to obsess over when I have some time on my hands. When I was a kid, I only strayed from Nintendo for two things; Spyro, which I consider dead because I can't stand Skylanders, and to play Soul Caliber with my brother. Have I ever played Soul Caliber by myself? Not a moment of it. I only played it because it was with another player. Now, I do branch a little. I use the PS3 for NieR and Drakengard 3, and I'm trying (admittedly, so far failing) to get into Final Fantasy. I play a lot of Minecraft on my computer.

Honestly... I'd prefer to keep my gaming and my computer separate. I like having a console. I like using the big screen of the TV to play a game. Mostly because people see it, watch for a bit, and then they can either join in or watch me play, making it more of a social activity.

TL;DR, Nintendo is appealing to what I'd call the offline multiplayer market, which includes families, and, well, myself. They have made a few moves recently that haven't served them too well, but as a business they aren't doing badly. And I think delaying Zelda U will do them good... Better to wait for a good game then to be handed a rushed thing you'll never touch twice.

Nintendo's problem at the moment is that they keep trying to lead into the next generation and releasing without enough titles. Leading isn't going to get you more good reputation and sales than a horde of awesome release games... And I hope they sort that with this 9th gen 'NX' thing.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]