View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:35 am



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Isn't it About Time? 
Author Message


Post Isn't it About Time?
Come on. It's time. Just let the site finally die. All good things must come to an end.

This place has become a spavined relic. It's the 9th season of Scrubs. Halo Wars. Legend of Zelda II. Star Wars prequels. Matrix sequels.

It's a site that was once awesome and flowing with life and people dedicated to a cause. It transformed from a forum post that transcended a total forum shutdown, and went on to become its own entity. Projects were started, and finished (even if small) and ideas were discussed.

New members dropped by now and then. Friendships were made, some would end. And the idea that it was OK to befriend someone only to have them vanish in a few months wasn't necessarily bad in the scheme of things. Some of us grew up together; watched each other finish high school, finish college. All the while intertwining our lives with the desire to get Midna back.

But soon that flame of passion to get a beloved character back died down. And no one really noticed, you see, because in place of a fiery movement was the warmth of friendship and community. (Mostly in the chatroom.) It wasn't about getting a character back; it was about US. It was about the hilarity that constantly went on in chat. We learned Aqua was a guy, we watched Emkay be a whiny fuck. We had new users come in only to be driven off by all of us because they had the audacity to be retarded in our presence.

Soon we all had each other on FaceBook, Skype, MSN, or Steam. We began to disperse into these places more, until the realization came that WMB was no longer worth paying for, not because it was a dead cause, but because interest simply faded in regards to the actual site/forums, and we recognized that.

When the time came to determine WMB's fate, it was more or less agreed that it would become a subforum within MFF, so at least people wanting to continue the movement could do so, and MFFers would have a chance to join in as well. Rare Addict decided that he would single handedly pay for the site's continued existence, and try to revive it. While we didn't agree with this per se, it was his cash, so why not.

And while I, and others, have given him a ton of shit for doing that, it really wasn't bad at the time. Reviving it was a perfectly fine idea. Unfortunately it has very obviously not been enough.

From what I've seen, few, if any, new projects have been started, and even less projects have been completed. The number of shit accounts (see: lurkers) is as high as ever. The most users online was 108 sometime in January 2014; if this was due to anything but a bot invasion, I'd honestly be fucking shocked.

This decline into filth isn't any one person's fault. It's not really on any group either. There simply isn't enough new people coming in and staying for the long haul to actually make progress on anything. WMB is like a giant palace that only two people live in; it's a waste of time, money, and space. The few people who want to continue contributing to the movement can continue to do so. This site is definitely not the only means of communication on the internet. In fact it probably breeds more laziness (in regards to its mission) because of all the totally unrelated boards.

Past that, the chatroom will still be there for current users to use to, well, chat. And I'd wager that a majority of reasons for even visiting the forums are because of that anyway.


In summation:

The site was great. Then it faded. The revival has failed. Don't feel bad about this. Learn to let go. For the love of God just let the rest of us have a bit of fucking closure.


Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:50 am

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

User avatar

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 1492
Location: UK
Age: 22
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
Dratheus wrote:
The site was great. Then it faded. The revival has failed. Don't feel bad about this. Learn to let go. For the love of God just let the rest of us have a bit of fucking closure.

I personally see absolutely no reason why this place needs to die for you to have closure. You're not even the first person I've seen coming on and saying this. You outgrew the site, good for you. I know exactly what it's like. But I never went back to all the sites I outgrew and told them it had to die for me to move on. I had my closure when I left and never returned, so why can't you? Are you so offended by the fact this place still exists?

While I certainly do agree it's not as active here as it once was, it's like a new generation of WMBers are hanging around now. Not everyone played the game when it was released, y'know, and for some of the members here still have that fire burning, so to speak. And I don't think it's your place to snuff it out. They're the people Rare's keeping the site alive for. Where do you draw the line for how many people you keep the site alive for? Or, more to the point, why should he kill the site for you, as opposed to keep it alive for these guys?

The way I see it you guys have basically no say in what happens to the place because you don't visit any more. You've moved on to other things, and that's fair enough. But I think it's rather rude that you feel the need to come back an tell us that our site should die just because you've given up on it. Let Rare decide that.

This site isn't so much focused on the movement any more. It's more about being a close-knit community with the rest of the active members. You've changed, the site's changed, what a wonderful combination.

So I ask you, why don't you just let it go?

_________________
~ ❂ Image ❂ ~


Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 pm
Profile


Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
LightWorldMidna wrote:
I personally see absolutely no reason why this place needs to die for you to have closure.



So it was late last night and I spoke somewhat incorrectly.

What I meant to say was that the site is already dead, and current goings-on would be classified as sexual abuse of a corpse.


Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:16 pm

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

User avatar

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 1492
Location: UK
Age: 22
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
Dratheus wrote:
What I meant to say was that the site is already dead, and current goings-on would be classified as sexual abuse of a corpse.

I'm guessing you classify this site as dead because it no longer has any use to you, but to the more recent members it does. Just because it's not serving its original purpose and not to as many people doesn't mean it is dead.

I personally resent you referring to our use of this site as Necrophilia. We don't consider this site dead, end of story. And if we don't consider it dead, we'll fight for it to stay, and honestly, you have very little to no say in the matter, since, well, it's not really your site any more, is it? Since you hate it so much and it is essentially dead to you.

Not to sound rude, but I cannot fathom why you feel the need to come and tell us to kill the site.

_________________
~ ❂ Image ❂ ~


Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:23 pm
Profile

Tyranny with a Smile!

User avatar

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:38 pm
Posts: 349
Location: My diabolical lair in Soviet Russia, 500 miles below the Earth's crust.
Age: 21
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
I agree with LWM. This place will either pass away or come back to life in it's own due time. The best we can do is have hope, and keep trying. As for me, I just joined last month so I haven't been on here for very long. Still, a man can have one last dream, can't he? And even if we don't bring her back in the end, I will be comforted by the fact that there were others who cared as well.

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:23 pm
Profile

Kawaii incarnate

User avatar

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

Image

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 pm
Posts: 567
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 21
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
Also agree with LWM. I'm not the best speaker/writer, but this is just nonsense. Why would you try to shut down a place YOU don't care about anymore..? It isn't about you, this is about us. This place isn't as alive as it once was but this doesn't mean you can consider it dead. There're still people willing to fight for this place and the whole initiative, let us do just that, we either succeed or fail, atleast we then did everything we could to make this all happen.

_________________
Image

Countless choices define our fate, for the future is never truly set.

Cheers.


Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:14 pm
Profile

User avatar

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Image

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:51 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Bavaria
Age: 29
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
Dratheus wrote:
The site was great. Then it faded. The revival has failed. Don't feel bad about this. Learn to let go. For the love of God just let the rest of us have a bit of fucking closure.
Seriously: if you don't care at all about the site anymore then just leave and find your "peace" somewhere else. No one of us is forcing you to stay here if you don't want to. But you can't really tell us what to do and what to believe.

In my eyes the movement hasn't failed at all. Of course, i've not been a member for a very long time yet, but this only shows that there are still new people joining who believe in the basic idea of WMB. There might be much less activity than it had been some years ago, but the mere fact that there are people who still care about Midna's return even 8 years after the game's release already sends out a clear message.

Anyway from what Nintendo are currently doing it seems more than ever before that they actually consider creating a sequel/prequel/whatever to Twilight Princess. Maybe they had even be planning to do this right after the first game and just didn't show it to us to see how the overall Midna fanbase will develop. The fact the Midna is different from other Zelda characters by such big deal gives me the strong impression that this had been some kind of experiment. And the fact that there are still so many people out there who produce fan art of any kind or simply admit they liked Midna better than other characters and want her back in another game on youtube and other sites shows that the experiment had been a success and Nintendo would throw away a great potential for, yeah, making money if nothing else. So i see absolutely no reason to give up hope now.

p.s.: If WMB would be closed now, where should i post my fan fiction once it's finished? :twisted:

_________________
Image


Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 pm
Profile


Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
Quote:
I'm guessing you classify this site as dead because it no longer has any use to you, but to the more recent members it does. Just because it's not serving its original purpose and not to as many people doesn't mean it is dead.


Well, if it's not serving its original purpose, then perhaps it's new purpose would be best hosted elsewhere?

Quote:
I personally resent you referring to our use of this site as Necrophilia. We don't consider this site dead, end of story. And if we don't consider it dead, we'll fight for it to stay, and honestly, you have very little to no say in the matter, since, well, it's not really your site any more, is it? Since you hate it so much and it is essentially dead to you.


You may not think the site is dead, but I've seen some members refer to the site as dead. Why do we have very little to say in the matter? We're still members here just like you and everyone else. We may not peruse the forum anymore, but we've done our part long enough to have a considerable say in how the site is run.

notterribleivan wrote:
Also agree with LWM. I'm not the best speaker/writer, but this is just nonsense. Why would you try to shut down a place YOU don't care about anymore..? It isn't about you, this is about us. This place isn't as alive as it once was but this doesn't mean you can consider it dead. There're still people willing to fight for this place and the whole initiative, let us do just that, we either succeed or fail, atleast we then did everything we could to make this all happen.


He's not the only person who wants closure in this manner. Every past member discussed the possible courses of action for the site a few years ago and concluded that when the next bill at the time came, we wouldn't pay it and let the site die. Everyone agreed to this at the time. Yes, it is dead. The purpose of WMB from the very beginning was to compose writing, drawing, and music projects that expressed our emotion towards Midna that could potentially convince Nintendo that she was a meaningful character enough to be in another Zelda game. This place wasn't founded on fucking forum games and general discussion which is where the bulk of the posts are from what I'm seeing. You can do that on any forum.

Project Alice wrote:
Dratheus wrote:
The site was great. Then it faded. The revival has failed. Don't feel bad about this. Learn to let go. For the love of God just let the rest of us have a bit of fucking closure.
Seriously: if you don't care at all about the site anymore then just leave and find your "peace" somewhere else. No one of us is forcing you to stay here if you don't want to. But you can't really tell us what to do and what to believe.


You're right, we don't have to be here. I'm here because Dratheus mentioned WMB to me recently and I felt concerned enough to give my two cents. For some of us, WMB was our very first internet community. We were always close knit at the time and had a strong attachment. Is it wrong that we want closure on website that shared our best internet-related memories?

Quote:
In my eyes the movement hasn't failed at all. Of course, i've not been a member for a very long time yet, but this only shows that there are still new people joining who believe in the basic idea of WMB. There might be much less activity than it had been some years ago, but the mere fact that there are people who still care about Midna's return even 8 years after the game's release already sends out a clear message.


Yes, there will always be a fan of something, and I totally respect that people still want Midna in another Zelda. I kind of want that too. But the problem here is that no one is doing anything about it. If MFF was still around, I'd say go there to discuss Midna. WMB was about the initiative not the discussion.

Quote:
p.s.: If WMB would be closed now, where should i post my fan fiction once it's finished? :twisted:


http://fanfiction.net

Let me ask every active member here a question right now. What have you done to justify WMB's existence up to this point?


Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:33 am

The Wonderful LPer

User avatar

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:
Image

Image
Usergroup Bars:
Image
Image

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:02 am
Posts: 6629
Location: I am everywhere and nowhere...
Age: 22
Gender:
Heavy RP Characters: Zeldalord's Minions
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
FreezeFlame wrote:
WMB was about the initiative not the discussion.

Let me ask every active member here a question right now. What have you done to justify WMB's existence up to this point?

Believe me, I really do want to help out with the main project, but due to my life, I can't. I have no methods of helping out in any of the main tasks, and not being able to do anything really hurts. That's why I'm trying to find my own project for getting more members, and if executed perfectly, could surpass the activity this site had back in 2008-10, and would also bring in a variety of people that will be able to contribute to the initiative further. However, I haven't been able to do it due to many problems, and it'll be that way for a few more months. To me, the initiative is not dead; it's on hiatus. Until then, posting on the forums is all that can be done.

_________________
"I am FEZeldalord12345, and that is a mouthful."
To see my current LP, click on the photo in my signature.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345


Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:25 am
Profile

WHERE'S THE MIDNAHOL?!

User avatar

Project Junkie

Project Junkie

Badges:
ImageImageImage
Usergroup Bars:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm
Posts: 1492
Location: UK
Age: 22
Gender:
Post Re: Isn't it About Time?
FreezeFlame wrote:
He's not the only person who wants closure in this manner. Every past member discussed the possible courses of action for the site a few years ago and concluded that when the next bill at the time came, we wouldn't pay it and let the site die. Everyone agreed to this at the time. Yes, it is dead. The purpose of WMB from the very beginning was to compose writing, drawing, and music projects that expressed our emotion towards Midna that could potentially convince Nintendo that she was a meaningful character enough to be in another Zelda game. This place wasn't founded on fucking forum games and general discussion which is where the bulk of the posts are from what I'm seeing. You can do that on any forum.


So, quite simply, it has become like another forum. What's the problem there? It seems to me that you're all just making a fuss because you didn't get what you wanted when the site didn't shut down, you really should've thought about that before you let Rare take over.

FreezeFlame wrote:
You're right, we don't have to be here. I'm here because Dratheus mentioned WMB to me recently and I felt concerned enough to give my two cents. For some of us, WMB was our very first internet community. We were always close knit at the time and had a strong attachment. Is it wrong that we want closure on website that shared our best internet-related memories?


For some of us, WMB is our first internet community. Now, while I personally agree with you that this site isn't dedicated to its original purpose anymore, I don't want it to be shut down just because it isn't what it used to be. What's wrong with us using it as a forum? It is a forum, after all. And to be fair, FEZ is right. The Initiative isn't over, it's simply on a break because there are reasons that every person involved can't do the things they need to do. I could've had some of my best internet memories on, I don't know, Neopets or whatever. But I'm not going to ask them to shut down because I want closure.

FreezeFlame wrote:
Yes, there will always be a fan of something, and I totally respect that people still want Midna in another Zelda. I kind of want that too. But the problem here is that no one is doing anything about it. If MFF was still around, I'd say go there to discuss Midna. WMB was about the initiative not the discussion.


Well, MFF isn't around anymore. So we stay here. Just because WMB is now heavier on the discussion, why is that such a problem?

FreezeFlame wrote:
Let me ask every active member here a question right now. What have you done to justify WMB's existence up to this point?


So, what you're saying is, joining in the discussion and speaking to other members isn't justifying the existence of a forum? You'll have to forgive me if I don't understand what you're saying there. If you're talking about the initiative, I personally have been involved with several projects, which multiple others who are here have weighed in on. If you're saying we're not doing anything anymore, well, you're wrong.

I would offer to discuss moving the site elsewhere with Rare if you're so insistent about this 'closure' thing, but that's a lot of hassle, and for really no gain.

Alternatively I could offer to throw more money at these initiative projects, if that would make you more contented to leave us be.

_________________
~ ❂ Image ❂ ~


Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:16 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.