View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Puda's Tech Support. 

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: Kent, England, Great Britain, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way.
There are probably more competent computer techs than I here, but I thought we ought to have a tech support forum so here it is!

Post your computer troubles here and I shall endeavour to help you, if anyone else knows the solution they can post too.

Feel free to ask questions pertaining to hardware as well as software. I can do hardware, Ubuntu/Linux as well as Windoze and I may be able to help with other software. If I can't solve it I'm sure one of the aforementioned more-competent-than-Is will be able to.

i
Wiggle wiggle wiggle go the tongues of the organs
Licking the face of the man they call old
His hands have seen many an organ.
And his face many a tongue.
I need a rhyme to finish this off.
Or I could be edgy, not rhyme and be bold.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:30 pm

Post Re: Puda's Tech Support.
Hopefully you can cure my computer troubles. A few months ago, my laptop burned out. I'm not entirely sure if the system is shot or what, but the battery source has failed as well as AC power adapter. I'm pretty sure I will have to replace these parts which may be costly, but I am wondering if there is someway I can repair some of the internal circuitry. Are you familiar with a layout of a laptop's motherboard?

Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:04 am

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

It really depends on which laptop you use, some will be more user serviceable than others, if you want to try to fix anything internal, though, it will require a very high degree of competence with soldering, as the components in a laptop are usually all surface mount, that is, they don't have pins that go through holes but rather a pad to which the component is soldered.

If you upload pictures I might be able to help you more, give me externals from different angles and some shots of the mobo, chances are though, you'll have to have it done professionally. You can email them to me if you want.

i

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:40 am

Real Life King Dedede

Graphics Aficionado

Graphics Aficionado

I LIKE this idea.

Okay so, my MSN's been the biggest problem for me, for a while now. Tech-wise anyway. So, whenever I click sign in, it always says this:

"We are sorry but Windows Live Messenger service is unavailable right now. Please try again later." or something, with either the options:

Retry - Close.

Or;

Troubleshoot - Retry - Close.

But that's not the weird part. Whenever I sign in a second time, it works like a charm.

Any reasoning to this?

Pagebreaks ftw, btw.

If you're into Magic: the Gathering, I'm the mastermind behind Tiny Leaders!

Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:35 am
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

@Emkay:
Does it still happen if MSNM (second 'M' for messenger) has been running for a few minutes? It may be trying to find the server still if you try to log in as soon as you open it. Do you have a slow internet connection?

i

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Real Life King Dedede

Graphics Aficionado

Graphics Aficionado

It's actually really fast, my internet, and no, I haven't had it run for five and then try, I'll do that next time.

If you're into Magic: the Gathering, I'm the mastermind behind Tiny Leaders!

Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:51 pm
Profile WWW

Midna's Clergy

Midna's Clergy

I have an extremely small internal HDD and a massive external one....which is extremely disorganized. I am constantly trying to delete stuff on my internal to make room for new programs that HAVE to be on the C Drive. Any tips for going through an cleaning out both off my HDDs?

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:43 am

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Sorry this is belated, details on the goodbye thread.

I actually did this the other day, from what you've called your drive, I'm assuming you're using Windows.

Go to My Computer -> Right click C-drive -> Properties -> Disk Cleanup .

Here there are options for compressing old files, cleaning out unneeded system files along with things like emptying the recycle bin. I recommend modifying the 'compress old files' option to a longer time, I set it to 100 days of disuse. I managed to recover 7GB with this.

Something a bit more creative is to use your search tool (on the start menu) and search in your larger folders (size found with right click -> properties -> wait bloody ages!). Use the small down arrows next to 'When was it modified?' and 'What size is it?' to find old and large files respectively. When doing this, leave the search field blank.

Something to watch, though; always leave approximately 15% of your drive free for the OS to use, otherwise you could run into problems.

Hope this helps!

This has made me think, though, anyone who posts questions here, could you please tell me what operating system you use? Thanks.

i

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

Tech support... I could use some of that right now.

OK, three issues.

1.) In Vista: I cannot connect to any network, nor will any network be detected. Basically, it's as if I don't even have a wifi card. When I hover over the networking taskbar icon, I get a message that says "Dependency service or group failed to start." I ran System File Checker to no avail, and also ran a TCP/IP stack repair, which also had no effect. Any suggestions?

2.) In Ubuntu: I have a little USB audio I/O port (I damaged the internal ports a long time ago). Initially, it worked on just input. Then I did something (I forgot what), and both inputs and outputs work. Then suddenly-as in no correlated hardware or software changes-the output stopped.

3.) If I can't resolve the issue in Vista, I'm switching over to win7. The issue here is that I want to keep my Windows/Ubuntu. How can I install win7 after Ubuntu without GRUB getting written out of the MBR, effectively loosing Ubuntu? Or can I boot from a Linux Live CD and reinstall GRUB from there?

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 am

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Vista Networking problem: Check your device manager to see if the card is visible, if it is, check for resource conflicts and non-working drivers or driver conflicts. If the card is not visible, try a physical inspection (if it is an expansion card) to see that it hasn't become dislodged. "Dependency service or group failed to start." This is a bit vague (Windows!) but it sounds like it may be a daemon is not starting with Windows that should be, check msconfig (use the 'run' entry in the start menu or the start menu search bar) and see that there aren't any 'services' that have been deactivated.

Ubuntu USB audio problem: Try the dongle in other systems to check that it still works. There are terminal commands that will query USB ports but as my Ubuntu machine has been broken for a while I can't actually remember them, sorry :3 . When I get Ubuntu back I'll look into it more.

GRUB: Windows isn't very keen on multiboot, it doesn't even like sharing with another windows OS. But the good news is that you can reinstall GRUB, details here.

Sorry I couldn't help more with the second problem.

i

Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next