View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Computer building help? 

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

For a few months now I have been shopping around for parts and pieces to assemble a new computer. I am close to settling on some pieces that I want, but I've never really done any computer shopping before, so I was wondering if anyone who knows what they're doing could look at the parts and tell me if what I've put together is worth the money.

Operating system is Windows 7, which is already taken care of, as is the monitor, mouse and keyboard, and DVD drive.

In no particular order:

Case: NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case

Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 BX80623I52300 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB L3 Cache, 2.80 GHz

HDD: Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB

RAM: Patriot PGV38G1333ELK G Series Sector 5 Desktop Memory Kit - 8GB (2x 4GB)

Motherboard: MSI P67A-G43 B3 Intel P67 Motherboard

Power Supply: VisionTek 900347 ATX Power Supply - 650W, 135mm Fan, Dual +12V Rails

Graphics: Galaxy 44GGS8HX3VXZ GeForce GT 440 Video Card

Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:37 pm

Post Re: Computer building help?
Wow, you picked out some good quality parts. Intel core i5, Nvidia GeForce GT 440, 8 GB RAM... Are you trying to build a gaming rig? I'll attach a pricing increment guide I found that would be of very good use to you. The only thing in this list that bothers me is the hard drive. I would suggest a Solid State Drive, but those things are really expensive. However, I suggest getting a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black. I don't know the exact price listing, but it's one of the finest hard drives on the market.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1867/g ... ingapc.png

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Web Wizard

Web Wizard

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

This setup looks great. But I think you should get a Nvidia GTS 450

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 pm
Profile WWW

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

FreezeFlame wrote:
Wow, you picked out some good quality parts. Intel core i5, Nvidia GeForce GT 440, 8 GB RAM... Are you trying to build a gaming rig? I'll attach a pricing increment guide I found that would be of very good use to you. The only thing in this list that bothers me is the hard drive. I would suggest a Solid State Drive, but those things are really expensive. However, I suggest getting a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black. I don't know the exact price listing, but it's one of the finest hard drives on the market.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1867/g ... ingapc.png

That was the idea, yes. I've forced my poor Walmart model to do things it really wasn't designed to do, and figure it's time to get a better candidate to subject to my torture. As for the hard drive, I know it isn't the best, but for $50 it's pretty nice, and I'm $200 over what I was originally aiming for as it is. The western digital model is twice as expensive but has the same listed specs and similar reviews (Granted, that isn't always accurate) , and a good sized SSD is simply out of the question.

Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Location: Kent, England, Great Britain, Europe, Earth, Sol, The Milky Way.
A recommendation I'd make is to get a MoBo that supports nVidia SLI as opposed to ATI Crossfire. Since you're doing the wise thing and going nVidia instead of ATI, if you wanted a multi-gpu graphics solution in the future, you'd be able to stick with nVidia and only have to buy one new card.

Also, to shave a few tens of dollars off the price, a normal case may be a good option, as long as you don't want one of those two-foot graphics cards, obviously aesthetics will be a sacrifice, so your choice as to whether they are worth $50 odd.

Also, see if you can't get two 500GB hard drives instead of a single 1TB one, hard drives are capricious beasts, prone to failure, so that way if one dies you'll still have a usable system, and won't lose all your data, just some of it.

Further to that, recommend you to give a 50GB partition over to Win7's install, and image it at the start, then if your primary drive fails you can just repartition the remaining drive and carry on your merry way.

i
Wiggle wiggle wiggle go the tongues of the organs
Licking the face of the man they call old
His hands have seen many an organ.
And his face many a tongue.
I need a rhyme to finish this off.
Or I could be edgy, not rhyme and be bold.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Web Wizard

Web Wizard

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Pudabudigada wrote:
Also, see if you can't get two 500GB hard drives instead of a single 1TB one, hard drives are capricious beasts, prone to failure, so that way if one dies you'll still have a usable system, and won't lose all your data, just some of it.

Or four 250GB hard drives in RAID 3, 4 or 0+1

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Foxtrot813 wrote:
Pudabudigada wrote:

Or four 250GB hard drives in RAID 3, 4 or 0+1

That would probably use up all the 3 1/4" drive bays, that's why I said two. (And then he couldn't have a floppy drive! (I refuse to -or recommend anyone else to- deploy a desktop system without a floppy drive!)).

If you did the four 250GB drives with RAID 0+1, you'd only get 500GB of space, level 3 or higher would knock you down to 250GB.

For a home system, you almost certainly don't need RAID anyway, it would be simpler and cheaper just to have NAS (network attached storage) -that you can access from any PC on your LAN- and copy any important files or disk images to that.

If you were to have RAID, though, I'd probably go for two 1TB drives in RAID 1.

i

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Midna Devotee

Midna Devotee

Thank you very much for the help. I'm going to be honest and say parts of it completely flew over my head, but I understood most of it.

UPDATE: Took what advice I understood, I now have a proper mobo for my graphics, a nice case that is half the price, and two good HDDs.

Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Web Wizard

Web Wizard

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Pudabudigada wrote:
If you did the four 250GB drives with RAID 0+1, you'd only get 500GB of space, level 3 or higher would knock you down to 250GB.

Level 3 or 4 will knock you down to 750GB, not 250...

Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:10 pm
Profile WWW

Midnaholic

Midnaholic

Foxtrot813 wrote:
Pudabudigada wrote:

Level 3 or 4 will knock you down to 750GB, not 250...

Three identical 250GB data drives plus parity for level three gives you 250GB, four data and parity for four gives 250GB also, unless my understanding is incomplete?

i

Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next