View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Increase Computer Speed Significantly 

Triforce of Courage

Triforce of Courage

Post Increase Computer Speed Significantly
Okay, here is a short guide outlining a few tricks to keep your computer running in tip top condition. This guide is by meh.

*Note some steps leave parts up to your judgment, if you don't know what your doing, don't do it. I won't be held accountable for any damages. Steps that are potentially dangerous are marked with a *

Okay first up is a program called CCleaner.

Begin by downloading CCleaner, and specifically choosing the most recent version.

Then, follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Double-click on the "My Computer" icon.
3. Select the "Tools" menu and click "Folder Options".
4. After the new window appears select the "View" tab.
5. Place a checkmark in the checkbox labeled "Display the contents of system folders".
6. Under the "Hidden files and folders" section select the radio button labeled "Show hidden files and folders".
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide file extensions for known file types".
8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled "Hide protected operating system files". 9. Press the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button and shutdown My Computer. NOT THE COMPUTER ITSELF
10. Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.

Now, install the program. Open it, and choose the 'Options' tab. Inside, hit the 'Include' tab, and add the following folders (Note: Not all of these files are on every computer. If one of these isn't present, skip it):

C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Local Settings\History
C:\Documents and Settings\<Every user listed>\Cookies
C:\Windows\Prefetch

After doing this, move back to the 'Cleaner' tab, and inside this, be sure your open to the 'Windows' tab. Inside, check the box labeled 'Custom Files and Folders'.

Next, after following all of these steps, you're ready to scan. Run scans in both the 'Cleaner' and 'Issues'. Note: It might take several scans in each to remove all of the junk.

Also Run the Registry tab as well. Make sure to make a backup, although I've never had any problems with this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for XP User I present the Windows XP Optimizer.

Easy installation
Optimizing your XP system is just 6 steps away!!

step 1 - Download the Thoosje_Quick_XP_Optimizer_by_Thoosje.zip file from one of the download servers.

step 2 - Unzip the file with winzip or a similar program.

step 3 - Run the Thoosje Quick XP Optimizer.msi file

step 4 - Start the Thoosje Quick XP Optimizer from the shortcut on your desktop or via Start in program files

step 5
- Select what you want to optimize and click the Optimize button

step 6 - Simply go through and check the boxes you want optimized.*

Uninstall Un-used Programs

For this all you need to do is go to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and then uninstall the ones you never use or need.*

Configuring less things to run on start up.

Go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" without the quotes into the box and hit enter.

On the window that pops up, go to the services tab and check the box that says "Hide all Microsoft service" Then go through and uncheck any unneeded services such as itunes stuff.

Now go to the Startup tab and uncheck any programs that are unneeded such as updaters and media players.

Download a Faster More Secure Browser

When it comes to the internet, Internet Explorer is most vulnerable to attack. Here are some alternatives I would Recommend.

Mozilla Firefox - A great browsers with a ton of add-ons and perks. It is secure and follows standards and is probably the best browser out there.

Safari - This browser is a port from the MAC to the PC. Its is secure and moderately fast. One Downside is that it is a little bland.

Google Chrome - The new breakthrough speed demon. It is fast secure and simple. However it is still in beta and has a few issues that need to be worked out. Surprisingly it is one of the most standard browsers out there.

Opera - I haven't had much experience with it, but it is the browser of the Wii and I have heard good things about it from its users.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay Malware Free

Norton is BAD: Norton is a memory hog that provides pathetic protection against Malware. If you have it I strongly Recommend Getting a different Security Suite

AVG - This is by far the best balance of protection and speed. Not only does it run without affecting performance it also actively scans files for viruses and catches the most discreet of them. Its definitely worth the money. There is also a free version that offers almost the same amount of protection.

MacAfee - This is a very decent Protector, however it does use quite a bit of memory. Not as much as Norton, but still a good amount. Overall its pretty good.

Avast - This is a free program that is pretty damn good for being free.

SpyBot Search & Destroy - Probably similar to CCleaner (which I had a bad experience with and never used again), removing spyware and such. It also has an optional background process that will notify you on any changes to the registry. The site happens to be down as I write this, but it'll be back up eventually.

SpywareBlaster - This downloads a database of known malicious sites and blocks them with the computer's HOSTS file. In other words, any attempts to connect to any of those sites will be rejected. This is much like SpyBot's Immunize feature, but with a much more extensive list. Since using this program I have not had so much as a tracking cookie result from any spyware scanners.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defragmenting

Defragmentation is the process of locating the noncontiguous fragments of data into which a computer file may be divided as it is stored on a hard disk, and rearranging the fragments and restoring them into fewer fragments or into the whole file. Defragmentation reduces data access time and allows storage to be used more efficiently. Some operating systems automatically defragment storage periodically; others require that the user occasionally use a special utility for this purpose. Windows 98 comes with a built-in defragmenter as a "system tool" that the user can run. Windows NT did not come with a defragmenter because its file system, NTFS, was designed to minimize fragmentation; however, NT users often find one necessary and several vendors provide defragmenters. Windows 2000 comes with a "light" version of the Diskeeper defragmenter; some users (especially corporate users) use Diskeeper or some other full-function defragmentation program to manage storage efficiency and performance. Windows XP comes with a utility called "Disk Defragmenter."

There are many programs that defragment, but I will only list two.

The first is to simply run the Windows Defragmenting Utility.

-Just go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Defragmenter and run it. DON'T END THE DEFRAGMENTING PROGRESS BEFORE ITS FINISHED.

The second is to buy a program like PerfectDisk and run that.

Pretty simple way to increase performance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well there it is. My guide to a faster computer. I'll probably think of more later, so expect some edits. Have fun, but be careful.

Because when Kyle says "everything on the internet is free"... he's lying.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:14 am
Profile YIM WWW

two loaves of bread

WMB Punching Bag

WMB Punching Bag

Post Re: Increase Computer Speed Significantly
Here's one that should be pretty obvious: Make sure there's only one OS on your comp. Having Windows 2000 and XP on the same comp (or at least, on the same partition) will slow it down significantly. Hopefully, you're not in this situation, though. :lol:

Also, good guide, kyle. ;) I already did most of that stuff, but now that I know there's a program that'll do it for me, I won't delete all of my cookies and temp files manually anymore. =D Yayz!

Oh, and IE uses a lot less memory for flash based stuff (or so I've heard), so if you plan on watching a live stream of something, go ahead and do it from IE while using a different browser for your other web needs.

Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:46 am
Profile WWW

Triforce of Courage

Triforce of Courage

DaKing9 wrote:
Oh, and IE uses a lot less memory for flash based stuff (or so I've heard), so if you plan on watching a live stream of something, go ahead and do it from IE while using a different browser for your other web needs.

Actually you would want to use Google Chrome. It has the fastest flashness. :)

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:39 am
Profile YIM WWW

Here today, Maybe tomorrow...

Bearer of the Triforce

Bearer of the Triforce

DaKing9 wrote:
Here's one that should be pretty obvious: Make sure there's only one OS on your comp. Having Windows 2000 and XP on the same comp (or at least, on the same partition) will slow it down significantly. Hopefully, you're not in this situation, though. :lol:

Unless you like your computer Dual-boot DaK

Another thing is to install programs on a portable hard-drive if you have one.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:50 am

two loaves of bread

WMB Punching Bag

WMB Punching Bag

Midna's Hero wrote:
DaKing9 wrote:

dual boot = do not want. Nowhere near enough RAM on any of my (personally) computers to run two OS's at once. O.o

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:55 am
Profile WWW

Triforce of Courage

Triforce of Courage

DaKing9 wrote:
Midna's Hero wrote:
DaKing9 wrote:

dual boot = do not want. Nowhere near enough RAM on any of my (personally) computers to run two OS's at once. O.o

You don't have run em at the same time. You usually select at start up which one you want.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

Here today, Maybe tomorrow...

Bearer of the Triforce

Bearer of the Triforce

kylethedarkn wrote:
DaKing9 wrote:
Midna's Hero wrote:
DaKing9 wrote:

You don't have run em at the same time. You usually select at start up which one you want.

Basically Dual-boot is for people who can't choose between two OSes like me for example I prefer both Mac and PC

Some prefer Linux and PC

The possibilities are endless with dual - even quint (5) boot.

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]