View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Design a Dungeon #1 

Humans Find Such Fascinating Ways to Waste Their Time.

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Hello all, and welcome to the first Design-a-Dungeon competition!

After quite a bit of brainstorming, LWM and I are bringing you the first WMB competition in months, so, you better all enjoy it. ;)

So here's how this competition works...

RULES: Read Carefully! (It's a lot!)

Sign-Ups
There are a set number of categories for dungeon components which will be listed below. Up to three people may sign up for one category. (this is a first-come-first-serve deal, although if you want to switch categories, you may at any time.) There must be a minimum of two sign-ups for a category to stay in the competition.

There is a one week sign-up period for categories. After the first week, if there are any categories that have one or no sign-ups, those categories are eliminated and are no longer part of the competition. If the category had one sign-up, the person who signed up for that category will be PMed and asked to change categories in order to be able to participate in the competition.

The categories are as follows:

Design a Dungeon Map
Design a Boss Room
Design a Boss
Design a Mini Boss
Design the Dungeon Item
Create a Puzzle
Create the Temple Lore
Compose the Dungeon Theme Music

Judges
Anyone may sign up to be a judge, including people who are participating in the competition! However, in order for there to be an overall vote, there must be at least two judges who DO NOT PARTICIPATE in the actual competition! Judges participating in the competition will be split into separate groups. That way, judges who are participating cannot judge their own category. In effect, the judging will be split into two subcategories, with some judges judging half the categories and the other judges judging the other half. Once the category winners are chosen, judges will do an overall vote across all categories to determine an overall winner.

If you wish to become a judge, please post here as if you were signing up for the competition. If you wish to judge and compete, you may state that you wish to be a judge and name which category you wish to sign up for.

Judging occurs the final week of the competition!

Competition Schedule:
Week 1 is dedicated to Sign-Ups. There may be an overflow of a few days to make sure everyone gets into a category in case ones need to be eliminated.

Weeks 2 and 3 are dedicated to the actual creative process. This is when you get to make your entry!

Week 4 is dedicated to judging! After the entry period has ended, participants must PM their entries to the ASSIGNED JUDGES in your category!

Awards
There is a badge award awarded to the following:

-Each individual category winner
-The overall winner
-All judges (all judges get a "judge" award by default that tallies how many times they've judged competitions.)

----------------------------------------------
Finally, the moment you've been waiting for: The Dungeon theme! Themes are chosen using a RNG for two separate topics, in order to make the most unique themes possible! (this also prevents the people who are creating the competition from knowing the theme beforehand!)

And Competition #1's theme is....

Prison/Dungeon (think Arbiter's Grounds) with enemies that are frozen when they are being watched! (like Weeping Angels or Boos)

So, entrants must create something thematically related to something like a prison-type dungeon with enemies that only move when they are not being watched. (Note: Some categories may not have to follow this exactly, but how closely and creatively you meet the theme will earn you more points when judging occurs!)

*Important note: Even though each entrant follows the above theme, they do NOT need to have entries that coordinate with other entrants. No one is supposed to know what you've come up with, therefore no one is expected to coordinate perfectly with other entrants. Therefore, if you design a bow-like weapon for the dungeon weapon, whoever is designing the boss doesn't have to have a boss with a large eye.

------------------------------
ENTRANTS:

The following are people who have signed up for this competition:

Design a Dungeon Map

Design a Boss Room

Design a Boss
-Spookypatrol

Design a Mini Boss

Design the Dungeon Item
-5RingWrestling

Create a Puzzle

Create the Temple Lore
-Eclipse
-omegabrand2770
-KXR Chaos

Compose the Dungeon Theme Music

JUDGES

Judging Group #1
-Spookypatrol

Judging Group #2

Overall Judges
-Korppi8
-LightWorldMidna
-FEZeldalord12345

*note, the categories that each judging group encompasses will be determined after sign-ups end
------------------------------
If you have any questions, or if you wish to sign-up for the competition, for judging, or both, please reply here!

-Edric, on the subjectivity of "evil"

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 pm
Profile WWW

ilvl 684 Neckbeard

Midna Fan

Midna Fan

I'd like to sign up for creating the temple lore :rave:

Flames are similar to life. Starts out blooming and invigorated, then inevitably ends up as just a charred husk

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Alright! You've been added, Eclipse :3

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:07 pm
Profile WWW

Xenoblade X

Serious Business

Serious Business

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

I'd like to sign up for "designing" a mini boss please. So I take it the one week sign ups is when we come up with ideas before we start working on our entries? Another question, does it HAVE to be a drawing? Like can I use some other medium? Also regarding the enemies. I'm a bit confused, does the idea of them not moving while you are facing them apply to the boss and mini boss design as well or is it completely separate?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:45 pm
Profile WWW

Dont look here

Bearer of the Elements

Bearer of the Elements

Badges:
Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Design a Dungeon #1
Sign me up for temple lore

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 pm

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Squid, it doesn't have to be a drawing. You can use any medium and be as creative as possible. You just have to get your idea across. And you can start brainstorming during sign up week if you want, but remember that unless you get someone else in your category something might change. Sign ups for this competition will likely be extended though, so it's your call if you want to brainstorm now.

And as said in the main post, just try to match the theme as close as possible. If you can integrate it, it's advised, but for some categories that's harder to do than others, so if you can't it's no big deal.

Adding you both in now to the sign up list!

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Profile WWW

The Wonderful LPer

Lord of Let's Plays

Lord of Let's Plays

Badges:

Usergroup Bars:

Post Re: Design a Dungeon #1
I'd like to be the judge for puzzles. I'm not entirely sure how well I'd do, but I'm not confident in creating, so I might as well try critiquing.

Actually, this is the mouthful: "Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE!!!"

I now have a Twitch account, so if you want to see me take on challenging games, click below!
http://www.twitch.tv/fezeldalord12345

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Midna was my life.

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

Spookypatrol wrote:
Design a Dungeon Map
Design the Dungeon Item (Concept, likely not an artistic design)

I'm going to try for doing these two. EDIT: If I can only do one, it would be the map, but the item is pretty much vital for the dungeon.
Off-Topic

It sucks that I don't have my tech drafting class anymore, 'cause I would be glad to make a simple 3D render of the dungeon map/layout. Sadly, not happening.

Lament the old days, where everyone was excited for news of Midna being in Hyrule Warriors, and times before that... And now, it's just dust. Unfortunately, all good things are bound to come to an end.

But new good things always have an opportunity to spring up. Where there was WMB, before it truly found its end, a few members moved to a new site, created by our own. DnDarknuts, a Zelda-based roleplay site.

Last edited by TwiliChaos on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 pm
Profile WWW

Soul Collector

Soul Collector

Badges:
ImageImage
Usergroup Bars:

Bleh lemme specify: Only one topic per entrant, sorry! I mean, we might be able to double up entrants... But that'll increase the workload and could cause some competition dominance issues. Which of those two would you rather do, Chaos?

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

Midna was my life.

Midna Fanatic

Midna Fanatic

I will do the map. Since I already started brainstorming for it, I'm choosing the dungeon map.
EDIT: No, wait, the item. I don't think people would really work on a map, and I have a pretty good idea for the item.

Lament the old days, where everyone was excited for news of Midna being in Hyrule Warriors, and times before that... And now, it's just dust. Unfortunately, all good things are bound to come to an end.

But new good things always have an opportunity to spring up. Where there was WMB, before it truly found its end, a few members moved to a new site, created by our own. DnDarknuts, a Zelda-based roleplay site.

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next