Headed solely by Liz “LightWorldMidna” Clarke, this project revolves around the creation of a dozen or so replicas of the iconic Mirror of Twilight. While one iteration will be delivered to Nintendo as a part of Twilight’s Gift, the others are still being commissioned by Clarke.
Featured below is a showcase of the replica’s progress, as well as a kind of journal from the mastermind herself.
Having finally collected everything that I needed, craft knife in hand (and now on a proper rotary blade mat rather than a chunk of cardboard) I began to cut out the design for my template.
Here’s the finished template. It’s half past ten here now, so again, like yesterday, too late to start engraving.
I started cutting out the line plot of the Mirror that my Graphics teacher made for me… and I cut out the wrong bit in the middle. *grumble* So, I then had to print out the picture on my flimsy paper (and by this, I mean I will probably have to make another template some time, because this one will break, I’m certain.), but at least I cut it out right. It took about 1 hour 30 minutes to get to the stage of the first picture, when my neck was ready to fall off, and then a long break, and then another 30minutes-45minutes to finish it.
And give me an extra 30-45 minutes, and I have this:
Here’s the latest look of the first mirror (my arm is killing me). It hasn’t taken that long – I didn’t keep track of the time, but I’m pretty sure this much took me less than an hour. Also, there’s my etching tool!
Oh, one thing, if you look closely, the etching is sightly orange. This is because after I etch, I wipe away the remaining pen, which smudges into the etched areas. Because it’s not a smooth surface, it doesn’t wipe off. But when I’ve wiped off all of the pen design after etching it, I will do a ‘clean-up etch’ – I’ll etch out the orangyness.
So far, so good. Except my mum complaining about the noise coming through the ceiling, but meh, that can’t be helped.
After another half-hour of armache and earache, I have this (I did actually time this one!) :
As you can see, the inner piece of etching is much less orange than the outer part. It’s far cleaner! I found a way to keep it relatively clean while wiping away the orange, which will save me much grief on future mirrors. I would very much like to just give my arm a little rest and do some more work on it, but it’s getting late, and I’m sure my neighbours don’t want to have the extra earache. By how long this bit has taken me, I’m guessing the first part took 45 minutes at the most, and I’d estimate that etching the entire mirror, plus clean up, would take about three hours in total, probably less. As I get more practice, I should get better and quicker, so… *hopeful!*
And, viola! A finished Mirror of Twilight:
Mirror of Twilight Version 2 (almost finished):
Please ignore the copious amounts of grass.